1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GE 3-5254A paint color poll

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by TheDood723, Jun 7, 2017.

?

Red or turquoise (metallic)?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2017.
  1. Red

36.4%
  2. Turquoise

18.2%
  3. "Cobalt blue"

45.5%
  1. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@nickeccles Thank you!!!

My experience is limited to Alclad metallizers, they must be airbrushed, preferably in one misty layer, over gloss black. Clear overcoat spoils the effect of bare metal, as seen on some 1st gen jets. The final result should not be even touched or it peels off, not a good idea for Walkman or b-box painting...

Myguess for metallic red (yes, I just love Red!) I should use red (or is it better white???) base paint. Also, am I reading it right that deep metallic sheen is achieved by thick gloss overcoat, Not layers of metallic?

2. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Metallic base coat must cover well for a nice finish, you can also get a flatter finish of clear coat where sheen is reduced if you want that?

I forget to mention that you must use a primer basecoat for a professional finish (Yes you can achieve this) You may be able to get a primer coat spray that doesn't need a light rub down - I would personally always use a primer that you can rub flat (even a old school cellulose primer is fine) as it's on you to prepare the very best surface!!

If you want an even better result, when the primer coat is completely dry, spray a VERY light dust coat of black over all area's to be painted then rub down the primer very lightly until the guide black is gone without going through the primer coat! I do this with a very fine wet & dry paper, say P1200 grade dipped in a warm soapy bucket of water............then dry completely, wipe over with a panel degreaser - this will again contribute to a finish you will not believe! :wink:

Remember......preparation is EVERYTHING!! First lesson I had to learn!

3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I think I got it! Now its time to get some nice but cheap boombox for a repaint...:)
    In Red metallic!

4. TheDood723

TheDood723 New Member

Jeez I never expected this many replies and the discussion on this site :laugh: I'm having trouble staying patient enough while I gather the things I need for the boombox :lollegs:

Radio Raheem and nickeccles like this.
  5. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

start with an m90 haha

6. TheDood723

TheDood723 New Member

Aaaand it looks like Cobalt Blue is the winner :boogie::yahoo:yesss::banana:

Gonna hopefully be getting the things I need for what I wanna do with the boombox soon, gotta start planning out where things are gonna go :cool: I think you guys may like what I have in mind, never seen or heard of it being done before

7. TheDood723

TheDood723 New Member

Oh and I forgot to ask, what would be the belt size for the cassette player in the GE 3-5254a, and also a Realistic Modulaire 1000? How would I find out?

8. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Its a good question!, I asked the Q before and the answer was that there is a database of all the belts out there! It did not load onto my Windows-7 though... :hmmm
    Anyway, the game is on!! I will paint my next bbox in metallic red and we gonna know which colour is the Real winner! :wavey:

9. TheDood723

TheDood723 New Member

Haven't had much luck finding belt sizes, I've looked into files and PDFs ans stuff and they all seem to skip over the 5254a and Modulaire 1000 :iconconfused: