1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer SK-909L

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by mrp32Dave, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Cracking job Dave, i used to do these but those days are over mate.

well one of the last boxes i am buying will be arriving soon, those who know me should know what it is

lets just say it's my old one and the best one i had....

Did you do all this work without the service manual Dave??? if so you're very brave haha

2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Wow Dave what a cracking resto, very well done on getting her running again that's impressive.

What's even nicer is anyone coming after you now has a really good idea of how to rebelt etc, pictures are worth a thousands words an all. This is a great service to the community.

Its bloody nice looking to!

3. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

Superb box eye catcher all the way!
    Wish i find one in this lifetime!

4. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for all the kind words :blush:

It wasn't that easy, it took a lot of time and effort, two full days in fact

I did use the service manual and it was a great help, mainly with which screws needed to be removed for disassembly.

Yeah thanks, it turned out really nice and got it fully working.

It is superb box, I never thought I'd own one but I have one now and I'm sure you'll find one too.

5. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Wow those machines are something else!! Did laugh over the speed adjustment though - I take it you read my fun & games with the Maximal 3040? I was able to run it up in pieces luckily - a practice I would not promote with mains potential cm's away from my left hand while adjusting the speed!!
    That Pioneer is nothing short of stunning!!

6. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm very pleased with it, probably one of my best sounding boxes and looks great :biggrin:

The speed adjustment is a real pain, glad I got it right first time, your Maximal looked like a bit of a nightmare glad you got it sorted :bigthumbsup:

7. Patron

Patron Active Member

Wow so nice! Congrats man.

8. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

^^This^^

Great job! and a pat on the back for Reno! I know the feeling of S2Go members coming to my rescue!!!

9. AE_Stereo

AE_Stereo Member

Awesome work.
    Great box.

And a great bike too.

10. deech

deech Well-Known Member

Congratulations Mrp32Dave , this Pioneer is a Holy Grail .
    Well worth the trip with the R6 , well worth restoring and repairing it.
    Well worth the entire effort for making such a beast happy again .
    Congratulations for RR too for the knob .

11. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Awesome stuff, scrubbed up beautifully :)

12. amber_a

amber_a New Member

Congratulations. You did a great job. Everything is done professionally. I also have same model. But I have the problem. Box came without metallic plate under tuner window (You removed it during restoration and placed again). And very low chances to get it now. And I have no idea how to solve this problem.

13. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Excellent job!
    I cannot see the latest images of previous page in my phone, are you seeing them?

14. allan1836

allan1836 New Member

Hi Radio Raheem ! I have a chance to acquire this SK909F . Is it really worth buying and can it compare with the Panasonic eggs in sound qualtiy. Your feedback is much appreciated. :nwink:

15. Radio Raheem

you can't compare 80's with 90's Alan but you will love the 909 bro, it's one of the 80's best....if she is cheap and in good condition go for it my man:thumbsup:

16. allan1836

allan1836 New Member

Nice restoration wow! I recently acquired a not so good condition SK909l and I observe that the FM sound is distorted even when tuned in a station. Also , is it normal for this model that when in using the aux input using a mobile phone or pc as source, the sound is a lot weaker than in FM . I need to max the volume control in the pioneer and in the source to get an acceptable volume. Feedback from SK909 users is much appreciated. @Radio Raheem

17. Radio Raheem

This seems like cap issues Alan i have had plenty with distorted radio, normally sanyo but it's getting much more common now and one reason i don't buy many radios these days...as for line in maybe someone else can chime in as i have never used line in one one of these.....if it is din in they are known to suffer low volume issues and the best i can think of is an fm transmitter but if the fm section has cap issues then this won't help either lad

it goes without saying though servicing all knobs switches with contact cleaner may help buddy

also try boomboxery there are skilled members on there that can help with service manual advice but im not one of them lad...have to be honest though i don't think i have seen anyone resolve the fm issues you speak of....no tape no radio i would just send her back son

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  18. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I use AUX in a lot on my boomers and found that the low volume problem is usually a dirty function selector switch, the one with AUX/Radio/Cassette/Etc on it. A good cleaning will go a long way with any distortion, low volume issues. Old member ARKAY posted this over on Audio Karma on using DeOxit for cleaning.
    https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/
    Use FaderLube for sliding switches, the Caig Website will have more information, these are available at guitar/music shops.

The box also has a MIC mixing knob on the bottom, clean this as well, it will change incoming volume. Most of these knobs are left in one position, the AUX & MIC rarely gets used and the contacts get dirty and won't let a full signal through.

19. allan1836

allan1836 New Member

Thanks sir for the reply. I had it checked with a tech and somewhat the loudness issue on the aux input has improved but sadly the FM distortio has not been solved yet. I notice too that in either fm or aux input there is music distortion at above mid volume specially if there is a lot of bass in the music. I think it's a capacitor issue already.

20. allan1836

allan1836 New Member

Thanks sir for the reply. I had it checked with a tech and somewhat the loudness issue on the aux input has improved but sadly the FM distortion has not been solved yet. I noticed too that in either fm or aux input there is music distortion at above mid volume specially if there is a lot of bass in the music. But if the music is just more on vocals like acoustic tracks the sound is clean. I think it's a capacitor issue already.