Alpine Vintage Car Stereo

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ken80s, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Back in my teenage days, everytime riding in someone's car I like admiring the fancy dashboard design especially those with stereo/equalizer. It's mesmerizing looking at the Led level meter dancing over the beautiful illuminate dashboard. I thought to myself one day I'm gonna own a car with my favourite audio system in it. Today I finally possess a set of Alpine (CDA-9855) combo with a tape player with Sound Field Processor. (Alpine TDA-5643)

FOTO_20200709_120152.jpg
    FOTO_20200709_120108.jpg

Cleaning of the pinch rollers and tape head prior testing.
    inCollage_20200709_115311455.jpg
    FOTO_20200709_115818.jpg
    inCollage_20200709_193133948.jpg
    IMG_20200709_173602.jpg

FOTO_20200709_185330.jpg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  2. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Offline testing prior installation.

A lot of customization to be done as post millennium cars mostly do not have detachable stereo unit, it came with fixed player. It took 5 hours to complete the installation. Here is a demo after installation where I'm playing the unit with a cassette.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

What car is it in ? You are right about modern cars having no space for such devices.
    I have commented before about in the 1990s fitting car radio cassettes in three different girls cars as in 1980s (and 1970s) cars you were lucky to get a push button radio.

I recently spent hours on the internet looking for a picture of this Philips.
    I kept finding loads of a similar model without a display as like in my Vectra the cars own display was used.

Philips Car Radio.jpg
    In the mid 1990s I bought one new for £100 and fitted in in my Nissan when the factory fitted radio cassette started playing up.
    By about the year 2000, Rapid Radio where I bought it turned into Rapid PCs. They are still going doing things like laptop repairs.

Twopotjock and Ken80s like this.
  4. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Wow, it's soo beautiful, Ken. I love it. I loved those high class car players with Dolby B and even C and motorized mechanisms. Alpine, Pioneer, SONY, AIWA, Kenwood made really good ones.

Ken80s likes this.
  5. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

My car is the 8th generation Honda Accord, year 2010. I have to sacrifice the general compartment storage in order to mount the device and play through the aux in of the main unit

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  6. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Yes Hugo, most of the top notch are Japanese brands that dominated the car audio market. European and US very limited those I know off are Blaupunkt, Audiovox and Rockford Fosgate.

7. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Detail introduction of the CDA-9855 function, which I'm learning as well.

Jorge likes this.
  8. Twopotjock

Twopotjock Member

I think I have one of those, or a model very like it, originally fitted to 90's Range Rovers and branded "Range Rover". I've been hanging onto it in the hope I can get it modified for an Aux / BT input to fit in my Classic RR.

9. Clinton Nicholson

Clinton Nicholson New Member

Do you have full control of the tape player with the CD player? Or do you operate the tape player with its own buttons?

10. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Hi @Clinton Nicholson - the tape player with built in sound processor is meant to pair up with the head unit in order to work.

11. AE_Stereo

AE_Stereo Member

You need to upgrade your car! Possibly a 1986-89 Accord with digital dashboard to match with the Alpine!

Ken80s likes this.
  12. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Or maybe a Vauxhall / Opel Astra GTE.

Like the car stereos this was considered to be incredibly futuristic at the time and only came on the top of the range GTE model.
    Back in 1989 a colleague bought one new.

13. Clinton Nicholson

Clinton Nicholson New Member

Thank you for the reply! would you be willing to show the tape cassette functions on a video?