GMYW's "Good Cassette Walkmans List" and Guide

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by givemeyourwalkmans, May 6, 2024.

1. givemeyourwalkmans

givemeyourwalkmans Active Member

Preface:

Seeing as I've been in the 'business' of buying Walkmans now for a few years. I thought I might as well make a subjective guide on what I consider good cassette Walkmans. The purpose here, past just procrastinating a bit is to hopefully provide a bit of an 'entry point' or foot-in-the-door for budding prospective collectors and enthusiasts.

As I said, this is entirely a subjective list/guide. These are my opinions, based on my interests. This is a public website on the internet and discussion is encouraged. So feel free to openly agree, disagree etc. but remember the human and consider that everyone has very different tastes, requirements, standards and so on.

I will do my best to update this thread semi-regularly, add/change better photos and overall just maintain and improve my first posts. Thanks for your patience.

--------------------------------------------------------

Rather than beat around in the bush too much I'll get straight to the point. I've been collecting Walkmans for a few years, so I've owned a lot of different models from different manufacturers but all of them generally have three things in common:

1. They are high quality units, aka with the most features or arguably the best sound.
    2. They are in literal mint condition, aka A+ to S-tier condition. So barely a single tiny 1mm scratch per device.
    3. They have parts which are not impossible to source and I can generally maintain them myself.

Other minor things I care about are: metal body, high frequency range heads (HX, NG etc), radio (TV/AM/FM) and made in Japan. Just to name a few.

Because I buy models that have dozens of desirable features, I can actually get a wide range of enjoyment out of my devices. Yes, that means I actually DO use my Walkmans (almost all of them) to play tapes. Why wouldn't I? I wouldn't spend money on just old paperweights. The models I have are generally the highest quality / most expensive of their time/class. Not only do they look the part, they also sound great. Usually with these models parts are available and because these devices were already high quality and built well, they generally tend to last quite a long time without me having to pick up a screwdriver. If I do decide to part with one of these, I can always sell it for more than I bought it. Yes I have never lost money on a purchase, ever. Neither will you if you take care of your devices. Just be sure to avoid doing something like this.

Following these 3 principles has kept me out of a LOT of trouble. It's also stopped me wasting a lot of money. So just out of curiosity, how much have I spent on Walkmans? Well, according to my Notion database, at last calculation:

upload_2024-5-6_18-15-35.png

Which brings me to the next point. Walkmans of the type I like can be extremely expensive. I have paid up to as much as €2500 for my most precious model, but as low as only €12.80 for an arguably 4.5/5 star similar model. Yeah, it's crazy right? That's what you get with vintage analogue collection. Obviously as far as throwing €2.5k at a cassette player, I'm blessed by God to have an amazing salary all glory to him and this kind of money is only for the absolute most perfect condition model with all accessories etc. included and so on. There's no "hard and fast" method of knowing what a Walkman is worth. Prices for some models might drift between 10%-20%, for others they might drift from 30%-90%. What one person could sell for €12.80, another could sell for €400 and so on. [subjective]So I really want to stress, price and market value does not exist in this market![/subjective]

--------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: May 19, 2024 at 9:27 AM
    Duey71, Mister X and Hyperscope like this.
  2. givemeyourwalkmans

So I said I'd cut to the chase. What models do I actually recommend?

Where possible, these photos are my own and of the exact devices I actually own.

In no particular order, here are my favourite models, followed by a brief explanation of why I would buy one and why I would not.

## WM-DD9

[​IMG]

Why: It's top 1-2 of Sony's line ever made. Literally exceptional quality in every way. Dual motors for Quartz DD in both directions, single battery, compact and a super nice case that really protects the device without damaging it. From a purists perspective, it just sounds divine. The only DD with feather touch buttons and of course it's made of metal. If you had to own one Walkman to rule them all, I'd say it's this one (or the EX2000).

Why not: It costs the earth and you will see good condition models trade for ludicrous prices, generally never under $1000. The head isn't adjustable. It's heavy as a brick at 330g not incl. battery + case. It only takes a single AA and eats even the best Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA in about 5 hours. Finally it's probably the most difficult model to fix ever and most repairers will charge a much higher premium to fix it over the other any other Walkman. The latch is also really finicky and hard to fix. Most people will never own one in good condition.

------------------------------------

## WM-EX2000

[​IMG]

Why: Honestly, I think it's the best cassette Walkman ever made, sue me! At least because I haven't ever got my hands on an HS-PX30. It does and has everything. Every single modern cassette function is included in this Walkman and boy does it look stunning and plays the part. Full silver metal body. New circuits and tantalum capacitors. Lowest W&F of any Walkman maybe ever thanks to the super heavy brass flywheels. SUPER long battery life, there's just too many good things to list. Between the DD9 and this, I'd probably choose this for the features.

