1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleaning old vinyl

Discussion in 'Other formats: DCC, MD, Reel 2 reel, CD...' started by Michelle Knight, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Interesting thread I will give the revirginizer a try !

2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

a friend of mine purchased one of those revirginizers lately. sorry to say, but i think it's more eye-washing than vinyl-cleaning. i'll be honest - i've tried a lot of vinyl-cleaner, but NOTHING is as good as washing your vinyls with adequate liquid (hypoprophenealcohol - or however you call that booze - mixture), it's the liquid that cleans and treats antistatic to provide your wax from new dust.
    i don't have space for an okki nokki and also enjoy there ceremony of vinyl-washing with my good old KNOWIN (today: KNOSTI) washing-machine, wich i can throw in a box and store in the shelve ( i do have a newer set as well but prefer that orange sweetheart, even fill the new liquid regularly in that vintage purple bottle :nodding: ). my shellacs get a wash in lukewarm water with a spread of fat-remover in the same machine. no need and use for a revirginizer in my house.

IMG_3858.JPG

3. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I've done quite a lot of research in this matter of cleaning vinyls, and also tried several methods: distilled water, alcohol+water mixture, brush, carbon brush, wood glue and did measurements counting how many scrateches are in a particular track segment.
    The best method is the wood glue, but it must be done well or it can leave some residues here and there. If you have some sun it's reasonably quick. The problem is that is strongly charges the static on the disc and this should be discharged. I use for that a ion gun.
    I usually put the disc through three stages of cleaning:
    1. I brush the disc with a carbon brush under strong direct light, to remove all the dust that it's not stuck.
    2. Then I use a microfiber cloth wet with alcohol+water mix. Gently and softly I clean the entire disc to remove grease and other residues unti it shines. At this stage the disc sounds much better, not far from perfect.
    3. I use the wood glue to leave it as new. Then it sounds perfect.
    With this procedure I achieved 99.99% clean records. Some people have received mixtapes recorded from vinyl from me and can tell about how clean my vinyl sounds; you hardly hear any dust.
    Anyway, if you want a quicker method, I think I can recommend this one that Techmoan sucessfully tried with excellent results:

4. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

Hugo, thanks for your advice - but folks: PLEASE PLEASE do this only if you KNOW what you are doing, chances of damaging your wax is high (rests stay in the groove if you're not careful !)

Michelle Knight likes this.
  5. walkman archive

Totally agree. I suggest to do testings on cheap vinyl; those that if damaged can be thrown out.

This is a screen capture of the several digital files I acquired after trying out a cleaning method of the same disc:

Captura Audition vinyl cleaning methods- ducha caliente with marks.png
    As you can see the original is very very dirty, with lots of crackles. Every vertical line crossing the signal is a crackle, so counting them you can see how many dust is on the disc.
    Cleaning with cloth effectively wipes out so many dust but still leaves residue. Wood glue is the best, as it almost leave nothing at all. There's only onle big 'dust' (vertical line actually) in the wood glue, marked in yellow. That is actually a scratch on the disc, so cannot ble cleaned...

6. walkman archive

This a capture from a SONY UX-Pro recorded with Dolby C from my vinyl. So: vinyl cleaned with wood glue -> recorded on high performance chrome tape > with Dolby C > to sound card > to MP3 (192kbps CBR).

7. Michelle Knight

Michelle Knight Active Member

That's impressive.

Some of these techniques succeed/fail as much on how they are applied, as much as whether the technique works or not. I've been coloured by watching the YouTube failures of the wood glue method. I guess I'll see how the revirginizer works and then see if my attitude changes. I might actually get an ion gun anyway. Next month... of course :)

8. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

This is funny but the subject is serious. Michael Fremer doing some record cleaning using various methods.

James Tervit likes this.
  9. walkman archive

Thanks!
    I haven't seen other's videos on how to apply the wood glue so I cannot say; I've just did what I think is right to do.
    Regarding the ion gun, it's the Zerostat 3. Here's is one at good price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILTY-PR...489059?hash=item51f3bb4ba3:g:9KAAAOSw2gxYojOD

10. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

excellent topic.
    I searched Amazon for revirginizer and couldn't find it.
    Hugo how much wood glue do you use to clean a record? any link?

11. PULOVR

PULOVR Member

double post

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  12. PULOVR

PULOVR Member

I have something similar (the Nagaoka roller). I bought it many many years ago (early 90's?). When it was new, after it got dirty, I just removed the aluminum/silicone roller part and washed it with warm soapy water, rinsed it clean, then let it air dry in it's plastic storage case. The "stickiness" was completely renewed. It's was so sticky after cleaning, that I could actually place it on a clean bathroom mirror and it would slowly "roll" down the glass without me holding the handle (like these silicone toys). lol

It's was good roller cleaner before it lost most of it's stickiness after about 5 years worth of use. Back then I only "wet" cleaned my vinyl when the roller didn't do a good enough job.

(image from the net)
    [​IMG]

Imo, the advantage of the silicone roller vs liquid and brushes... no rubbing in or moving around the dirt. The roller gently lifted dirt/dust from the groves. That's why I liked using it. I miss the way my old Nagaoka used to worked. I just wish they made affordable replacement rollers so I can swap out the old one. They want way to much for them now.

I don't know how well the newer plastic handle "clones" work, but if they're just as sticky as my old Magaoka used to be, you should be happy with the outcome.

Edit:
    You know what? I might just buy one of those roller clones myself to test out. Hmm, I could even use it to help get rid of any dust particles before installing screen protectors on smart phones and tablets. No dust bubbles. :)

13. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@PULOVR And u cannot beat a laminar flow hood to get a dust-free space! I got a few in my lab but thinking about buying one for my hobbies: all those over-financed and failed startups sell them for the price of moving 'em out, at least here in CA

14. walkman archive

I'll try to post some photos and a short tutorial on how I do it soon, ok?

15. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Thanks, looking forward seeing your future guide on how to clean vinyl using wood glue

16. PULOVR

PULOVR Member

17. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

I am looking into Ultrasonic cleaning, so far I am looking at buying a 80Khz tub as it is quieter. I am not convinced to spend over 4k on a machine, but a tub with a kit from a referral with Michael Fremer has got me thinking, what can 3400 of a difference actually be? this is a fascinating thread to me as this is where my focus will be heading now that I am happy with my setup...

Jorge likes this.
  18. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

That might be a good idea James Tervit, we have a ton of surplus over here and ultrasonics turn up every once in a while. What about something like this? You could put a wooden dowel through the center and have 1/2 of it submerged and just spin it by hand.

I just found the size of the tank, Tank Size 11 3/4" L x 6" W x 6" H. Records are a hair under 12? but I bet it would fit at an angle.
    https://www.yescomusa.com/products/6l-stainless-steel-digital-ultrasonic-cleaner-machine

$139.00 USD on Jet.com
    https://jet.com/product/detail/be10...MI1_vz_oPC2AIVC1cNCh0MHQFpEAQYASABEgK-nPD_BwE

d592db1f08ef2237c6c5dbf4f36cb663.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    James Tervit likes this.
  19. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

I have used the Audio Desk Systeme and loved it but I checked out the KLAudio cleaner, looking at the running cost I will be getting the KLAudio one to use along side my Loricraft PRC3. The KLAudio does as good a job as the Audio Desk Systeme.

20. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

The Vinyl Cleaner Pro looks promising TooCool4 but it's a little out of my budget. How does it clean?