1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JVC PC100 clutch problem

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by mrn, Jan 25, 2017.

1. mrn

mrn Member

Hello Everybody.
    I got a question regarding the clutch mechanism of the JVC PC100, which seem to cause the problem of fluctuating band speed. Pls. let me just insert a photo from the audiotechnika-blog for those, who cannot recall what a PC100 is :)
    The tape speed fluctuation is clearly visible from the image below: playback of a constant beep recorded by a TCD5. the image shows the same recording, same tape played on the Sony TCD5 (right halve) and the JVC-PC100 (left halve of the photo).
    You clearly see the effect of the smeared 2500Hz line in case of the JVC :(

Now, I am afraid, the whole rpm-fluctuation is caused by the clutch of the JVC, which seems to be not only a complicated, 4-part thing, but the whole clutch seem to be under huge pressure all the time, when assmbled. Why I think so? Because the spring is compressed to its limits... and because the tiny bottom part has a much wider hole as the top 2 gears, which - i believe- lets the bottom mini gear tilt to sides as the clutch turns.

Now the questions come:
    - is this problem known? and if yes, what is the proposed solution to fix the rpm problem?
    - do you think that this clutch is only for FFwd and FRwd finctions, and could be simply closed? the reason I am asking this is because there seem to be a second clutch just above the disassembled clutch on the foto. If the other clutch is really a clutch (I did not touched it yet), then the 1st one might really serve only for fast rwd and fwd.

thanks in advance for all the comments!
    i am really looking forward to have constant tape speed on this beauty.