Why not: There's really nothing you can fault this device for, except it doesn't have Dolby-C. Otherwise it weighs half the DD9. Not all features can be used without the remote but ALMOST all can! Maybe my only 'real' complaint is that it doesn't have a specifically cut leather carry case but only a fabric bag. Still it represents Sony's extreme dedication to quality after so many years of Walkman refinement.

## WM-DC2

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Why: It's a DD2 with some D6C ingredients, namely Dolby-C. It's also the only Walkman with a Line Out which is fantastic for ripping cassettes to digital via eg. Audacity or when paired with a headphone amp (but that reduces portability). Instead of going through the amp you get a "purer" signal straight out that bypasses the amp. Excepting the DD9, it's the best DD model there is. If you are ultra lucky, you can get one with a really special head that is supposedly better than the usual, but was only used in select serial numbers. I love mine so much I got a special genuine leather case made for it. Worry not, you can get your own!

Why not: It can be stupidly expensive. The head has pretty low dynamic range (40-15000Hz) Dolby-C tapes aren't all that common either unless you record your own with good hardware. You're paying 2-5x the DD3 price, really for the Line Out and Dolby-C, plus it only comes in black. As with all DD's it still has weak hinge the original cracked gear issue. To be honest, my mint DD3 has almost indistinguishable sound quality, it's just missing the Line-Out. So my bottom line: only consider if you really want/need the Line Out.

## WM-DD3

[​IMG]

Why: It's full metal, gorgeous in all colours, has a LOUD amp, 2 headphone ports and most importantly it's a Quartz DD model with negligible W&F and near perfect speed. I love all these square models, they look retro as. Any of the colors of this model are a looker and will turn heads. Despite the pretty low head frequency range they have shockingly good sound and generally run very well.

Why not: The frequency range of the head is pretty poor, especially in the highs. Despite being made of metal the case scratches really easily and the scratches are really visible even in low light. The most annoying thing on any of these DD models is the battery compartment is an absolute PITA to access and you'll often find many outright missing the battery door.

## WM-DD30 (photo credit Nils)

[​IMG]

Why: It's a WM-DD3 with a slightly different face that got Sony's Mega Bass which you may or may not (likely not) care about. I love the front raised plate the buttons sit on. In short, it's a very solid DD model. However, if you already own a DD3, I'd say you're not missing out on anything.

Why not: Sony chopped the headphone amp by 50% output (from 20mW to 10mW). Some people also argue that any mega-bass model has a garbo circuit. You'll find a lot of people really nothing nice to say about Mega Bass models. As always YMMV.

## WM-10II / WM-30

[​IMG]

Why: Could it be the best looking cassette Walkman ever made? I absolutely love this thing. It's no bigger than the size of a cassette, fits in the palm of your hand and looks positively retro. God says we shouldn't love things of the world but I could almost look at this thing all day. As the above photo shows it also comes in 5 awesome colours. I like the blue and red the most.

Why not: It's not a DD model and has got pretty terrible W&F, the speed is usually way off and the single battery doesn't last long. It's also very easy to scratch without the case it comes with (though with it you can't access the controls well). Aside from Dolby-B, it has no other functions. It's also a nightmare to fix and the head quality is pretty low. So yeah, despite its amazing looks it's really sadly an underperformer in the sound department. :(

## WM-F701C

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Why: It could be the best radio Walkman ever made if you don't need or care for every modern possible feature that the Panasonic RQ-S90F has. Absolutely fantastic Dolby-C, loud clear circuit, Amorphous EX head, AM/FM/TV radio, long-life tantalum caps, feather touch buttons. It's all metal but lightweight and definitely looks premium. You can often get it even cheaper than the 701C and 703C which are exactly the same but don't have the awesome radio.

Why not: There's very little reasons against this model. I guess the W&F can be somewhat high, but still not enough to be a real issue; just don't compare it to a DD model. It's missing some of the more modern features the RQ-S90F has and sadly doesn't have a leather carry case, just a fabric pouch.

## RQ-S80

[​IMG]

Why: It's the only Walkman with a 12 core laminated extra special playback head that will likely last a lifetime and has extreme sensitivity for the highs. Boasts a 15-21000hz dynamic range and has Dolby-C to boot. The look might not be for everyone and I don't think it looks all that special but in terms of playback, this Walkman is very hard to beat if you don't care for modern features like cue, AMS, blank skip, EQ, radio etc.

Why not: Despite being made in 1992 it lacks a lot of modern features other Walkmans had at the time. It's extremely expensive and pretty rare to find. It's very hard to source the remote and without it, you can't use most of the functions. Finding one in great condition is going to be tough. Good luck finding a replacement head or parts too! Generally it's never seen still with an intact Japanese S80 sticker either.

