Sony WM-10

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Migilus Migilacuty, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Migilus Migilacuty

Migilus Migilacuty Member

Hello! I've never tried taking photos of my Walkman's, But I thought I'd give it a shot. My WM-10 isn't in great shape, but I very much like it still. I got it to the point where it is somewhat working but it has a few mechanical issues still, and plays way to loud even at the Zero position on the volume knob. any advice on what is wrong would be of great help. Anyway here are the photo's IMG_20180617_113243.jpg I glued the window back together but still has a bad crack
    IMG_20180617_113259.jpg IMG_20180617_113308.jpg IMG_20180617_113336.jpg Size comparison next to one of my favorite tapes IMG_20180617_113552.jpg the battery lid has a broken latch and fell out while I was holding the Walkman and it just fell apart when it hit the ground. Interesting mechanism though... IMG_20180617_113445.jpg IMG_20180617_113509.jpg IMG_20180617_113523.jpg Definitely one of best looking Walkman's ever made in my opinion.

Sköll and ianthepostie like this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Sköll and Migilus Migilacuty like this.
  3. Antoni

Antoni Active Member

Most favorite Walkman ever, I must find a working unit some day.

4. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Beautiful unit but I have had a couple so far but never working!

5. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

WM-10/20 is one of the best Sony designs. I have some WM-10 and all of them are in working condition. The problem i have with WM-10 is the battery door is very difficult to open.
    Is the volume knob issue resolved with DeOxit as "Mister X" recommended?

6. Migilus Migilacuty

I gave it go with some QD contact cleaner, I haven't tested to see if it fixed it I'm still trying to resolve the mechanical issues, Mainly a scrapping noise and the inner part of the spindle not turning, I think it worked though. I won't worry about it since I plan to spend my time replacing the caps, center gear and belts in my near mint WM-5, Which I will try to post pictures of in higher quality. I hope to use the WM-5 as my daily use Walkman.

Sköll and Boodokhan like this.
  7. Sköll

Sköll Member

Other than the cracked window that wm-10 looks to be in great condition! Nice!

Migilus Migilacuty likes this.
  8. Sköll

Sköll Member

Open it up and see if the noise is coming from the smaller wheel which I believe controls the play/ff spindle. It's a common issue I've heard. If the walkman gets squeezed to hard on the back it becomes lose causing it to wobble and the belt tilts it causing it to scrape against the back and one of the small white gears under it. This can be fixed by putting a pad under the wheel to level it out and a pad on the back (the shell) to be safe. I'll attach a picture of what it mine looked like tilted. Although yours sounds to be way worse to the point of it not turning.

It is currently sent out to someone to be fixed. (Vosscollectables on ebay). I sent him my broken silver and red wm10 a while ago and he tried to fully repair/refurbish it for 80$ but he ended up offering me another unit that was blue and gold but in way way better mechanical and cosmetic condition than mine. In mine a battery desintigrated the electronics. Looked like the battery was in it since it was made. So he sent me the other one in fully functioning order. However in transit something must have happened causing that wheel to become lose. So he took it back free of charge and is going to send it back to be again within the next couple of days. Here are some videos. One that I uploaded of the noises and two of ones he uploaded after he did the pad repair thing.

So since yours is having mechanical issues he should have parts for it from the electronically fried one I sent him. I highly recommend him if you resort to sending it out. I basically got a almost mint wm-10 for about 200$, (including shipping and the price I paid for the red and white one)

My video, take the back off and see if they sound similar.

His videos,

Attached Files:

9. Migilus Migilacuty

Thank you very much, this helps tremendously

Sköll likes this.
  10. Sköll

Sköll Member

no problem

11. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I would like to send a walkman to Vosscollectables to get fixed. and i will update members about his/her work
    (I contacted Vosscollectables on ebay to see whether or not he/she is willing to fix one of my walkmans.)
    thank you Sköll

12. Sköll

Sköll Member

Oh nice, no problem.

13. flash_the_84

flash_the_84 Member

The WM-10/20 is a wonderful unit. I hope you get to make it work perfectly, it is such a great one (I used to "daily" one for a few months!)

14. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Yep. My favourite Sony Walkman too! You might have to adjust the right and left volume channels on the board/pcb itself. But i'd use some De-oxit first to see if that will help.

15. Migilus Migilacuty

I finally got around to working on my wm-10 today (been kinda busy, also lazy) and i fixed all the mechanical issues so mechanically speaking it works perfect, But it still plays to loud when at lowest volume, I also noticed it plays in mono but when i turn up the volume it goes back into stereo. Any thoughts?

Sköll likes this.
  16. Migilus Migilacuty

worked on it some trying to fix the volume issue but i finally decided to just swap out the main board with a busted wm-10ii's, and it actually worked perfectly for a bit but after putting it together i realized that i forgot to screw in 1 inner screw and the belt had a little gunk on it cause some flutter. I took it apart again and screwed the screw back in and cleaned the belt, Now it has mechanical issues again, and the battery compartment is extremely picky of where the battery is placed to power on. so this unit is stupidly fragile to say the least.

Sköll likes this.