1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best portable amp?

Discussion in 'Headphones Area' started by walkman archive, May 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Interesting! So there is minimal difference with the walkmans amped.... May i resume, no need to buy an extra amp!?

2. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Well, I wouldn't say it's a minimal difference, but it's not big at all. Especially with the BOSE (which are the smallest circumaural closed headphones out there) that are far behind any big size open headphone.
    At least with these big sounding ones (all the best DDs). I guess with later, thinner models the difference will be much higher.
    With the tone controls untouched, the difference is perceptible but not big. However, in the street and with the tone controls (treble down, bass up) it clearly helps to compensate the noise, although the BOSE have a good passive isolation.
    In those environments the music looses bass and becomes very bright, so this controls help a lot. I know I can go for a good IEM that isolates much better, but I prefer to not isolate as much in such an active city like Barcelona. I have had a fright before...
    With the phone the differences are very big, even without tone controls. The music sounds impressively so well that made me think I was at home with my valve amp and the big headphones.
    However, I could only listen to it for half an hour in the store (Werner musica) and could barely listen for 10 min at home. Tomorrow I hope to have a bit more time in the evening, so... more news coming ;-)

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  3. Ball000

Ball000 Member

I'm still quite happy with my Fiio Alpen 2 (E17K) which is very able to drive my Q701. I love this open headphone mostly at home and far from wife... because it's open indeed, so everybody knows what I'm listening to, and in no way it could be used outdoors. But its renowned large scene and flat frequency response are pure pleasure to me. My other headphone is the closed K550, which is easier to drive and is no problem for most of the walkmans I prefer, though the Sony 703C and the Panasonic RQ-S80, and perhaps the Aiwa JX929 give a better experience with the Fiio. This headphone is very pleasing outside, or when my wife is not far, because of its closed nature, while it sounds surprisingly open, and I can wear it really longer than other closed cans I tried, which didn't even sound as well to my ears.

What I like especially is that the sound features of Aiwas (BBE and DSL) do sound well most of the time through the Fiio. In fact when it doesn't sound that well, I would probably have disabled those features even without the amp anyway. The Fiio provides trebles and basses adjustments in scales from -10 to +10, though I actually almost never use it.

To be honest when outside I prefer to use (most of) my walkmans with Aiwa (or Panasonic) IEMs, and that's without the Fiio. When I'm at home I prefer to use the Fiio and one of the two aforementioned AKG, mainly because I feel that the Fiio opens the stage wider that a walkman alone. But when I'm listening to Flac files on the phone, I'm happy to use the Fiio as a DAC and an amp, with one AKG inside, or most of the time with the Aiwa IEMs when outside. I also often use the Fiio as a DAC and amp when listening to music on the computer.

_DSF5043.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Simon and walkman archive like this.
  4. walkman archive

Lovely photo!
    I recognize all models except the Tosh in the top right and the Panasonic? in the middle top. Great collection of walkmans and headphones.
    I had the chance to test the 550 for a few minutes at a friend's home and they sound quite good, but as all closed headphones, clearly behind open ones. I prefer the Q701 by far, as seems that they are almost identical to the 702 except for a little difference in bass and the cushions (much better in the Q701).
    I'm curious to know how good does the Fiio sounds when connected to the line out of the DC2 and the D6C and compared to each headphone output...

5. Ball000

Ball000 Member

Thank you Hugo for your kind words on my photo!
    The two models at the top are in the blur and so they hide their real nature: they're both National (Panasonic), the right one being a RX-SA10, and the middle one is a RX-SA15. Both provide a high quality autoreverse player with an AM/FM tuner in a nice metallic body, and the SA15 adds a five bands equalizer.

I too prefer the Q701 for their openness over the K550, though as I said open headphones are not convenient in all situations, so the K550 seem to me as a good compromise with their huge 50mm drivers, their flat tonal curve, and the way they sound so open-like.