## RQ-S90F

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Why: Is it the best radio Walkman ever made? This thing can even record (but not so well), it has a bi-azimuth HX head, Dolby-B, AM/FM/TV radio, Panasonic's special "twin rotor motor", dozens of modern features like TPS, cue etc, feather touch buttons, a remote, special locking mechanism and vibration dampener which prevents cassette vibration and lowers W&F. It also has an adjustable bi-azimuth head. It's relatively good looking, and probably Panasonic/National's most feature packed model ever made. Lastly out of all Walkmans it has by far the most satisfying 'latch click' ever.

Why not: More features = more things that can break. The look isn't for everyone. No Dolby-C (but who cares!) and unfortunately despite the release price, it's made of plastic (but looks like metal!) and therefore scratches somewhat easily. Capacitors are sadly not tantalum oxide.

## RQ-S75F (or RQ-S35V)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Why: It's a slight step down from the S90F but it's better looking imo. Looks way more retro with all the buttons on the front. I love the print of Japan on the back (if you can get it with the text and image in good cond.) Still has the quiet Twin Rotor Motor and all the important functions you need. I wish they had kept the design for the S90F. Easier to make a custom case for too and it came in a really nice plastic carry box. Another choice is the RQ-S35V which is almost exactly the same but can come in a beautiful blue colour and still has the Twin Rotor Motor, though it drops the ASC and B.P functions in later models.

Why not: It's missing the features the S90F has, such as cue, logic controls, record etc. Higher power consumption and it's much bigger and heavier. Still made of plastic but doesn't look or feel like it at all. Sadly doesn't have a bi-azimuth design either like the S90F does.

## RQ-S55 & S65

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Why: They are unassuming looking but high quality Dolby-C Panasonic models with a wear resistant Amorphous FG heads and 15-20000Hz sensitivity.

Why not: They're not much more than that and I don't think either of them are all that good looking. The S65 (2nd photo) is especially pretty boring imo, has no window and I don't like how the buttons are laid out. Neither also have the upgraded Twin Rotor Motor as that first appeared on the RQ-S35 and RQ-S35V which came 1 year later.

## HS-PX30(3)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Why: Drum roll! It could be the best overall cassette Walkman ever made, yes I actually mean it this time. Yes, I mean this one, not the EX2000 or DD9. I've just never owned one... It has arguably the best head and it's bi-azimuth adjustable. The best DSL (think actually good Mega Bass) which is actually parametric and can be fine tuned. Amazing amplifier, maybe the best Dolby-C circuit of them all (matching the DD9 quality) and personally I think it's one of the best looking Walkmans ever made regardless of silver or black colour. With all high quality Aiwa's it also came with a really nice leather case that protects it extremely well, whilst allowing use of all functions. I am supremely jealous of anyone who owns one. Ok no I am not, God says you shouldn't be jealous of anyone, so I am merely extremely happy for them instead...

Why not: It's maybe one of the hardest models ever to fix and it's so difficult to get parts for. It has a lot of failure points and you'd be lucky to find one that doesn't look like it's been sitting at the bottom of a salt lake for 30 years or been run over by a bus. It's also one of the most stupidly expensive and rare models. Even busted up ones can go for $800 or more, so it costs the earth to even get a donor or two (and you need one). This model is a true "rare legendary pokémon" and appears about as frequently as one. People bid furiously over these and there's a special place in hell reserved for folks who collect this model and don't share them ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) hehe

## HS-PX50(5)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Why: It's an often cheaper (but not much) version of the PX30, despite being a bit newer. Still has almost all the quality and features of the PX30. But in this version it also has the new adjustable BBE system.

Why not: Without the bi-azimuth adjustable head and parametric DSL of the PX30 but instead has BBE bass which barely anyone really cares or needs on tapes; so I consider this a downgrade. Whilst still a beautiful model, imo it doesn't look as nice as the PX30. I'd rather both the features and design that the PX30 has. It's also still extremely difficult to repair and expensive to source parts for (you need a donor). I'm not sure what it is, but I really don't like the look of the silver one.

## HS-PC202 (Mk2 or 3)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Why: After the PX30 and 50 comes this masterpiece. In the Price:Quality ratio it's probably the best Walkman ever made, no joke. Versus other models, this one can be had for a modest $50-150 (depending on cond.) and sounds as good as most "perfect cond." $500+ Walkmans. This honestly gives the DD9 and DC2 a serious run for their money. The Mk2 and Mk3 in particular are stunning looking in my opinion. All models come with an amazing thin but durable case that protects the Walkman so well and allows access to all the buttons. It's super lightweight but front and back are made of metal and it's crammed with functions. The DSL completely smokes the Mega Bass even on the DD9. If you don't need/care about Dolby-C there is the P202 Mk1, 2 or 3 which is otherwise completely the same but even maybe cheaper.

