The most beautiful cassette deck from Kenwood I have ever seen.

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by Retro Audio Museum, Sep 24, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Retro Audio Museum

Retro Audio Museum Well-Known Member

Kenwood KX-400 Stereo Cassette Deck, made in Japan in 1980, is probably the most beautiful cassette deck ever created by Kenwood. Yes, it is quite simple: just one electronically controlled DC model, only 2 heads, and it is suitable for only two types of tapes - normal and CrO2.

Kenwood03.jpg

However, the main advantage of this deck is that there is no reclining door with the cassette holder. The compact cassette can be inserted directly into the cassette deck mechanism, and it gives more stability to the movement of the tape. When the compact cassette is out, you can protect the heads with the special plastic cover. The frequency response is 30 Hz - 16000 Hz (CrO2) with a signal-to-noise ratio of 60 dB (Dolby On) and the Wow & Flutter of 0.05% only.

2. sickly_b

sickly_b Active Member

It's a beauty - I remember I had 2 of them in their Trio branding - sold one and my brother in law still uses the other. There are other matching components as I also had the amp - brilliant kit

TRIO (11).JPG

Papa, LIVO, Mister X and 2 others like this.
  3. soluna

soluna Active Member

This great cassette window is very nice. And the meters too.

Retro Audio Museum likes this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Yes very nice and the cassette holder is killer, I love that you can see the heads, too bad they didn't have modern LED back then.

Retro Audio Museum likes this.