WM d6c no rew ff

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by letjagjetlag, Mar 29, 2021.

1. letjagjetlag

letjagjetlag New Member

Hi I've taken apart my walkman to try and fix the non functioning rew/ff. I've noticed the idler wheel doesn't move into the ff or rew position to be engaged or spin the coges around it. I read somewhere that maybe the arm below it is stuck with old lubricant? I removed the wheel and some surrounding cogs and tried to add more silicone lubricant. It seems like that didn't really do anything. Is the arm that moves the wheel supposed to be stiff? There is a small spring attached to it so maybe? All the cogs spin without resistance when i use my finger though.

Everything else on the machine works fine. It plays and records with no issues.

Also when I hit rew or ff a sound is made for about 1 or 1.5 seconds then it stops. It sort of sounds like the motor, but nothing is visibly moving.

Thanks any help would be fantastic!

Attached Files:

2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Hello,

There is another thread related to your problem. Maybe that is why you did not get any answers. Sony WM-D6C no rewind/ff | Stereo2Go forums
    I think it would be a good idea to ask an admin to merge the 2 threads together or just post the solution there if you find a different problem that what is stated there.

There are a couple of things you need to check, first being the ones mentioned in the other topic, namely that the arm is moving freely and is not bent.
    The rubber idler needs to come into contact with the flywheel, it needs to have enough grip and all the parts that I marked red on your picutre should rotate freely.

The rubber idlers should be replaced if you haven't done that already. A complete rubber set is available here: https://fixyouraudio.com/product/sony-wm-d6c-cassette-player-walkman-complete-rubber-set/

You can hear the sound of the motor for 1 second because it turns off after not detecting the supply reel is not rotating (it has an optical sensor reading that).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021