1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hope this is not an issue because it's off topic a bit

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by JAMESCYBERJOE, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Going completely off topic, the best concert I have been to was Kylie, just about when she released Light Years and before a video with some gold Hot Pants restored her popularity and ticket prices.

T-ster and Radio Raheem like this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Sorry what? I heard Kylie and hotpants and zoned out for a bit.....

3. superlew

superlew Member

Stumped. :scratch2: I don't recognize it.
    Just throwing it out there - Mazda 323? I could picture a RH Drive 323 on a UK country road.

4. Longman

Superlew is correct that the car was Japanese. As a bigger clue here is a picture of the interior.
    Just like with 1980s Boomboxes the designers didn't like curves.
    Interior.jpg
    Note that by the time this photo was taken I had swapped the Radio Cassette for a Philips as the tape deck clutches in the factory fitted one started playing up.

5. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

That Panasonic is nice, I don't remember seeing one with meters before. I've always kept an eye out for a Marantz Stack but sadly my older cars just don't have the room for a full system. I remember my buddy was able to put a stack in his 90's Prelude but most cars went to the smaller radio opening shortly after that.

6. Longman

Since the what cars thread has been resurrected I thought I had better finish this one.
    The mystery car was a Nissan Sunny Coupe which was mine from 1991 to 2002.
    After I sold it I often saw it until about 2005
    Nissan Sunny Coupe_Small.jpg

Very 1980s angular styling, which I still like. I think the first ones were produced in about 1986.
    Mine was 1988. The ZX version came with a spoiler and side skirts.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nissan+sunny+coupe+zx&tbm=isch&imgil=X1-lBXCqH_iUCM%3A%3BrH0YeW0crLB0qM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.performance-car-guide.co.uk%252Fperformance-cars%252Fnissan%252Fnissan-sunny-zx-coupe.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=X1-lBXCqH_iUCM%3A%2CrH0YeW0crLB0qM%2C_&usg=__WBHRnI3lbIRI8tYhnNX1eepeKLE=&biw=1191&bih=608&ved=0ahUKEwiIyfaGmd7SAhWkLsAKHWcuBRkQyjcIJQ&ei=hS7MWMjyIqTdgAbn3JTIAQ#imgdii=9Ynm7AnpYFp71M:&imgrc=CVt_s2W_6Oj6vM:&spf=242

Another car that I like the styling of from around the same time is the original Toyota MR2.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=t...7CYicgAb7xY2ABQ#imgrc=x79lqX0-xcMb6M:&spf=192

At the same time as Boomboxes turned into eggs cars seemed to revert to Moris Minor type styling.

7. superlew

superlew Member

So, it's a Sentra Hatchback aka...
    ...So close!!!

I had a couple of 80's Japanese cars:
    1989 Honda CRX (Civic): Girl car - Bought it for $1,700 in 1996 from a lady moving from NH to CA - had roughly 60K. Yeah, I basically stole it off her. put 10K more on it and sold it to a good friend for ... $1,700!
    1988 Honda Accord LXi Hatchback: Drove the wheels off of it (almost literally) driving back and forth for a year between Orlando and Tamp FL. Paid $2,000 in 1998. Gave the title and keys to my neighbor with no brakes and a questionable auto transmission. He was grateful.

8. Longman

You are completely right about the AKA, although after all these years I was never aware they were called a Sentra in the USA. Quite a few cars seem to get different names in different markets. What you call a Honda Fit is called a Honda Jazz over here.

9. superlew

superlew Member

I'd bet the prototype was called the "Jazzercize." :lollegs:

10. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

11. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

12. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

Holy thread resurrection!

I've just scored myself a Panasonic Car Compo from a guy who got it in his S1 Lotus Esprit. Managed to get it for a whopping £45, minus the speakers sadly, but he did give me some period Lotus factory-fit Pioneer door speakers that he removed from his own car, as he was (now finished!) building a replica of the Lotus in For Your Eyes Only. He even fabricated his own ski racks for the rear! I'll get some pictures when I can, my plan is to box it up and make a small boombox from it and use a 12v power supply.

Edited to add the correct Bond film!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  13. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I've never seen one of those come up for sale, great find! I think the Esprit was in a different bond movie but I saw a Europa driving around last week, I haven't seen one of those in decades, maybe the 70's?

14. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

My mistake, its For Your Eyes Only! D'oh!

Lotus_Turbo_Esprit_James_Bond_007.jpg

15. Longman

Has anyone considered using a 12V drill battery for this type of project. Both the chargers and batteries are really cheap compared with what they used to be.

lupogtiboy and Mister X like this.