Now about the comparison of the sound of the Fiio when connected to the line out of the high-end Sonys, and the headphone output of those walkmans: they both are quite powerful, and much capable to drive the K550, and the D6C does drive the Q701 perfectly too. When driving this headphone the DC2 seems to have a very lightly narrower stage than when it's helped by the external amp. This is almost imperceptible though, and needs an attentive comparison to be detected. I'd say also that there is a very subtle more bass end through the Fiio than on the DC2 alone.
    And in comparison to both walkmans, I think the sound is a little darker with the external amp, but it does not mean that it lowers the highs at all: they're clearly untouched but the hiss seems a tiny bit less present during the blancs between two songs.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  6. walkman archive

Thanks for your detailed comparisons.
    I'm glad to hear that they are almost the same as mine: tonight I put the super-DC2, super-DD9 and super-D6C on the table together with the 701C and my new RHA L1 headamp. I connected my Sennheiser HD650 which are well known for their absolute neutrality and for being most sensitive to amplifier changes and quality. The perfect headphone for this kind of testing.
    I used three identical MAxell XL-II that were recorded with the same songs in the same way (vinyl as source, no dolby). I put the tapes in all them, hit play and switched the jack between them once volume was matched.
    That made the comparison much easier.
    Without amp, the best sounding is the D6C clearly. The bass has more body and power. The DC2 has the weakest bass but seems to have more definition and soundstage than the D6C. The DD9 wins in definition, though is not as powerful as the rest (but it's waay more powerful than the standard DD9).

When I connected the RHA to the line out or headphone out, there were different responses. With the D6C, the result was a bit less pleasant surprisingly, with less body in the bass, but a bit more stage. So the D6C is the only one that can withstand against the amp.
    With the DC2, it gained a bit in bass (tone controls in the RHA at zero all time) and in soundstage. With the DD9 which seems to have the sharpest sound of all them, the sound was overall more powerful and wider.
    With the 701C, as expected, the sound was waaay better. Much more powerful. however, it's surprising how well can this tiny player withstand against an smartphone. Quite well.
    With the amp the mids have better presence and the soundstage is wider. And the sound has, overall, more 'punch'.
    I also did a quick comparison to my professional DELL Precision laptop (which is supposed to have a top-of-the-line sound card) and it was clearly behind any of the walkmans even without the amp. Needless to say that with the amp the comparison was simply unfair.
    So, in the end, the sound gets better overall (much better in case of a phone or a laptop), with more 'punch' and better bass. This is something I have experienced when travelling in train, using my iphone and the tiny and cheap CMoy, though with this amp I have a DAC (that can be used with the phone or a laptop), a battery (that can even be used to charge the phone) and tone controls that are VERY useful when travelling.

So in the end I'm very happy with it.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Simon likes this.
  7. walkman archive

8. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Nice collection kit. The AKG K550 is one of the only 2 AKG's i have heard and like the other is K812.
    I think the K550 even though it's close back, it has an open back design sound to it.
    I have to disagree with you and Hugo about the Q701, i do not like the sound and i have never got the big attraction to it by many people?

One thing that you and Hugo touched on was about using the amp and i think you both say you got less bass from the amps.
    I find when i use my Walkman with my amp, what i get is tighter better controlled bass which a lot of people confuse as less bass. The more bass people think they get from the players direct is often looser flabby bass.

Ball000 likes this.
  9. walkman archive

Well, I don't like the 702 so much too. What I said is that I preferred the Q701/702 much better than the 550, but to be honest the sound of the 702 is in "V" (like a EQ curve) and in the bright side and not so comfortable to wear for long sessions. The headband is made from cheapo plastic, after some time starts to hurt in the head. The cushions are too strong, not very comfortable. I remember to read that the Q701 has much better materials in this area.
    Anyhow, the sound is a bit behind other headphones in my collection and I think this ones doesn't offer anything valuable to me now. If I want a flatter sound I have the HD650 and HD540. If I want a V sound I have the DT990 or the ELEAR.
    If someone wants a K702, modified to perform with better bass, with only 6 months of use and original box, like new for 160 euros, contact me :wave:

I think you maybe misread my words Chris. What I said is that this amp offered better overall response: wider soundstage, clearer mid presence and better, punchier bass.
    This happened with all walkmans I tested: DC2, DD9, DD33 and 701C. the only exception was the D6C that showed better bass through the headphone out than from the line out to the amp.
    I couldn't have time to do a throrough test and only used one song yesterday night (Thriller by MJ, sourced from vinyl, US mint pressing) but seemed to me that the D6C performed better. Maybe the bass was less controlled in this case, now I didn't remember. there was not a big difference, but I'll check tonight again with more songs.

