1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New but an old member

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by MikeBoombox, Feb 2, 2017.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I mean home decks

2. MikeBoombox

MikeBoombox Member

Hey super let, Thanks man. How's the M-9990 doing?
    I can close my eyes & remember how good it really sounds
    With those awesome mirror chrome caps. Man I'm a sucker for those boomboxes with big chrome caps.

3. MikeBoombox

MikeBoombox Member

Superlew, How's the M-9990 coming along? Sure miss that box. A few good things about this box is that it has a good sound quality from low tid vol, Well built, very easy to carry, nice clock, & for being from the 70's is a beautiful box. Almost forgot those big nice chrome caps.

4. superlew

superlew Member

I restored it pretty much as soon as I got it out of the box. It works great, although I haven't powered it on in several months. It has the typical weak tuner the 9990 is known for, but it pulls strong FM stations well. I live fairly close to the city, so that's a big help. I also figured out why the clocks on these start to lose segments, so I repaired that, as well - it's very accurate. I addressed the tape deck - typical Sanyo PITA-To-Service deck. I also had to re-line the clutch, as it was worn and eating tapes. That works perfect now, too. Finally, I used the timer circuit to add a quasi-line-in. The case is in beautiful condition, so I didn't want to drill any holes for jacks. It's not ideal, but very functional, undetectable, and I'm not in danger of leaving the box on for days since the timer shuts it down when not in use.

Here's an older pic from shortly after restoration in 2012. It's in much better condition than the truck! :biggrin:
    ctl4.5.jpg

Brutus442 likes this.
  5. MikeBoombox

MikeBoombox Member

Wow she is gorgeous. Glad u still have her & tuned her to perfection.
    Keep that sweetie box alive & going.

6. Transistorized

Transistorized Active Member

Hey there Mike. Was hoping to get a hold of you one day. I'm still rocking your old Conion C-100 man. I love that thing. Got it out just a few days ago. She's still marching onward as you can tell by my signature below :) Take care buddy :)