Why not: There's actually no reason at all to avoid this model unless you are some kind of "DD only" whacko. It's an amazing model with basically no flaws. I dunno if I had to force myself to gripe about something, I'd say maybe the W&F is a bit high but don't try and tell me your ears can tell the difference between this and a DD. They all run a little fast, but if you calibrate speed properly it's an excellent model. I guess a fair gripe is that the belt always needs to be replaced and the electrolytic caps are also usually going pretty bad, when I got mine the audio included motor hum because it needed to be re-capped and the belt was looking a bit worn so it needed a new one. tl;dr - Cheap, amazing but often need work. The PC-202 Mk1 (not pictured) is the same thing but pretty ugly imo and it requires its own case as it looks totally different.

Last edited: May 19, 2024 at 9:25 AM
    Radio Raheem, Raul, Valentin and 3 others like this.
  3. givemeyourwalkmans

placeholder

To add a list of common issues/gripes with each model.

Last edited: May 14, 2024 at 2:32 AM
  4. givemeyourwalkmans

placeholder

To add a list with reasons for specific models I would totally avoid.

Last edited: May 14, 2024 at 2:32 AM
  5. givemeyourwalkmans

placeholder (last one)

6. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I buy for different reasons and most of mine are shelf queens, 20 years ago it was like Dawn of the Dead and everyone was tossing "vintage" audio equipment for tiny Bose Speakers and MP3 players. My first real score was an AIWA from Goodwill, a brand my neighbor told me was 10x better than Sony in 82. A little better then entry-level it was gold for me and the hunt began for more. I love the engineering and build/design of audio equipment and since most of it is still very useable, I'll pull out and use random units whenever I have free time.

F0r me it's more about looks and build, the RS-J3 looks like something Van Damme would smack the smile off your face, RCA jacks and pignose screws, what's not to like?
    The CP-53 is a golden idol waiting for some Madonna love and very hard to find
    Sansui, yea mostly junk but they are branded with a killer name and do look kinda cool on the shelf, they also tend to be harder to find
    Panasonic RX-1950, 1955, 1960, mmm radio and record? Big brick style but very well made
    ....and the HS-J02, a real classic

My online purchases in the early days of ebay (remember when you had to actually send money?) were for any early recording portables, these were super-rare back then, now, not so much. With so much for sale back then I skipped by the Walkman DD Units, like a fool, but they were expensive back then compared to everything else, along with the high-end boomboxes.

I just got the RX 1960 last week, it had to have been postioned next to the HS-J02, they are nearly identical in size, weight and overall look but the Panasonic does have a built in stereo mic. Both will live happily up there. I'm starting to think I should rearraange everything small to large.

7. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Great post! The Kenwood CP-E7 I would add for its playback quality, although it might be subjective.

Minor remark: according to the data collected for the DD Genealogy, the DC2 is a DDII with some D6C ingredients, not a DDIII.
    IMG_4851.jpeg

Recaptcha and Mister X like this.
  8. Recaptcha

Recaptcha Well-Known Member

Wow! I would love to see pictures... that is one rare beast. Is it the silver one? Valentin is excellent at restoring these, so you should make out great!

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    Valentin likes this.
  9. givemeyourwalkmans

Congrats! I am still looking. The last couple I've seen have been in a pretty bad state and unfortunately went for a fortune. I did manage to pick up 2 perfect condition JC-K99's (blue and orange) though for next to nothing and it's almost immediately become one of my favourite models. I'll own a PX30 .... someday :)

Last edited: May 13, 2024 at 12:22 AM
  10. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Very nice writeup. Your comments about frequency response, are they based on your listening, or on the published specs? I've often found the published specs to be dubious, because they usually don't provide the +/- dB taper or the rolloff. A bass response of 30 Hz or treble response of 18,000 is kind of meaningless if the dB has fallen off a cliff before that.

Last edited: May 18, 2024 at 1:41 PM
    Raul likes this.
  11. Raul

Raul Active Member

Givemeyourwalkmans:
    About RQ-S55 - afaik the S35 (newer model) was first that had twin rotor motor, but I was using both and I dont hear much difference in that regard.
    About HS-PC202 - Mk I isnt that good looking but its louder than MkII and III models.

12. givemeyourwalkmans

I think you are right that the S35 was the first model to get it, along with the S35V, which dropped Dolby-C for an Area Bank Tuner.

The RQ-S35 and S35V are pretty much the same, but neither of them have ASC (Amenity Sound Control). Though to be honest I have no idea what this does. I have one Walkman with this, the RQ-S55V and it doesn't really seem like it does anything to me.
    The RQ-S75F also adds B.P. with options of 1, 2 or 3. Refer to the photo above of the back of the device, you can see the switches for ASC and B.P. Again, I have no idea what it does too because I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere and I even tried looking in some manuals. The RQ-S55V doesn't have the twin motor rotor, but it did get ASC (switch is on the back).