Ball000 likes this.
  10. TooCooL4

Sorry if I read your words wrong.
    When I use the headphones out of the D6C, it does appear to give out more bass than through the amp but that is because the bass out of the amp is tighter and better controlled which can appear to be less bass to most peoples ears. Not saying that is what you think, but just saying other people get confused at this.

I think someone who is a bass head may prefer sound directly out of the D6C, but for me line-out through the amp gives better results. One other side effect which is a good side effect from using my amp is it has better noise rejection.

11. walkman archive

Oh, no, please don't apologize. No worries at all ;-)

It took me centuries to learn the difference between flabby and tight bass. I had bass-intoxicated ears for many years, starting with my recordings made on my first boomboxes and continuing with the MegaBass.
    But in the latest years, thanks to some good decks, headphones, amplifiers and recording practices I learnt the difference. Now I can say I absolutely know how does the "high end" sounds, especially after hearing it in places like this:
    http://www.walkman-archive.com/wa/2016/02/star-wars-on-reel-tape-duplicating-to-my-pioneer-rt-909/

I don't have very good ears, and I'm pretty sure you have much wide knowledge in this area than me and many others. Fortunately I think I know how a tight bass sound now :)
    Back to the matter, this amp has a punchy sound and the bass is very well controlled. Not flabby at all. I never heard how your RS sound but I bet they are in a similar league.
    Today I took it out walking in some quiet streets and I was impressed with the punch in the drums. Holy god, this thing literally beats you in the head. What a power in the drums!
    Tonight I'll do a test between the D6C headphone output and the amp and let you know my thoughts :thumbsup:

12. walkman archive

13. walkman archive

BTW: Is there a good site to buy short jack cables for this? I'd like to get one with a right angle connector. (I'd like something that doesn't cost like unicorn blood if possible... :biggrin:)

14. walkman archive

Toocool's SA in my RX505:

IMG_7635.JPG

15. TooCooL4

You should just make your own, that is what i do.

16. walkman archive

That's another possibility. Where to buy connectors and cables, then?

17. TooCooL4

Well i use the Furutech connectors but i don't think they do angled ones and for cable i use Kimber KCAG silver cable, but i have to say it's abit over the top as that lot to make myself was about (150cm) is around £140. You have seen it before as you have it on your website last picture on this page

I think ADL is part of Furutech and do connectors at a reasonable price.

People do rave on about Neutrik connectors but i find them a bit flimsy

Boodokhan likes this.
  18. walkman archive

Thanks for the info! I'll look at them.

19. TooCooL4

Finally got round to listening to the RHA amp at the Munich High-End Hi-Fi show.
    Firstly I have to say it’s massive compared to my amp, (see attached pic) admittedly it does do a lot more than my amp. Mine is a straightforward analogue amp.
    Comparing the RHA to my P-51, I can hear the P-51 has the edge it has cleaner / clearer sound. I missioned it to the guy doing the demo and then he said he needed to change the gain settings. He do and things improve in one-way but got worse in other ways, the sound became harsh / aggressive.
    It’s funny i forget how good the P-51 is as I use it everyday and take it for granted. Don’t get me wrong I have listened to amps that blow the p-51 out of the water, but then they have cost 4x – 5x the price of the P-51.

DC2 - RHA - P51.jpg

20. walkman archive

Very interesting Toocool. Thanks for sharing.
    Yes, the RHA does a lot of things and that's one of the reasons I like it. I have read it has a cutting edge sound (Headphonia) so I wouldn't bother if the P-51 wins for a little bit. That means the RHA is almost on the edge, but with steroids. That's fine for me ;-)

I'd like to hear your P51 someday. It looks soooo tiny! Surprising how can such a tiny box sound so good.
    Di you have the chance to compare it to the Chord Mojo or the Hugo? (That last one should be my amp indeed! :laugh:)