Sony WM-F501 playback problems

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by kui, Feb 21, 2024.

Tags:
  1. kui

kui New Member

Hi, I have a Sony Walkman WM-F501 model that I've had for a while. Recently a problem developed that I could not get any playback on the FWD side, the tape would just stop spinning and the auto reverse would kick in, or they would only spin momentarily before stopping, and then the player would automatically set it to stop. Playing it back on the REV side does work but there's an audible clicking noise along with the motor sound and the audio sounds wonky as if the motor is struggling to play it at full speed. Do note the fast forward and rewind functions with a cassette inserted on both forward and reverse sides. Any help knowing with the issue is appreciated.

2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Your problem is a cracked takeup reel ring gear, common problem on many series using this type of table reel design: WM-10/20/30, WM-100/200/500 series.
    Solution is to repair this ring gear using epoxy. You remove the table reel, clean the crack area with IPA, add the epoxy and let it harden to the point where it's still soft enough to mold the teeth into it, but hard enough that the epoxy is not sticky anymore.
    Then put the reel back and mold the new teeth by rotating the reel so the ring gear makes contact with driving gear. See picture attached.

Attached Files:

sickly_b and Emiel like this.
  3. kui

kui New Member

Thank you for the advice. I'll have a look at it in the afternoon but accessing it is just by taking that plate to the right of the big reel off if Im not missing anything. Mechanism looks nearly identical to on my device.

Attached Files:

4. Valentin

Yes, on WM-100/200/500 series table reel is very easy to remove: just open the door and remove the split washer holding it while keeping the reel pressed with your finger (it's under tension as there's a spring underneath).
    On WM10/20/30 it's way more complicated requiring disassembly of the entire mechanism. But fortunately you're not in this situation.

5. Thomas Monteith

Thomas Monteith Active Member

That looks like my wm-504!

6. Valentin

It is your WM-504, it's the only good picture I have with the repair of this gear.
    Repairs done on WM-10/20/30 units are not as visible as the teeth are recessed inside the chassis.

Thomas Monteith likes this.