WM-D6C repairs

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by Stevie13, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Stevie13

Stevie13 New Member

I've been back on forth on postings over some months since I damaged (wrote off?) my wife's WM-D6C. Long ago she used this to record interviews as part of a PhD. Sitting boxed in a cupboard since 1990 I dug it out to review my old tape collection and was stunned at the quality for a small tape player which I played through a decent amp and some Royd audio speakers.

As I used the player more and more, I got frustrated with replacing batteries and did the stupid inappropriate power supply thing. It went pop and so my journey begins.

I found a guy that does repairs for a local vintage hifi shop who did some work then handed the unit back to me in frustration after spending twice on CX20084 ICs that proved fake. Had great confidence in this guy and I know he has repaired D6Cs before, but I'm now left high and dry.

I'm hawking threads for pointers to anyone out there who is still repairing these things. I guess this all depends on new supplies of working CX20084s or else some way of testing before fitting to avoid the headache of having to fit an IC to see if it is a dud???

I hope someone in the forum can dish up a little inspiration!

2. DK0

DK0 New Member

Try Deb64, who is also on Tapeheads. Her talent with WM-D6 and D6C units is legendary!

Valentin and Jorge like this.
  3. ianthepostie

ianthepostie Active Member

4. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

There is a thread covering a jig designed specifically to test CX20084s and see which ones work and which don't: https://www.tapeheads.net/threads/t...tor-chip-tester-by-using-wm-d3-wm-dd11.98705/
    However I would not trust anything but the genuine one.
    Think about it this way: I replace the chip in your walkman and it works. I test it for 2-3 days, a week it works. Then I ship it back to you and one month from now you complain device doesn't work anymore.

Genuine CX20084 ICs are pretty hard to find as of 2023 (unless one has stocked dozens/hundreds of them), an alternative solution being to use a donor DD unit (like DD1, DD10, DD11) that's in very bad condition otherwise.
    For reference, the genuine ones are not available in bulk, so those that sell packs of 3 or more are guaranteed to be fake.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    Jorge likes this.
  5. rcpilot23

rcpilot23 Active Member

Try magnetic Blood

He had some genuine CX20084 chips to be used when he does the restore/repair

Good luck they are almost impossible to buy now unless you extract one from a DD model like the DDII which aren't too expensive non working