1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEW Li-polymer C-USB rechargeable walkman gum stick battery

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Cassette2go, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

NEW Li-polymer C-USB rechargeable walkman gum stick battery
    I Bought 2 of these from China https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805200442093.html
    Each in USD $22.28 Expensive and they took one month to arrive.
    09 February 2024 I used my cell-phone to
    IMG_9683 Blue=Charged Red=Charging Li-polymer C-USB rechargeable walkman gum stick battery.JPG
    go live in facebook and also used a Canon cam-corder to upload a video about unboxing and trying these in my Sony WM-GX670 Walkman Auto Reverse Radio Cassettte.
    Sony WM Li-polymer C-usb rechargeable gum stick battery unboxing and playing in a cassette Walkman February 2024 (14:14) minutes
    *or* if not viewable https://www.facebook.com/james.c.pierce/videos/893772535813176
    Below is a fb reel and i reall dont know how to navigate those.
    https://www.facebook.com/reel/2020229791710876 Lastly my same name YT video
    Li-polymer C-USB rechargeable gum stick battery unboxing and playing in a Sony Walkman (15:16) minutes

RTB likes this.
  2. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Hi @Cassette2go!
    These look very familiar, I think the 860/890mAh marking is not really relevant or accurate.
    Happy to see the long gone NiCD-NiMH batteries can be safely discarded.
    A while back I posted findings about the 800mAh variant, spoiler alert: I like it.
    Easy to charge, works well. One issue though that @Valentin mentioned: there is a chance to short the Walkman with the Li-ion voltage (3.7V+).
    I hope they work as good for you as they do for me! From the same seller I bought comparable MD rechargeable, very happy with them.
    Emiel

Valentin and Cassette2go like this.
  3. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

I intend to buy a PB-S5 which is very similar to these and will be able to make some more clear assesments then.
    There is indeed a risk if the switching transistor of the buck regulator gets shorted, a direct connection between its input and output will occur due to how a Buck regulator is wired.

As for these gumsticks, I would be curious how much they last compared to a Vapex or similar NiMH cell.
    One of the problems I have encountered with the NiMH is some walkmans are not able to operate below a certain voltage, so not all the capacity is actually usable.
    These lithium ones might have exactly this advantage: having a constant output voltage during the discharge cycle all the capacity is usable.
    However the real world difference might not be as high or might even be the other way around.

The rated 890mAh certainly reffers to the overall assembly's capacity (at 1.2V) and it's nothing impressive even if it was to meet this specification.
    If I assume they are using a 200mAh 601235 type cell (picture attached) and a Buck coverter efficiency of 90%, the assembly's capacity at 1.2V is 554mAh.
    In this case, the Vapex can do significantly better even in the worst case scenario of not being fully discharged.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  4. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Hi Emiel. Assume you bought the 1.2V side charging version for use in an MD Walkman. Like most I have a drawer full of these NiMH 1.2V rechargeable gumsticks that all fail to run any MD Walkman for more than 20 minutes after a few recharges. All seem fine when you first use them but the slightest drop in voltage from peak and the dreaded "Low Batt" flashes on your LCD panel. There was one comment on the Ali site from a purchaser stating the MD version of this Li polymer battery worked like a new battery in a HiMD Walkman. So I bought one myself. Can't wait to see what happens when it meets the notorious MZ-R55 Walkman. The ultimate test bed for any MD Walkman gumstick battery

5. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

Hello Cassette2go,
    You never know what you can find on Aliexpress and this is great news because I know can get my self one those portable Mini discs because that one the reasons I waited because the battery .
    I do love my home unit thou.

Sincerely Richard

6. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

For sure they know how to tempt with open reel cassettes at $2.95 except when you go to checkout there's always tax and shipping to be added plus seems you get a fairly ordinary exchange rate and the actual price is $11.35. :noway: Then there are different prices on the site for what seems identical items. Still never had a problem with delivery and the items match the description. Given that they are a fulfilment facility for multiple vendors you have to expect that several of their suppliers will have an identical product at different prices. I have purchased several LIP-8 batteries and the generic Lithium cells to refurbish some Sony LIP-8 rechargeables from them without an issue. Using this 1.2V Lithium polymer cell in your MD Walkman will involve some risk if the technology inside uses circuitry components to lower 3.7V to 1.2V. Keen to see what @Valentin discovers about design and fail safe protection inside this USB C Lithium polymer 1.2V battery.

7. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any failsafe protection inside it as there's just barely enough space to fit the step-down converter. But we'll see.
    You're talking about used NiMH gumsticks or new ones ?

Silverera likes this.
  8. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Dead ones. I don’t think there's a brand I haven't tried new that has worked for longer than a dozen or so recharges. Most no longer charge and others are OK in a cassette Walkman but get immediate "Low Batt" warning and shut down in any MD. I have 3 NiMH ones that will charge and run some MD Walkman models. It's clearly a firmware issue with most MD Walkman where a less than optimal or peak voltage triggers the shut down. The only way to use all my MD's reliabily is with a AA battery pack. Fortunately there are some relatively cheap 3D printed ones available now for most MD Walkman if you do not have the original one for your Walkman

Valentin likes this.
  9. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I bought it to power the Aiwa AM-F65 and related models. It works fine, although I did not perform a thorough test. 4 hours easily, can't say what the max. would be.
    I use the devices primarily with modern IEMs that do not require much in terms of power output. Some I like to drive with an external DAC, FiiO Q1, with other IEMs.

Valentin likes this.
  10. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

OK. Well I will see when mine arrives using an MZ-R55 as a bench test.

11. radiorich

radiorich Active Member

Hello Silver Era yes there stuff I just don't buy from them but here this last year I bought bunch end cutters and other materials that I use up in doing my repairs .
    Sincerely Richard

12. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Yes. I'm waiting for Ali to deliver the USB-C lithium polymer version for NH-14WM batteries. They are sending daily updates but I expect to be waiting a few more weeks yet. Very slow compared to buying the Discman BP-2 Lithium replacement from a UK seller on eBay but all of these lithium compatible batteries are quite expensive. I've had great success with the LIP-8 and LIP-12 generics from Ali for my MZ-R50 and MZ-R30 MD Walkman.

Emiel likes this.