1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magnetic field from speakers

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Reflex85, May 28, 2017.

1. Reflex85

Reflex85 Member

It may be a little late to be worrying about this but now that our beloved music no longer exists on cassette, do you think stacking my cassettes on top of my speakers is going to damage them? My pocket compass spins wildly out to about 2 feet from boombox speakers.

2. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

First of all magnets and magnetic tape together will try to become one again like new and thus lose all of their individuality and music in this case.
    Now cassette tapes on top of speaker cabinets small to not much worry, but tapes on top of the raw drivers with the exposed magnets Yes
    Bottom line just don't do this if you wish your cassette music to play again as it was before.

3. Reflex85

Reflex85 Member

I have decided that if my compass can detect the offending magnets, I will store my cassette elsewhere. Its seems like 2 feet away from any speaker is plenty of distance. It may be a little paranoid on my part but its no trouble to simply move the cassette a little further away. It helps me sleep better at night knowing that my cassettes are not being systematically degraded.

4. transwave5

transwave5 Member

Thats something that hasent been addressed much.
    But most boombox speakers have magnetic sheilding to reduce this.
    one is around the magnet itself, the metal speaker grill, and the silver dustcap
    on the speaker is actually a magnetic shield.

5. Reflex85

Reflex85 Member

I have noticed that my big JVC 55 has the strongest effect on a handheld compass compared to my other boxes and stand alone speakers. I have to be 3 feet away from either side of the speakers to get a clean reading. It only takes about a foot above or infront.. this could be where it is most shielded.