What's Known About This Hitachi Model?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Easthelp, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Easthelp

Easthelp Active Member

Hi, folks. Does anyone know what month and what year the Hitachi TRK-W555W was made? One unit is being sold for about $150 by an eBay seller in the Republic of Georgia (with sizeable shipping costs, of course). A simple Google search doesn't seem to yield any more information (in English) on that dual-cassette-deck model. Of course, I mean details that one can't simply "lift" from the rear data plate of that "uses 10 'D' cells," 35-watt machine. I'm bringing this up on account of my since having noticed the eye-blinking (or is that "head-shaking"?) absence of what I prefer to think of as a Very Necessary feature, as Salt-N-Pepa would have put it circa 1993. (What was this "portable component system" supposed to be -- Hitachi's dubious competition with likely better-known models like the Sharp GF-800?)

2. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I ran into Salt-N-Pepa back in the late 80s, they were at a Holiday Inn and I was a young delivery boy, one thing lead to another and before I knew it they were asking if they could go out shopping and it was a long tour, not to me but to the tour manager. The Hitachi kind of reminds me of them, two decks that play music, somewhat rare, kind of good looking but only somewhat timeless. I'd get a CD copy of TPR's old Boombox Guide, I have to believe it's all in there.

Cassette2go likes this.
  4. Cassette2go

I have a copy of the dvd 6.5gb BBDB

5. Mister X

I've never seen a page, does it have the build dates for boxes? 6.5 GB is huge, sounds like it might be a good investment what else is in it and is it still available?

6. Easthelp

Easthelp Active Member

Thanks for the advice, Mr Pierce. (Though quite involved and quite technical to carry out.) And, Mister X, thanks for sharing your late-Eighties memories of (presumably not literally) rubbing shoulders with entertainers. (How much eye-rolling was there from the tour manager for putting up with an unscheduled meeting with you?:biggrin:)

Mister X likes this.
  7. Cassette2go

IMG_6896 BBDB 6 gig size
    IMG_6896 BBDB 6 gig size.JPG
    IMG_6896 BBDB 6 gig size
    IMG_0234 bedroom EOS 70D James BBDB x2 dvd stereo2go.JPG
    IMG_0234 bedroom EOS 70D James BBDB x2 dvd stereo2go
    and just a last Picture group outside of the Shogun aka many other model's while I am in this same folder of pictures and just cause I can....
    IMG_0287 Last JVC RC-550JW James Selfie Aiwa CS-880 Kaboom M90 Conion Shogun.JPG
    IMG_0287 Last JVC RC-550JW James Selfie Aiwa CS-880 Kaboom M90 Conion Shogun

Mister X likes this.
  8. Cassette2go

What tour manager meeting are you texting about?

Mister X likes this.
  9. Easthelp

Easthelp Active Member

Mister X implied in his October 25, 2017 message that Salt-N-Pepa's tour manager was not rather pleased with the young fella's presence altering their itinerary. (Shrug) I was just asking Mister X a rhetorical question, mostly for fun.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Mister X and Cassette2go like this.
  10. Cassette2go

oh ok as I thought that this was directed my way as it read to me to be implied.

11. Mister X

Hit us with some more BBDB Cassette2go, for the new members, one of the big posters of 2000's, TPR, put together a BBX Bible, supposedly with every boombox every made.