1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips Matchline TV

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by On The Beach, Sep 26, 2023.

1. On The Beach

On The Beach Active Member

Yes, I know, it’s not audio … but what I am after is audio related.

I had one of these great Philips Matchline TVs. Big CRT , 100Hz, 2 remotes one had side doors, detachable speakers with stands, could punch in the freq directly for the channel tuning. At the time (around 1992) it was a superb unit.

Now the music question. It came with a video cassette showing how to use the TV. On the video they had a singer, she was black and English and sang a song about planes and trains to meet her love. I did have the cassette, so she was a Name artist.

now I am trying to track the music cassette down.

Any one have any idea who she was, any hints? I know it’s a long shot.

Attached Files:

2. On The Beach

One more photo.

Attached Files:

3. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

if you remember the melody, try to play it on a keyboard into shazam…

On The Beach and Mister X like this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

5. On The Beach

holy crap Batman! That’s it. At the 9min53 mark. Oleta Adams , Get Here. . album, Circle Of One
    She’s American, I thought she was from the UK for some reason.
    Now I will find the cassette one day and think … why did I want that, it’s not great at all … nostalgia is why.

I searched a year or so ago for this but didn’t find any videos. It was one great TV, I can see the actual value in things like this compared to new TVs which are basically a screen with a computer inside. It’s the same with cassette players … electronics, design, gears … new digital players .. a screen and smarts ..boring.

Really appreciate it @Mister X .

Last edited: Sep 26, 2023
    Mister X likes this.
  6. On The Beach

One thing I did notice on that video is the remote is different to what I had.
    My remote was a about 6inch square shaped with doors on the side, as well as a smaller card size remote.

Attached Files:

7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

The question is how much was it new ? I have just been looking through some old catalogues and while I can't find any large screen Philips TVs here are some Hitachis from 1990. Unlike some of my catalogue prices that was from retailer people expected to be quite cheap. The 100Hz Philips seems to be more advanced so would have been more expensive. Fifteen years later my then girlfriends mother paid £300 extra to get a 100Hz update rate on a Panasonic 32" LCD TV

1990 Hitach TV.jpg

p.s. Regarding prices I am envious of someone I know who lives in a £500000+ house, paid for by fixing TVs in his garage. He retired shortly after flat screens started to dominate the market.

Mister X and On The Beach like this.
  8. On The Beach

I remember it cost aud$3000 back in 1991 or so. It was a 30inch tv, so bigger than those Hitachi ones.

We went to the UK in ‘95 and everything there was expensive . Exchange rate was near 3. Aud$3 was around 1 pound.

it’s funny how your memory brings things up, I remember how the plastic on the tv felt, and the little bumps on the big remote.

9. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I love some of those first "big" TVs with the speakers mounted on the side. There was that huge push to have matching audio and the stereo TV all on one wall. I definately don't have the room and I think most of these TVs will disappear.

There was a big store in Mall of America, maybe Nordstrom? They had some really cool Sony Trinitron's with side mounted APM speakers up until around ten years ago. I kept joking with them saying I wanted them when they upgraded to LED but it never happened.