1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Info on two AIWA's from the 90's

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by enryfox, Jan 10, 2017.

1. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

Hi, I'm looking for some info on a couple of AIWA walkman's I have.

1) AIWA HS-P107: it is a black plastic walkman which I bought in '93. I think it is a basic model but I still have the original bright yellow box (in pristine condition) and all accessories/manuals. Despite being treated carefully, it has several problems: the motor emits a cracking noise (I think from a bearing) and there is no audio output other than varying frequency tone (I guess all caps have dried out ...). Is it a collectible item ? is it worth repairing ?

2) AIWA HS-PX287: I got it off ebay as new old stock some years ago. It is in perfect working conditions, but it looks like a late AIWA model after Sony bought the whole company. This one too has its original box, accessories and manuals. Is it worth anything ?

I can post pictures of both if anyone is interested.

thanks
    bye

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Please share some pictures of AIWA HS-PX287. Never seen this model

3. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

Here are some picture of both walkman's.
    The px287 has similar features as the Sony WM-EX652 (also the same head positioning, opposite to the door hinges) but it is mostly made of plastic and has a very cheap look and feel. Accessories-wise it has just a pair of budget earphone.

enryfox_p107.jpg enryfox_px287_4.jpg
    enryfox_px287_1.jpg enryfox_px287_2.jpg
    enryfox_px287_3.jpg

4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

The px287 is very recent - 2002 according to this Amazon page

https://www.amazon.de/Aiwa-HS-PX827-tragbarer-Kassettenspieler-silber/dp/B000068RLC

None of my catalogue scans are that recent.

Probably not worth much as a collectable but the fact that it all works is a bonus.
    Personally I like these late model personal stereos. The fact that they are less than half the age of the original ones
    mean they are less likely to have worn out.

5. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

Uhm .. you actually swapped two digits :)
    The Amazon page is for the px827 which is a late hi-end model. Mine is a low/mid range model px287. From the kind of features and the level of manufacturing I would date it between 1999~2001. I bought it new old stock from a shop in southern Italy which probably had it in storage for years as a leftover from the walkman era.
    I still remember those kind of small electronic shops which in the mid 2000's would still have on sale late walkman's in faded box due to exposition to sun light. Those shops now still have portable CD players of unknown brands ...