1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1983 Akihabara Japan Cassette2go aka James Pierce took pic's of stuff he could not afford

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Cassette2go, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

1978 James Army 1st boombox 1978 Centrex by Pioneer RK-114.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 01 parts.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 02.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 03.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 04.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 05 car stereo amps.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 06 accross street.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 07 speakers car sterero.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 08 corner store.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 09 home speakers.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 10 vcr home stereo.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 11 in store boombox not good pic.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 12 last bad pic 3.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 13 parts-table.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 14 sanyo mr-q4.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 15 duty free shop.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 16 stereo stuff2.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 17 street corner.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 18 street side stereo.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 19 Keyboard.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 20 cassette2go jame pierce civilian clothes navy.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 21 stairs.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 22 mini stereo.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 22 mini stereo.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 23 hitachi.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 24 boombox.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 25 bad pic boombox.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 26.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 27 boombox.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 28.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 29.jpg 1983 akihabara japan 30 reel to reel.jpg 1983 Akihabara Japan Cassette2go aka James Pierce took pic's of stuff he could not afford While serving in the US Navy from 1982-1984 & Only One picture of me from the Army served 1977-1980

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

and James still managed to get a Radio Cassette in the photo !

Jorge and Cassette2go like this.
  3. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

great pictures @Cassette2go , Wish I could go back in time and visit this place

Valentin, Jorge and Cassette2go like this.
  4. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

Great photos of an amazing place that I hope to visit one-day. All that technology there, I'd never be out of shops like that!

5. Longman

Has anyone been there recently ?
    I expect it would be all mobile phones, laptops, and Bluetooth Speakers.
    In the 1980s Edgware Road in London used to be quite similar, with lots of shops selling equipment you would never see in your local Dixon's.
    https://www.allinlondon.co.uk/directory/audio-visual-sales/10119-edgware-hi-fi-centre
    Before then Tottenham Court Road was famous for its Radio Shops, although I am too young to remember that
    https://fitzrovianews.com/2015/05/21/tottenham-court-road-before-central-cross/#prettyPhoto

JensMoba/BoomboxFan and sickly_b like this.
  6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Holy mother lode Cassette2go, you took those photos? They've been making the internet forum rounds for years, some of the best photos of that area, which is really weird considering how the Japanese love photography.

All the buildings are still there, it's still one of the top Tokyo Tourist Attractions. BIC Camera and some other big stores are there and they are huge. The main building, I think the one with all of the discount racks, sells a lot of electronics, stuff like cords, knobs, parts, etc. There's some small stores with used cell phones, computers, stuff just stacked in boxes for dirt cheap.

I can believe that you couldn't afford any of it, some of those boxes are $350 USD and up and that was in the early 80's. The inflation calculator says $450 USD in today's money for just the little units.

Cassette2go likes this.
  7. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Yep, they did
    and really strange those are almost only ones of this Mecca,
    maybe there are others but nobody shared yet.

Awesome photos!

8. Cassette2go

While serving aboard the - thanks to the internet - On 4 January 1983,,, but on 3 Jan 83 I boarded and on the 4th I request to go and get some stuff out of my car ( 1975 Toyota corrola ) that was on base but they told me that the boat was already underway, so well I am not saying anymore about that, I lived in TEXAS and I had! nuff said. :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Acadia The Navy boat I served one its entire story here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Acadia Long story short due to the boredom of being onboard and lousy with playing cards using payday stakes I didnt have much money!

Boodokhan and Mister X like this.
  9. Mister X

"She was the first ship to house a wartime mixed-sex crew and was unofficially nicknamed "The Love Boat" in the 1991 Persian Gulf War after 36 women (10% of women in the crew) became pregnant during deployment"

Do you want to elaborate on the Love Boat Status?

Cassette2go likes this.
  10. Cassette2go

in 1983 when we went on our Seven month west-pac cruise, there was about 400 women and 1100 men onboard, I wasnt lucky enough go get any of those pregnant, nor did I desire to do so at that time :) I served on that boat for about 14 months and then i exited the navy yaaay as I was so tired of the games and the quota's that they played and had at that time. I went up for 'rate' Four time and I was denied 4 time because I was not ( a female or filipino ) as those were the only ones allowed to go up the ranks so I got the hell out of the navy.

Mister X likes this.
  11. MUTE AUTO

MUTE AUTO Member

There are a lot of models I haven't seen before

Mister X likes this.
  12. Xenon4U2C

Xenon4U2C New Member

Building my Time Machine Now !!! XD

Mister X likes this.
  13. Mister X

Bring a wad of cash, even back then they were hundreds of dollars each. The pricing isn't like USA Electronics stores where you could actually figure out ways to pay less, they don't like to haggle over there. It was an amazing time, we're lucky to see these photos, I'm surprised there aren't more floating around.

Longman likes this.
  14. Longman

Yes. If you think things like an iPhone 12 Pro Max is expensive, then taking into account inflation the decent equipment was similarly priced back then.
    The cheap stuff like a bottom of the range Toshiba Boombox costs less £s today than it did back then.

Regarding the $29000 JVC M90 that people were taking about recently https://www.ebay.com/itm/224567174429?hash=item34493f251d:g:XTkAAOSwKNJhEpsF
    I have a better idea. When you finish your Time Machine, instead of buying one of these new spend the money on Apple shares. Then today you would be able to afford three ! Of course hindsight is 20-20 vision and all that. Back in the day a company like Enron would have probably looked to be a better investment.

15. Mister X

I can't find any M90 ads, there's like two little blurbs with pricing, who and where were these beasts sold?

16. Longman

We went through all this recently. The closest we could find was http://stereo2go.com/forums/threads...ble-audio-and-you-can-take-them-with-you.870/
    As for where they were sold, I've seen the Sharp VZ2000 listed in a normal retailers flyer, but have never seen an M90 or GF777 so can't answer that. I'm sure you could have got one on Edgeware Road, London, where haggling was definitely advisable.

Mister X likes this.
  17. Mister X

I found the GF-777 ads, there was a few over in Singapore, I think that was the cool "all-in-one" to have but some of these boomers are difficult to find any info. You would think at least one of the audio magazines would have had a review.

18. Longman

Techmoan found the Sony FH7 in the Boots (a chain of shops which had a large store in most cities) Audio Catalogue.

We also had Sony Centres in most cities. They must have been popular and nowadays you could find a working one on eBay for less £ than the cost back then.

Thinking about this is suspect that in the U.K. anyone who could have afforded an M90 wouldn't have wanted one. The FH7 would have appealed to a wide demographic from Yuppie to Pensioner; people who might otherwise have thought about Bang and Olufsen. In contrast I suspect that the M90 and GF777 would have mainly appealed to teenagers who would have been unlikely to have been able to afford one.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    Mister X likes this.
  19. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

Interesting photos. As a 13yr old in 83 I would have been salivating.
    But the first thing you could have bought there was a good camera with decent exposure and focus control!
    :loldiag:

Mister X likes this.
  20. Longman

The problem was that you could have bought a nice personal stereo for the same money.
    Cameras 1983.jpg
    We are lucky that James took his camera with him.
    There is an old saying that "The best camera is the one you actually have with you".

Mister X likes this.