1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PMD222 recording issue

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by fossilshark, Apr 7, 2024.

1. fossilshark

fossilshark New Member

Hi all! I recently aquired 2 PMD222 portable cassette recorders and they both have the same exact issue. The playback is flawless and I have been using it for that quite a bit, however they do not record no matter what.

I have done all the standard suggestions for cassette gear, cleaned the heads, checked all the mechanicals, and thoroughly read the user manual as to rule out user error.

When in recording mode the tape spins as it should, however the VU meter does not move at all (VU meter works perfectly for playback) and the peak LED doesnt respond to me yelling into the microphone with the recording level on max. I have tried every single input multiple times and nothing will record. When in recording mode it does delete whats currently on the tape.

Anyone have any experience with this? I can post the service manual if needed. I am trying to avoid tracing out the entire signal chain but I decided to post here as a last resort.

Any advice is appreciated!