1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone is in for some rock exchange?

Discussion in 'Cassettes & Mixtape exchange' started by walkman archive, May 15, 2017.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Anyone wants some rock? 70s, 80s, 90s and even later. I'm open to classic rock, hard rock, alternative rock and even grunge or some metal.
    I'll put some AC/DC, Shinedown, Creed and Koritni...

Anyone in? :headbang:

AlbySpace likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Active Member

I'd love some rock!

I have to warn you though, I've never actually recorded a cassette before...

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    bronco likes this.
  3. walkman archive

Great!

Glups! Ha ha ha.
    No problem, I can help you. First of all, please tell me what's your gear and we'll see what can we do with it...

4. Chris

Chris Active Member

Well the only equipment I have capable of recording is a Sony TCM-17, and a Panasonic RX-DS660 ghettoblaster.
    I've made a few brief recordings with the sony and the sound quality is OK but still leaves a lot to be desired. I tried recording with the Panasonic (cables were plugged in in all the right places) but it just recorded static...

bronco likes this.
  5. walkman archive

Hmm, IMHO a simple portable recorder is not enough, and that boombox probably too. A good mixtape has 50% of music taste, song selection and your soul, but the other 50% is about technique and audio recording. Well, it's my opinion; not sure what others think...
    I think you should invest in a full size deck to make fully enjoyable mixtapes. I cheap 2-head deck could be enough, especially if it has bias setting (those can be found for really cheap) but a entry level 3-head would be really the best choice. Something like a Denon DRM-740, Sony TC-K570 or something like that can be found for less than 100$ and they sound really well.
    Are you open to get one and start mixtaping? :thumbsup:

6. Chris

Chris Active Member

I'll definitely have a look at both of those. Would a Sony D6C be okay too? I'm hoping to get one soon.

bronco likes this.
  7. walkman archive

Great. Oh, yes, a D6C would be nice too, but although it records very well, there are big differences between versions (latest ones sound and record much worse than early ones; that can be checked by its serial number).
    However, the D6C is limited in terms of cassette compatibility because it only works perfectly with some particular tapes that matches the internal bias setting. And the VU meters have low resolution. A good 3-head deck wins against it.
    Another option is the Marantz PMD-430 which is portable and it sounds and record very good. As it's the most compact and light 3-head deck, maybe you find it a good choice.
    It's highly recommendable that whatever device you get, you should take it to a good technician to check, maybe change belts and internal realignment. That way you'll know you have a deck in factory specs.

8. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Maybe a Nakamichi 550? :)

bronco likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris Active Member

Now you guys are just showing off...

AlbySpace and bronco like this.
  10. walkman archive

Well, the Nak 550 is more expensive than a PMD-430 but they can still be found for cheap. Actually I've been offered one of these for 200 euros in very good condition and working that I followed to my friend TJ Autoreverse.
    I'll be testing it soon but at first sight it seemed to me that it has definitely a bold sound with great bass. Very surprising.

11. walkman archive

12. bronco

bronco Active Member

:frown:A pity about the Panny.
    Couldn't give it a chance with a pair of tiny shots of contact cleaner and a slight shacking in rec/pb switch?
    We are boomboxers! :smileycool:

Chris likes this.
  13. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Very Nice ..... And indeed, i find the 550 also rock-solid sounding... I looking forward to your in-depth-comparision testing.... Vs the super D6C vs .... Vs ....

14. walkman archive

I'll try to get the 550 at home this weekend for some testing ;-)

15. walkman archive

Hmm, not sure I understood the full meaning of your message. Translator doesn't give anything for 'panny' nor 'shacking'. Sorry, my english is far from perfect...:shrug:
    I think I got the whole idea but if you explain in other words that would help indeed.

16. bronco

bronco Active Member

Oh sorry! It is not your english; the problem is actually with mine; is really awful. Again sorry.
    It was about the Panasonic boombox; not the best for recording a mixtape for sure, but I think it's worth to fix.
    I love boomboxes and the idea of one that only can record noise, breaks my heart.
    I was suggesting a cleaning of the record/playback switch as the first thing to do (it usually fix the most of unresponsive ones) by using contact cleaner and moving it from "play" to "rec" position for several times for aid to cleaning action (I said "shacking" instead of "shaking":p)
    Hope it helps to bring a "dead" boombox alive.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Chris likes this.
  17. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

18. Ivica

Ivica New Member

I am in for mixtape if is not to late :wavey:
    From posts I cant see if is mixtape started...on wich way is this working?
    Regards
    Ivica

bronco likes this.
  19. Chris

Chris Active Member

I don't think anyone's made any mixtapes yet.

20. walkman archive

Don't worry. Well, I didn't mean it can only record noise at all. But it cannot compare to a decent 3-head deck. I have one of the best recording boombox (the AIWA CSD-SR8 and the Panasonic RX-DT9) and both are behind a good deck, although they can compete with many 2-head decks because of its high quality.

To fully enjoy all these, IMHO you must use a deck. Using a boombox usually ends up with mixtapes recorded too hot, way into the +5 or more, thanks to overcompressed CDs (I'm talking about loudness war) and that sounds awful. Having a Rec knob is a must. :old:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017