Sony walkman WM-3

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by AussieKen, Sep 2, 2019.

1. AussieKen

AussieKen New Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm looking for the clip that keeps the door of the battery compartment closed. It seems to be a common issue with this model and the TPS-L2.
    Is there anyone who prints these via 3D printing? Any advise/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I don't have that model so I don't know what it looks like but back in the very old days, one of the members was great at fixing doors. He'd take a donor door from a cheap model, cut off the plastic latch and glue it on to a broken door, or he'd fab up a door using plastic sheet. Unfortunately that thread is long gone. I've bought some black pebbled ABS sheet and was hoping to get it out in the shop and do something similar but I haven't had a lot of extra time this year.

3. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a quite common problem for these. There are guys out there who 3D prints them, but some if the results I see online and those made by my friends are somewhat too big and thick. Kinda annoying to see.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2875985

I guess you should be able to make one yourself out of a piece of plastic, but that may be too much of a hassle.

A quick solution I sometimes use is to stick a decorative piece of plastic to cover up the hole (I use blue bottle caps. They're already blue and have nice looking ridges. Still not as thin as the real one, though). Then use tiny magnets inside the battery door as a substitute for a lock. They're not as strong a lock as the real deal perhaps, but good enough for it to not open up by itself.

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking of the 90-degree grab style, I'm not too familar with this style but it looks like it could be duplicated either by making a resin mold or machining one using ABS or even aluminum. I'd have to have one up close to see how it works.

5. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's a spring loaded latch. Quite tiny as well. It should be almost flush with the rest of the unit.