1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips D-8444 is in!

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by 325addict, Mar 31, 2024.

1. 325addict

325addict New Member

It's in, my second halfway serious boombox. It has an intermittent issue with the right tweeter, and of course I have to change the gear in the cassette mechanism (on its way already), plus... FM reception is only in MONO. If anybody knowns how to solve that... please tell me.
    I aways thought these didn't have a good sound, but that's only because my other one is totally SHOT. Nothing works well on that one, but... the tweeters are OK, as well as the antenna. This good one that just came in, didn't have its antenna anymore, so I quickly swapped it. Now, reception is wonderful, although only in mono. I swa the stereo-LED flicker once, so the LED works. I can clearly HEAR it's just mono. Cassette seems to work, as the seller confirmed, but I'm not going to test that before the new gear is in.
    For those few Watts (7.2 in total) it has some serious bass and level to offer. Not that loud as my Sanyo M9994, but definitely not bad at all. It was introduced in 1983, the same year as the D-8414 me and my brother got that year.

Mister X and Mystic Traveller like this.
  2. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I would use something like DeOxit in the function selector switch to see if that helps with stereo or the right tweeter or the light. I have a feeling once it's cleaned the unit will work fine.

3. 325addict

325addict New Member

Maybe you are right: as soon as I switch through all the bands a few times, I suddenly get stereo reception. BUT: switch the unit off and back on again, and the stereo reception has gone... then you have to repeat the process. I was able to reproduce this multiple times, so maybe the trigger input of the stereo decoder is held too high. Pin 9 should have below 0.6V to be in "automatic" mode, anything between 0.7 and 2.1V or so FORCES it to mono reception... I will have to open it anyway to replace the gear and to look after the tweeter, so I can measure that in one go.