Will the AA battery case for the Sony WM-102 fit onto the WM-R202

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Spaghettinoodles, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Spaghettinoodles

Spaghettinoodles New Member

Hi guys

I recently got my hands on a WM-R202, I managed to fix it up but it is missing the original battery case. I can't for the life of me find any battery boxes specifically for the R202 online and am reluctant to buy another whole broken R202 just for the battery case. Even if I was they seem to be scarce on E-bay anyway.

This leads me to my question. The WM-102 and R202 look similar in size/design so I wondered if the battery box (for an 'AA' battery NOT the gumstick battery) from the 102 would fit onto the R202 without or with minimal modification? There seems to be a few more 102's on E-bay for a nicer price so if they fit it would be an ideal fix.

Please if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. Raul

Raul Active Member

I've read somewhere that there is a bit difference in them (enough that it won't fit as it should). I'm not 100% sure, but I would be cautious

3. aepoc

aepoc New Member

I know from experience that the battery holder for the WM-F100 is different from the WM-101 which is different still from the WM-102. The service manual lists the AA version as a different part number but if I remember correctly the gumstick part number was listed on both. Did you ever find a cover that works? I have had some luck holding the holder I have for a 101 into just the right position but that gets old quickly...

4. Raul

Raul Active Member

I've made temporary solution soldering battery holder to pins for AA battery holder from Aliexpress. It's cheap. I used something like that for Aiwa PC 202(made topic here and on tapeheads).