1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is this worth repairing?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Command8, Dec 8, 2016.

?

how should I manage my time of 2 days

Poll closed Dec 14, 2016.
  1. fix the Phillip

100.0%
  2. spend time looking for 2nd hand walkman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. give up

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. you are screwed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have a better idea ...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Good news, i received the panasonic <3 it sounds amazing with my AKG Y50's.
    IMG_20161216_124450.jpg
    IMG_20161216_124900.jpg
    IMG_20161216_124916.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a merry Christmas and a happy new year. It took me a while but i finally disassembled and got to the bottom of the problem with the phillip. as you can see in the pic related the gear has deteriorated.
    IMG_20170110_225208.jpg IMG_20170112_225749.jpg IMG_20170110_225227.jpg
    if anyone knows where i can buy or make a replacement gear, please reply.

In other news i finally received the pc202mii, though I had to go to post office to pick it up.
    IMG_20170112_231035.jpg

3. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Analog Audio is much better than digital. You will realize it when you listen to higher end analog divices. MY DD9 or DC2 sounds much better than my Ipod. There is a video clip compared a DC2 to CD player done by Hugo and i hope you watch it to compare it yourself (imagine that a CD sounds much better than MP3 files).

anyway, It is a big disappointment by looking at the broken gear of your walkman. How can a gear get these kind of extensive damages? for a small damage i would think about getting a broken walkman and replace the gear but sounds like this part is not very sturdy and you might think about a possible 3D printing option. It is just my personal opinion and i hope to hear a better suggestion from other members

4. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

Not sure if it is related, but it looks like a similar problem. Many Philips tape deck's have a bad reputation due to a failing gear: regardless of how you treat them, with time the gear will fail rendering the tape deck's useless as spare parts are no longer available.
    My Philips CD player too had a similar issue with the tray mechanism where a gear broke to pieces for no apparent reason. At least for the CD player I could find an ebay a third party replacement and it has been working flawless ever since.
    Maybe it was bad material engineering or deliberate planned obsolescence, but it looks like several Philips devices have faulty gears.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  5. Command8

Command8 Active Member

from what i can observe the material of the gear isn't hard plastic like every other component but rather a rubber like element, so I assume planned obsolescence, i could be wrong since this is the gear that transfers the kinetic energy from the gear powered by the belt.
    enryfox, do you have any 3rd party replacement or repair shop in Milan that you recommend?

6. Command8

Command8 Active Member

the gear only broke when i tried to get it out. I think they used resin. I had to get it out since every test play a teeth was coming out. Ill try to explore 3d printing, luckily my university has a room full of dedicated 3d printers.

I did my research and was able to find the mechanical part number from an exploded drawing.
    4822 522 10138
    are there any search engine where i can find this exact part and buy a replacement?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  7. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

Exactly like the tape deck's, it's a sort of rubber that over time deteriorates until it breaks. Maybe it was intended as a fail-safe element but indeed it is making several 90's tape player from Philips very hard to repair or service.

For walkman's I do not know anyone offering repair service or replacement parts in the Milan area. There are though technicians who can repair/service tape decks, but they do not offer any assistance for portable players as they are mostly collectible items with a limited market.

8. Command8

Command8 Active Member

to be honest the phillips isn't a walkman more of an early mono boombox/recorder. I was thinking of adding it to my hifi channel at home, but I found much better during the holidays. I found my dad's old jvc kd-w55 cassette deck. for some reason the audio sounds better coming out of the headphone jack rather than the line-out, weird enough when i play a tape on the secondary cassette port it sounds weaker than on the primary port. I think I might give up on the phillips...:(

9. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

I would stick to sony and aiwa for repairs on walkmans that panasonic is a bitch in repairing!

10. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

Walkman repairing a sport for few and with good nerves!

11. Command8

Command8 Active Member

yeah but the thing is the only faulty component in the phillips is that one gear, everything else is in working order. I'm going to a store that specializes and sells multitudes of gears. I'm going to ask them about this gear or if they can substitue the gear with one of their own.