ToshibaKT-VS1

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Philip Taylor, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Active Member

To try and get the posts back on track ,here are a couple of pictures of a new old Toshiba KT -VS1 in red which I managed to pick up along with a similar one in Blue. These models have the fast forward / reverse controls by push buttons on the top of the lid which make contact with the top of the tape cogs to FF /RR . I recall reading that they were not the best method to use and they became faulty over time. However it is I think quite a nice unit . Anyway, I hope members will be glad to see a post other than spam

Attached Files:

Boodokhan likes this.
  2. stuck-in-time

stuck-in-time Well-Known Member

The earlier models with the FF/Rew buttons on the door do have that problem. The spindles are friction fit and yet they're always being pushed outwards by the spring below. The spring's a bit more powerful than your usual spindle spring since it also serve as are part of the FF/Rew transport mechanism. Later models (like the KT-V780) solved this problem by separating the "button" from the spindle. Instead of pressing on the spindle itself, they have designed a rod that goes down through the middle of the spindle axle. The spindle itself is just a spindle and is now held in place with a washer.

Boodokhan likes this.
  3. Philip Taylor

Philip Taylor Active Member

Many thanks stuck -in-time . That is reassuring I was not aware of the changes that were made to the later models Many thanks

stuck-in-time likes this.
  4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I have multiple KT-VS1 , You will have a lot of fun replacing the belt on this model. Apart from Flimsy FFW/REW buttons there is no other weakness with this model. Capacitors are usually fine with this model (or any TOSHIBA Walky). Overall this model is one of the basic model among TOSHIBA Walky series.

I like KT-AS1 specially in mustard color better than this model but there is another challenge/ weakness with KT-AS1 and this specific problem goes with the tape selector (metral/NL) and Dolby (IN/OUT) buttons. Those who worked with this model know about the issue.