1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - how to put a c-clip back

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by dom69, Apr 1, 2024.

1. dom69

dom69 Member

Hello,

I am going through the repair of another WM-D3 unit I recently acquired (was once again lucky to get one for almost nothing, and it's in pretty good shape with nothing missing).

Cleaning the goo left by the decomposition of the plastic of the original counter belt, which I'm replacing, I removed the c-clip that is located on the axis of the rewind gear (see service manual pic).

The problem I have is to put it back... I try to push it from the side into the groove, but it keeps flying around and I'm scared to loose it... I've tried to put some grease to have it sticking a bit while I push, but then it's too slippery. I made a cover with polyethylene kitchen film to avoid loosing it as much as possible, but the little b...d is still playing me tricks.

What do you guys recommend, and what is your technique? Should I push it down from the top of the axis? Else?

Thanks a lot for your tips!

Attached Files:

2. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

I use either a small pair of pliers of a small flat screwdriver while keeping the sides of it with 2 fingers in order not to fly.
    It's better to use pliers in my opinion because it requires quite a bit of force and by just pushing (without counterholding the shaft) there's a risk to bend the shaft.

Grease will not help as the force required to push it is orders of magnitude higher than the surface tension of the grease.
    Installing it from the top will also not work, since you need to bend it over its elastic point to make it slide down.

Boodokhan, dom69 and Deb64 like this.
  3. dom69

dom69 Member

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, even with small pliers I to break it :eek:
    Broken.jpeg

Then I DIY-ed a replacement from a plastic bottle, in which I pinched a hole, seems to be working.
    Replacement.jpeg

I hope it does the trick - maybe the plastic material doesn't fit it because of friction? Fingers crossed, as I don't see any other option for now.
    In place.jpeg

EDIT: when I turn the cogwheel, the "washer" is spinning as well, I'm not sure the c-clip would have. Maybe I should pinch a slightly smaller center hole so that the washer wouldn't spin, but then that would increase friction, not sure it would be a good idea...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
  4. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

Circlips were the bain of my life until i got my technique down.
    A good investment would be a pair of dedicated c-clip pliers.
    I've had good results using this aliexpress store. Their clips are decent and go down to M1 size as I recall.

Valentin likes this.
  5. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

Chris_D likes this.
  6. dom69

dom69 Member

Chris_D and Valentin like this.
  7. Chris_D

Chris_D Active Member

good luck!
    It's always a good idea to use the correct tools and components. You have NO excuse for fkg it up now!
    >.<

dom69 likes this.
  8. dom69

dom69 Member

lol, indeed :)

9. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Here's a good website on Circlips
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/content/discovery/ideas-and-advice/circlips-guide

I think most of ours are "E-Type" I've been able to get by with my Wiha Screwdriver Set but might invest in a tool one of these days. While your at it get a big magnet, they're a few dollars but are awesome if you lose those small metal parts. I do have a tool for the style with holes, it's been a lifesaver, I think those are much more difficult to install/remove.

dom69 and Valentin like this.
  10. dom69

dom69 Member

The good tools for the right results! :)

Tools.jpeg

Result.jpeg

Thanks to all for your precious help, this one is fixed now :D

Valentin likes this.
  11. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

If you have a scrap hard disk (of the spinning rust type) they contain very powerful magnets.

dom69 likes this.