1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Boot Sale Finds

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Simon, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

jesus Christ I feel sick, look at the price, my keyboard was much much more complicated than that bud, I dread to think what its worth now then, I sold it because I couldn't play, well I was good at getting great sounds like jean Michel jarre, that's how he started, btw what is this peace of kit, id love the keyboard I had back but it could be worth thousands and thousands judging by this peace of kit you have posted Sir

2. Radio Raheem

shit iv just seen a keyboard for £15 thousand and it's basic compared to the one I had, do I laugh or cry haha, we had better stop hjacking this thread buddy but you can always pm me if you like:wink2

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Just like boomboxes it all depends on the Manufacturer and Model
    The picture I posted is a vocoder, good for doing Robot Voices (think Kraftwerk).
    EMS were / are a British company who had-crafted their products so they were never churned out in the
    same way as Yamahas and Rolands.

Nowadays you could probably do the same with a Microkorg costing a few hundred pounds or even a £10 app
    on an Iphone.

Here's some guys taking the mickey but demonstrating the effect.

As an example of how things turn around in the 1980s people were selling Mini-Moogs for a few hundred pounds
    to buy Yamaha DX7s costing over a £1000. Nowadays the Mini-Moog would be worth over £1000 while the DX7
    a couple of £100 (although they do seem to be creeping up in value).

I wonder if anyone ever took a super low trade in on an M90 to get a box with a CD ?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Radio Raheem likes this.
  4. Radio Raheem

I wonder if anyone ever took a super low trade in on an M90 to get a box with a CD

I tried that once to get a Panasonic rx fd 80 lol nobody had heard of it, shit iv had to many m90's lol, my keyboard might have been a roland but I can't remember, it took 2 people to carry it though it was one of those where you could load you're own samples etc, I think jmj would have been proud of it, love kraftwork

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  5. Simon

Simon Active Member

Hi all, great find today, a mint Sony SL-HF950 Super Betamax player with remote and manuals. Couldn't believe it, and in this condition! And it all works including the lovely half and full eject mechanism. Also still had the original receipt for £699 from 1986.
    These now go for the same price as a mint boxed D6C to give you and idea, around £350-£400. Will hopefully sell and put towards a good DC2 Walkman which is on my hitlist when I find one!
    DSC_2234.JPG
    DSC_2235.JPG

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  6. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Wow that is a great find. I didn't even realise SuperBeta existed.
    I know that Betamax machines are now worth far more than even S-VHS due to Supply and Demand
    If someone has some SuperBeta tapes they want to play you can almost name your price.

To give you an idea of prices three months before this one was purchased I bought my first house for £23800.
    In the time I had it I could never afford a decent TV (i.e one with a remote). The house is now worth about £170000.

Mystic Traveller and Simon like this.
  7. davebush

davebush Active Member

A few items iv recently got....Casio keyboard £2 Tosh camcorder £2 Aiwa Walkman £1 Galaxy invader £2-50 Sony Watchman £5 all from a car boot sales..

Got 4 Sony TPL s2 all non workers....

Sony CFD W888......Japan web store

The best on is 3 x Sony CD Players £20 Shcpock

Here are some pics plus the original advert for the cd players Screenshot_20170905-151908.png DSC01576.JPG DSC01574.JPG DSC01575.JPG DSC01573.JPG DSC01578.JPG

Attached Files:

8. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Yep, indeed, very nice, never watched Betamax machines.

9. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Wow great haul!

10. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Yeah damn this thread is full of bootsale booty :)

11. Patron

Patron Active Member

So much good stuff,

12. Simon

Simon Active Member

Hi friends, well, second bootsale of the year this morning and I found a grail! Not reading disc on initial try but needs a clean up and hopefully may work. Think the runner screw needs cleaning as the laser doesn't seem to be moving along. This is an absolute grail for me, I was astounded, my legs were week as I walked away with it.
    Edit: Day later now and it was just hardened grease as thought. Once cleaned and re-greased it's working perfectly! Thought caps may need changing but sounds great on both line-out and headphone sockets! This is by far the best sounding portable CD player I have experienced and this is without any of the sound modes tried out yet.
    Edit: Sound quickly deteriorated on longer listening. The D555 is now with a professional for a capacitor change.
    DSC_2466.JPG

Also got this Marantz CD Player, CD-63SE Special Edition
    DSC_2470.JPG

Just about to test it after i make some tea and will probably have a go at the D555 tonight and see if some de-greasing will get it working. What a morning!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    RTB and Mystic Traveller like this.
  13. Simon

Simon Active Member

Hi all, another weekend, another few car boot sales. I did find one to go to last Wednesday but didn't manage to find anything to spend my money on!

