1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mix tape exchange?

Discussion in 'Cassettes & Mixtape exchange' started by TooCooL4, Dec 12, 2016.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I'm in for some rock & pop. Count on me. Let's continue on the other thread I've just started...

It's not my favorite genre, sorry. But i suggest you to start a new thread about that.

Reflex85 likes this.
  2. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

I am sure iT was the remix from Remix With The Sun??

3. Reflex85

Reflex85 Member

This sound like a grand idea !!

4. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

I am not sure if it's the remix, i have the Remix With The Sun album but the 12" i have is the original one i think.

5. Chris

Chris Active Member

I would like to take part in this. I really like late 70's/early 80's rock and pop so the mixtape would probably only have that on it.

6. walkman archive

Hi Chris, in the other thread I asked for anyone who wants to swap some rock. Let's continue there...

Chris likes this.
  7. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Hi Hugo
    It's been a bit hectic since i got back from Munich so finding time to sit down an listen to your cassette is difficult, i am just trying to get a quick feel for it now. So far even though it's not the kind of music i normally buy, i am enjoying it. Which is why i like this kind of exchanges, it exposes me to new music.
    One quick thing i have noticed so far is on the first track, i find it a little fatiguing not sure if it's the source or the fact that the cassette is recorded a bit hot. By the way did all the songs come from the same source? Anyway i will let you know more once i get a good chance to sit down properly to listen to it.

Thanks again for the cassette.

8. walkman archive

Thanks for getting back, Toocool.
    I know my favorite genres maybe aren't your favorites too, but I hope the selection of songs sounds well to you and show you something different.

At first sight I thought I'll record some tracks from 80s from vinyl but as it seem to me that you have a very wide knowledge of artists and songs, I thought you may be bored with that and I should put my favorite songs and not just good old analogue songs.
    So I made a tracklist with 2 differentiated sides. In side A there's some rock&blues and some ballad. I think these songs do age very well. To me they are a bit timeless, like good old blues.
    In side B there's some modern alternative rock and a bit of hard rock. Those are my favorites. I love rock. My favorite rock is modern rock with big rythm changes, rich battery and melodic voice. I don't like dissonance in songs (like some bands/albums are based in), so all them are harmonic-based melodies, but with a lot of distorted guitars.

Regarding the first song, I think it has some dynamic range compression applied as it also sounds a bit hot to me, but I remember to record all them carefully so they didn't went far that +2 VU in your Nakamichi. Maybe some peaks, but momentarily.
    In fact, when I record modern music, especially if it has DR compression applied, I try to not surpass 0 VU. Maybe I did a small mistake with this song, I don't remember now.

Sadly I had only one of those songs in other than Spotify (CD in this case for Sevendust's song), but frankly there's not a big difference in sound at all. At least with this kind of music (alt. rock), although with R&B there should be slight differences.
    I used Spotify premium as source and my ARCAM irDAC and recorded them in my Technics RS-B965.

I hope you enjoy and please share your experience. Let's hope this encourage others to join the swapping :wave:

9. walkman archive

Another thing I must not forget to mention is the fact that it's not easy for me to write and read in english. Yes, I do, but it's not my native language. If that's not easy, you must imagine that understanding what is a singer saying in a song, is much more difficult.
    Therefore I usually only understand some small parts of the song and not the entire message/meaning at all. So if there's any song that has a message that you think is weird, please ignore it! :crazy
    I pick the songs just for their melody, sounds and the voice, but unless the letters are very easy I do not understand them. I know that may sound weird to some of you. If so, please try to do that with some song in spanish, for example.

10. Reflex85

Reflex85 Member

Hugo, do you like hard rock/ heavy metal?

11. walkman archive

Yes, I do. I confess I'm a bit bored of classic heavy metal (like iron maiden...) and did not hear modern heavy but I prefer more melodic songs from hard rock. Some of my favorite bands are Sevendust, Staind, Creed, Shinedown, Silvergun and, of course, classic hard rock like AC/DC or Koritni.
    To talk about rock it's best that we jump to the other thread in this very same subforum where I ask for some rock swapping...

12. Ivica

Ivica New Member

I like this music Hugo. Again if is not too late.
    Regards
    Ivica