Versatile Entertainment Unveiled: The National Panasonic TR-4002S TV Radio Cassette Recorder of 1981

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Retro Audio Museum, Oct 1, 2023.

1. Retro Audio Museum

Retro Audio Museum Active Member

The National Panasonic TR-4002S TV Radio Cassette Recorder, manufactured in 1981 in Japan, stands as a testament to Matsushita's commitment to versatility and innovation in the realm of portable entertainment devices. This multifaceted gadget seamlessly combines a 9 cm black and white television, a comprehensive radio section, a cassette player with intriguing features, and even a digital alarm clock, all within a single, compact unit.

Pan03.jpg

The TR-4002S boasts a sleek and timeless design with silver and black housing that exudes a classic charm. Measuring 31 x 10 x 23 cm (W x H x D) and weighing a mere 3.3 kg, this device is remarkably portable and can be conveniently transported to various locations, whether it's your living room, bedroom, car, or boat.

One of the standout features of this device is its versatility in offering various forms of entertainment. The 9 cm black and white television provides VHF/UHF reception, ensuring access to a broad range of channels. The radio section covers FM, MW, and SW bands, ensuring you can tune in to your favorite stations with ease.

The cassette section is a standout feature with a built-in condenser microphone and a tape-type switch for CrO2 and Normal tapes. An external Panasonic TNQ8305 microphone can be connected and attached as a matching unit. The frequency response is 80Hz - 15000Hz (CrO2) with a sound output of 2W. Additionally, the automatic tape-end switch-off feature adds convenience to your listening experience. Whether you're recording your voice or enjoying your favorite music, the TR-4002S has you covered.

Another notable feature is the integrated digital alarm clock, featuring a 24-hour liquid crystal display. This addition makes the TR-4002S a versatile companion in your daily routine, ensuring you never miss an appointment or oversleep.

The controls for the alarm clock and cassette recorder are thoughtfully grouped on the top of the device, enhancing user convenience. This well-designed layout simplifies operation, ensuring that users can easily navigate through the various functions and settings.

The TR-4002S offers flexibility with its triple power supply options. It can be powered through mains connection, car/boat battery, or dry batteries, making it an ideal choice for those on the move. This feature truly transforms the TR-4002S into a mobile entertainer, whether you're on a road trip or simply relaxing at home.

The TR-4002S incorporates a sleep timer, which can automatically switch off the device, allowing you to drift off to sleep to your favorite music or radio station. Additionally, the wake-up options via radio, television, or buzzer ensure that you start your day on the right note.

nickeccles, Emiel and Mister X like this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I love the late 70's portable TV boomboxes, they were so expensive back then so we saw very few of them. Most of these have killer build quality and a lot of metal chassis parts so they also weight a ton. If you haven't seen my TV on the Radio Thread, I use a Blonder Tongue to broadcast to my little TV sets, its fun to still use them plus you could put together a video of your business or just play cool old music videos.

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

The cheaper models such as Crown seemed to be quite popular here in the U.K. Recently I watched a TV programme about the 1981 Royal Wedding. It was surprising how many people in the crowd had small TVs like this. However, in the days before big outdoor screens or smartphones they would be the only way of seeing what was going on inside Westminster Abbey while standing outside it. They did tend to eat through batteries but for a one off occasion like that people were prepared to buy a new set of Duracells.

4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

It's so odd that some models that were popular in one part of the world were non-existant over here. Most of the mini-TVs I saw were the larger Sony's that were like 12"x12"x 5", portable but big and heavy. Crown didn't have a huge market and definately were weak with little TVs. I did finally find one that I'll post in the TV thread one of these days.