First up from yesterday, a nice Aiwa PX587 with battery pack, gumstick battery and wall plug. Even better, it works great, didn't even need a new belt, not my usual experience with Aiwa's. Not tested the gumstick yet and the buttons are a bit scratched but otherwise excellent condition and cost less than a coffee.

DSC_2502.JPG
    DSC_2503.JPG
    Next up from yesterday is this Technics SH- 8020 Equaliser. Unfortunately it's not powering up but will ask my technican if he can get it going if it's a simple power issue as it's quite nice looking and likely worth more than his repair cost. Missing one of the black plastic LED covers on the far right which is a shame.
    DSC_2506.JPG

Today I did well. First I got a Sony PS-212 turntable. I've only been home an hour so untested as yet. It looks dirty but at the same time very clean underneath. I think it will look very nice when wiped down later.
    DSC_2507.JPG
    Second find today was this Sanyo G-12 in red. Very mint condition in it's case but not a high end machine. For £2 I can't pass these sorts of things up!
    DSC_2512.JPG
    DSC_2511.JPG

Last one of the day is another Marantz CD player. This weeks one is a Marantz CD-50 Special Edition. It has the 1541A DAC which is popular. Tried it when I got home and it didn't read the disc so opened it up, wiped it with a dry cotton bud and it's been fine for the last hour. Playing a whole album it tested fine. Can you see the dust?!
    DSC_2504.JPG
    That's it for this weekend. Plenty of cleaning to do and a visit to my local technican tomorrow with the Technics equaliser. Hope to update with more finds next week!

vinchy and Mystic Traveller like this.
  14. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Wahey! This is a TDA1541A, a multibit DAC. :)

Simon likes this.
  15. Simon

Simon Active Member

Evening all. The D555 i posted about above last week was driven to a professional today for capacitor surgery. On longer listening the volume went lower and lower so it's gone to have the two volume caps changed and at the same time, the matching power cap. All 6.3v 100uf. Expected to be ready by end of the week providing suitable caps available.

Also took him the Technics SH-8020 to look at as it had no power. Also the existing power lead was very short anyway and needed changing.

Better news is that the Sony Turntable works and I've got one of my three Technics SL-XP7 CD players working (hardened grease). I cleaned and changed the grease on my other two XP7's but one spins and refuses to play (maybe needs further adjustments beyond my current skills), and the other won't even power up!

16. Brandon

Brandon Member

PYE-Stereo-Cassette-Recorder-Turntable.jpg

Weekend pick up on 1st decent boot sale £5 - all works fine

Boodokhan likes this.
  17. Simon

Simon Active Member

Hi all, just bought this at a car boot and can't find anything on Ebay re value, any ideas? New in box, never used, with case, demonstration tape, and headphones.
    1525671340227678597522.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    vinchy likes this.
  18. T-ster

Sought after micro cassette player, dont see them often and they usually sell well. There is one listed on a foreign ebsy for £375 at the moment but it had been on forever. Value is prbably more like 150 to 200.

Let me know if your flippping it as i have been looking out for one.

Simon likes this.
  19. Simon

Simon Active Member

Thanks T-ster, I will upload some more shots later when I am home and will let you know if/when I sell. It still has a strip of foam covering the heads and paperwork in the cassette drawer so has clearly never been used. Serial number is in the 17,000's. Would you recommend I bother testing it or is it better to leave it untouched?

20. T-ster

I would test it, it must have sat for a long time and as we know they are better used than sat. Worth a quick test just to establish operability. Value drops off if it has leaked caps and no sound etc. Conversely, knowing its fully working would be a great selling point.

Simon likes this.