Sony Walkman TPS-L2 (late model)/WM-3 Recap Forum

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Alim, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Alim

Alim New Member

Good Day!
    Recently I inherited a Sony Walkman WM-3 and ever since then I fell in love with cassettes and Walkmans in general. It is fascinating to see 80s technology last and still continue to work for 40 years! I restored my walkman from its poor condition, mostly due to corrosion from old batteries, which required a full outer-shell respray. I am now planning to recap my walkman however it is very upsetting to see the lack of information of such early models. Therefore after many days of research and measuring, I have finally created a complete list of Electrolytic Capacitors and tantalums required. I hope you will find this useful.

LIST:-
    Main Board
    Aluminium Electrolytic

• 1uf 50v- 4
    • 220uf 6.3v- 2
    • 47uf 6.3v- 5
    • 0.47uf 50v- 2
    • 22uf 6.3v- 2
    • 10uf 16v- 2
    TOTAL = 17 Electrolytic

Servo Amp Board
    • 10uf 6.3v- 1 (tantalum)
    • 0.1uf 16v- 1 (tantalum)
    • 4.7uf 10V- 1 (tantalum)
    • 0.47uf 35v- 1 (tantalum)
    • 33uf 3.15v- 3 (tantalum)
    TOTAL= 7 Tantalums

Jack Board
    • 0.015uf 35v- 1 (tantalum) (For mic)

DC Power Jack

• 220uf 4v - 1 (Electrolytic)

These are the exact uf and Voltages from the service manual. Since things have changed, you might not find the exact voltage stated above for a particular capacitor. It is perfectly alright to use a higher voltage (never lower voltage) capacitor than specified as long as the uf is the same and you have enough space to fit the slightly bigger capacitor.
    I am only replacing the Electrolytic Capacitors since they commonly leak.
    The total cost with Nichicon audio Capacitor was roughly 15US$

I have included a picture of the Highlighted Main board,Servo amp and Jack board Circuit diagram
    *In the mainboard diagram, The ones highlighted in black are for Electrolytic. The ones in yellow are for Ceramic Capacitors.
    **Servo amp and jack board only have tantalums which are marked in red.

CHEERS!

Walkman capacitor highlights.png

Attached Files:

2. Romulo Lubachesky

Romulo Lubachesky Member

It helped a lot...
    In my case, the 22uf and 47uf capacitors were really bad. I changed them all.
    For those who are going to change it, be careful with the final height of the central capacitors, they almost don't touch the gears. The C213 also deserves attention, it should be slightly tilted to the side of the switch, so it won't scrape against the gear.

Alim likes this.