Swatch, Casio Data Bank, Seiko and Other Watches

Discussion in 'Brochures, advertising, data & specs...' started by Mister X, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

2. nickelindimer

nickelindimer Active Member

Still remember getting my first: A Databank 50 in silver. Then one in black, then a cellphone, followed by a Palm Zire 72 PDA.

Mister X likes this.
  3. Mister X

I didn't get the Palm, I was close but I went for the HP with early Windows CE. I still have it and fire it up once in a while.

4. Mister X

5. nickelindimer

Wait... you had a Jornada? I picked up one at a garage sale in the Brookfield area, not long after I started upgrading on my Zire and found it short on compatible apps! However, by the time I got the Jornada, there wasn't really any support for it... and though I did find a few accessories--namely the camera--it mainly just served as a dust collector, when I wasn't playing solitare on it. Plus, I eventually got a used Palm Treo 600 as my phone, before finally getting my first smartphone: An LG Optimus. (Price: Cheap!:nwink:)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    Mister X likes this.
  6. Mister X

I have the small four button Jornada and also have the 720 with the tinie-tiny keyboard. The hand helds were so nice for work, having appointments and phone numbers was priceless. My company was too cheap to get laptops for us they thought it was a security issue. Hooking the 720 up to DSL internet was amazing, it was so small but you could surf like a desktop.

7. nickelindimer

I have to say: If there's one thing I miss about the Zire (Did the Treo 600 have it, too?:thinking:) is the Graffiti-2 text entry method. Took a moment to learn, but was far-easier than triple-punching buttons on the Treo's "bread of bees" keyboard... and sometimes preferable to even the virtual keyboard in use as I write this!:nwink:

8. Mister X

The handwritting software was pretty amazing in some of those PDAs but some had crap, same with the word suggestions, I had an early phone similar to the Treo, it might have been one, that would know exactly what I wanted to type, I still have a hard time with phones today doing the same.

9. nickelindimer

Yeah, I suffer the same... Sometimes it's spot-on, and others it like "Why the HELL would I want to write that...!?"

Mister X likes this.
  10. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Whoah! Those are absolutely lovely watches. I dreamed about a calculator watch back then, but never had one.

Mister X likes this.
  11. nickelindimer

I hope you mean one with actual buttons... because all I've had were one's with a membrane touchpad, and unless you had a firm fingernail with a bit of length, you'd be searching for a pen. Not to mention how the icons wore-off with use.:ohno2:

12. walkman archive

Yes, I mean those old casio with physical buttons. Although I've also have one of those touchpad flexible ones.

13. Mister X

14. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

A couple of months ago I bought a new old stock Casio FS00 which is a databank.
    It is also only 5mm thick and has a backlight unlike anything I have seen on an LCD before.

Casio FS00.JPG Casio FS00 backlight.JPG

Mister X likes this.
  15. Mister X

That's wild, never seen one before. I thought it was a Hong Kong Special before I read your description, it's very out-there for Casio. Any idea what year it is? Definitely a score!

16. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Here is someone else's video review. Only Casio would go so OTT with such thinness and the animated displays.

I think these are 1990s. There was a range of about ten of them, many with both analogue and digital displays (although there are thicker copies of some of those).
    Google Casio Film Watch for more details. A complete contrast to today's fashion in watches, which someone compared to fitting a strap to an alarm clock

17. Mister X

Those are really neat, Casio was such a fascinating company, just pumping out tons of different variations of cool watches, small TVs and calculators. It's too bad their cassette players are pretty much entry-level, they may even have hurt the brand by being so underwhelming compared to the rest of offerings. I rarely run across watches at the local thrifts and sales, most are from the 50's and 60's, I guess that means in another 20 years or so we'll start seeing the 80's watches coming out. I've hung on to a ton of my old watches.

18. walkman archive

19. Mister X

Just shuffling paperwork at my desk and found some more! Unfortunately the American Radio History Site had a server go down last week, they have to upload 75% of their content back up. I was looking up Longman's Watch and forgot about all of the really fringe models Casio put out, the sun tan model is on my radar now, I'll have to find an ad for it.

Casio TS-3000 1982.jpg

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  20. Mister X