1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New WM-DD center gear prototype is here (EDIT - final version is here)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by mihokm, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Jørn Bonne

Jørn Bonne Member

I would like to know too, Marian :ugotemail:

sickly_b likes this.
  2. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

Small update.

This weekend I was testing gear assembly in two DD walkmans, to prepare exact specification.
    Those of you who were fixing center gear know that sometimes it doesn't "sit" well. Either FF or REW isn't working, or even both. It's because center gear arm position is not correct - gears do not touch each other.
    It is nothing unusual, in SM for DC2, it is even explained how to adjust (bend) center gear arm.
    I need to find average gear thickness, i.e I have to test my gear in more walkmans and then find right value for final production. Even 0.05 mm difference can cause troubles. They must work in majority of walkmans without need to adjust cenetr gear arm!

3. Sgaston

Sgaston New Member

I can send in my WM-D3 for a prototype gear... :)

4. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

After very careful tests, I have final technical drawing.

I made 6 gear prototypes and I tested them in 6 different DD units. I can confirm that my original design dimensions are correct.

I already ordered production (20 samples first). I had to pay little more for mold because I require very low tolerances. It is not easy to make such precision gears using injection molding technology because plastic material shrinks as it cools down. That's why mold cost is so high. I think they have to make several molds to find the best dimensions.

The new gears should be ready in 3-4 weeks.

Cassette2go, BPR, Middachten and 7 others like this.
  5. Orlando Cabrera

Orlando Cabrera New Member

Please keep us posted! I bought an immaculate WM-D3 from a seller on Offer Up that played beautifully for 5 minutes before coming to a stop. All I hear now when I press the transport buttons is that dreaded click-clack sound. Sign me up for gear when they're ready.

6. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Ive just sent Marian my old, trusted (given to me on my 18th in 1987) D3 (known as a TC-D3 here in the UK). Its in a really bad way. If he can get that baby working, I will be over the moon. The last D3 he fixed for me was an e bay find, and had a terrible click click... and now it plays like new (actually better).

7. Pete

Pete New Member

This is great! can't wait to see the final project!!

8. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Yep I can't wait for this too!!! Just got a few DD's and a DC2 and all clickadee click and click :)

9. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

Small update, gear samples and custom M1.4 screws are produced and were shipped to my address using DHL Express. I will let you know if they are OK, soon.
    Marian

Reimar, Jose Ventura, eddhead and 8 others like this.
  10. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

The gears samples and screws are here. I'm very satisfied with result. The dimensions are accurate and teeth are exactly the same as original.
    It was not easy to prepare gear drawing because teeth dimensions are not standard. I had to tweak source code of the gear drawing software.

The only issue that I can see on samples is one faulty tooth. I hope producer can correct it easily. I'm waiting for their answer.

Here are some photos of result (sorry for bad quality of images). center_gear1.JPG center_gear2.JPG broken_tooth.JPG

Silverera, Boodokhan, Reimar and 5 others like this.
  11. bub

bub Active Member

Looking great!

sickly_b likes this.
  12. posiblelopez

posiblelopez New Member

Excelente, muy feliz que se acerque al resultado final. Espero ansioso poder tener el kit de engranajes. Felicitaciones!!!!

13. Middachten

Middachten Member

Great update Marian!
    One step closer to freeing the world from the Sony click-clack disease :)

Weird manufacturing issue though... looks like a glitch in the mould to me.

I can hardly wait to see your final production results.

14. Reimar

Reimar New Member

Hooray! Looks great :) So grateful you put so much effort into this.

15. 16s

16s Member

So close now Marian. I am so excited about this. Thank you for your perseverance!!

sickly_b likes this.
  16. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

Small problem wasn't in mold. There was something wrong during processing. They made another samples and all is OK, now. They sent me photos as proof.
    I'm going to order final production. I'll be on holiday from 31st of July to 14th of August. When I'm back, gears should be here.

I tested them in 3 different walkmans this weekend and they work like new (except slight click caused by defective tooth). I'm really satisfied.

eddhead, Jose Ventura and Reimar like this.
  17. Middachten

Middachten Member

That's great news Marian!

18. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

H
    Hi Marian,
    Any update on this post?. It seems the only alternative is to repair the gear. I have 3 DD's waiting for repair and one fully repaired to date. I would have thought 3D printing would give us all the solution we need in a non shrinking plastic with the precise dimensions assured.
    Anyway we keep on clicking I suppose!
    Cheers
    bd

19. Reimar

Reimar New Member

Hey @Silverera If you carefully read the whole thread, you can see that @mihokm (Marian) solved the problem and found a factory to produce the perfect spare plastic gears. 3D-printing is not an option, I think Marian also mentioned that before. However, as you can read in his latest post, we are now very close to have access to proper spare plastic gears and repair our precious DDs :)

20. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Hi. I know but the latest in the thread is December 2016. Wondering if there's an update.
    Cheers.