WM-D3 cracked gear repair

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by doomguy10011, May 21, 2021.

1. doomguy10011

doomguy10011 New Member

I've recently picked up a Sony WM-D3 from Japan (still in transit) in pretty much mint condition, with the exception that the seller states that while playback is normal, there is some motor noise and the tape counter doesn't work, which points to the usual cracked center gear issue.

I usually do repairs on my own, but I'm not confident with my skills in this case and don't want to damage such a clean piece of equipment, so I was wondering if there may be anyone who specializes in DD repairs in the US or nearby. I've read good reviews about matic777 on this site and come across his eBay listing for repair, but I just wanted to check if there might be someone I could send it to nearby.

Thanks!

2. doomguy10011

doomguy10011 New Member

[​IMG]
    So, I got my WM-D3 yesterday, straight from Japan and it does look pretty clean and pristine. I've decided to attempt the center gear repair myself for now and I'm waiting for the center gear, small reel gear and capstan & counter belts from eBay. But there is one more thing: right now the walkman does play, ff and rew as usual (with the deteriorating gear noise, though). But, none of the buttons stay in place when pushed. I have to keep holding the play button to play a tape. If released, it just pops back to the off position. Same with FF and REW. Could someone point me to what's wrong here?

3. JohnR

JohnR New Member