The Gift of Music

Discussion in 'Cassettes' started by Longman, Nov 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Today I went for a last look around "non essential" shops including some charity shops before lockdown starts again. Being a Sunday there were only a couple open, but I did pick up.
    Abba.JPG
    Back from the days when most people had some music on Santa's list.

While I know the song was written about drugs, Martika's Toy Soldiers might be appropriate today.

The competition on the Abba Cassette made me think of @Jorge
    Unfortunately I am 39 years and 10 months too late to enter.
    Was Super trooper really that long ago?

They must have anticipated selling a lot of copies of Super Trooper cassettes as a Saab turbo cost about £12000 back then and the prize also included a £700 car stereo "for you to enjoy ABBA while you are travelling".
    Abba Competition.JPG

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    WheelyPanamax2, Mister X and Jorge like this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Now I have to record some ABBA cassette for my SAAB: maybe it will push it to 200k? Nice car, almost zero troubles for now at 160k mileage, but its time for an ‘upgrade’.

WheelyPanamax2, Longman and Mister X like this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I thought you had a Jeep Jorge, is your SAAB newer? I haven't seen many around here in a few years, the dealership changed brands. 160K is nothing for a car now but you have to replace the shocks, bushings and some of the other little bits so they still turn and stop nice.

WheelyPanamax2 and Jorge like this.
  4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

No Saab cars have been made since 2014 so it isn't surprising you haven't seen many around.
    I would guess the main issue with Saab now is getting any spare parts if you need them.

WheelyPanamax2, Mister X and Jorge like this.
  5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Jeep Wrangler is my wife's 'Forever Young' toy-car: she finally fell out of love with RangeRovers: what a pain in the butt $$$-Black-Hole-dumps those are!!! BUT: their air-bag shock-absorbers are Heavenly!!!
    Finding parts for Saab is surprisingly easy here, when I feel like getting manly and dirty I fix it myself; and my son, being crazy about autos helps me sometimes. But its time to check if magic of ABBA will work :)

I will ask my son to translate this for me, while on COVID-19 slow-down maybe its a good idea to do some preventive maintenance. By Boss/wife insists on getting Jeep Grand Cherokee, but I am not a big fan of SUVs. Unfortunately, The Boss does not care much about my preferences, the only niche I managed to carve for myself is loud music and audio-toys ;)

WheelyPanamax2 and Mister X like this.
  6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Oh man, no wonder there's no Saabs anymore, I guess there's still Volvo. Most cars will run a long time these days but when the steering isn't tight or the front end drops when stopping, it means it needs new "wear parts." I like BMW cuz I can wrench on them straight sixes all day long, at 60,000 they need most of the plastic pieces under the engine replaced, they get hard or fall apart. My little car has a boatload of miles but new shocks, bushings (there's around 6-8 per side), and the thing handles like new and doesn't have that metal clanging noise when you hit a pothole.

WheelyPanamax2 likes this.