The marvelous Sony WM-D6C

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by flash_the_84, May 19, 2018.

1. flash_the_84

flash_the_84 Member

I recently got an amazing deal on a D6C, that included a fully working, very good condition unit, the leather case in (frankly) good condition, an original 6V Sony power brick, a leather pouch that carries additional batteries and also the optional Sony BP-23 battery pack ! (I don't have it with me, as I plan on trashing it, being basically 4 old leaking rechargeable double A's in a plastic carriage.). I managed to bargain 100€ of the price, and got all of this for 250€, which is, in my books, a pretty good deal. Here is a picture of the whole set first.
    reduced_IMG_20180519_183723.jpg

I never got such high fidelity sound from a tape, and I still cannot believe how good it sounds, even without Dr Walkman's Super-D6C upgrades. There is barely even a scratch on the actual unit as you'll see here.
    reduced_IMG_20180516_233649.jpg

Linear volume pot track is very clean.
    reduced_IMG_20180516_233835.jpg

Not a crack or scratch on the back either.
    reduced_IMG_20180516_233933.jpg

The only bugging thing here is the Dolby logo at 0VU that is a little bit worn.
    reduced_IMG_20180516_233733.jpg

Here's some more close-ups.
    The side with the mic attenuator and manual level.
    reduced_IMG_20180516_233817.jpg

Speed accuracy warranty!
    reduced_IMG_20180516_233855.jpg

And the top once again. "Stereo Cassette-Corder WM-D6C'
    reduced_IMG_20180516_233957.jpg

Thank you for reading!

2. Nesara

Nesara New Member

yes but it's NOT handheld so it doesn't count

Jorge and flash_the_84 like this.
  3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

If one has Big Hands, as our beloved President, for such folks D6 is a hand-held ;)

Nice score, Congrats!!!
    I paid even less for my boxed WM-D6 last year, but I had a lot of help from the folks here: @Boodokhan found it for me and posted at "the best Walkman deals" thread and @Deb64 post on how to fix fried chip (at tapeheads forum) saved its life!
    new rubber from @mihokm is a must, and it takes just a few minutes to install!! :)

Boodokhan and flash_the_84 like this.
  4. Deb64

Deb64 Active Member

Thanks for the mentions Jorge.

I'm working on restoring 2 WM-D6s at the moment. One is an immaculate example which I'm repairing for a customer.

The other unit, which I bought from Ebay, has had a very interesting life. I may do a separate write up on that.

@flash_the_84 you have a very nice WM-D6C there for a very good price.

I have also posted my fix for the WM-D6 CP602 Servo Circuit Unit here on Stereo2Go:

http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/thr...fast-repair-of-cp602-servo-circuit-unit.1853/

Jorge and flash_the_84 like this.
  5. flash_the_84

flash_the_84 Member

I have very long fingers myself and holding it is the least of the issue on this, haha.

Jorge likes this.