1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Cassette Newspaper Ads!

Discussion in 'Brochures, advertising, data & specs...' started by Mister X, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

A few more from 1981, did Tempus have a store front? And what about the Casio Watch with the Space Invaders Game, I'd love to see that model!

Hobby-Electronics-1981-09.png

2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

This is where they were, although the building looks a bit too new too me so is probably a replacement

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2...4!1sQ50SGDPbHSU8mT7_bZD-5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Quite appropriate that it is now a charity shop where you are likely to find discarded 80s gadgets.

Of course with Cambridge being a University town and home of Sinclair and Acorn/Arm it isn't surprising that there was a ready market for gadgets. On Streetview I found a Music Technology shop just up the road. I am not aware that Tempus ever had any other shops and by the mid eighties they stopped advertisng, probably when things like Casio watches became more mainstream in places like Argos.

Regarding the Space Invaders watch, a friend of mine at work (back in the 80s), who thought his overdraft limit was a target to be aimed at, bought one when they came out. He also bought a Casio CT405 keyboard followed by a Roland Juno 6, and a 3 litre Ford Capri. I bought a house years before him though.

Mister X likes this.
  3. Mister X

I think Swatch killed Casio for a few years, they kind of disappeared until the G-Shocks came out but I'd love to see one of those SI Watches. Those Hobby Electronics Magazines are really well written, more basic so guys like me can understand, they only have a few issues but it's fun to browse through them and Tempus was a big advertiser with a lot of Casio Inventory. I was up in the shop rafters, that's where I keep the big keyboards, I'll have to fire some up, they've gotten dusty over the years but they still seem to work.

I should have checked 8 bit/key guy, he did a great review of the VL-1. Oh yea, I like to mention that he briefly said he was DimeBag Darell's Cousin in one of the videos.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    Mystic Traveller likes this.
  4. Mister X

Sony Car Stereo Sale from 1981. I saved a poor Sony CFS-45 from the trash a few years ago, I was surprised to see it on a job site, it's pretty battered but it's hard for me to see them binned....

Forecast-DC-1981-02.png

5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Hobby Electronics was a beginners / hobbyist magazine from the same team as Electronics Today International
    Where an ETI project would typically have dozens of ICs a Hobby electronics project would have three or four/
    I did build a Guitar phaser to one of their simple designs and it worked very well.

In the UK the late 1970s, early 1980s were peak for electronics magazines.
    In about 1980 you had a choice of
    1. ETI (Electronics Today International) - Complex projects but not too serious. They often had pretty girls on the cover demonstrating that months main project
    2. Hobby Electronics - from the same publisher as ETI but aimed at beginners

3. Practical Wireless - which despite the name covered many audio projects.
    4. Practical Electronics - The first time I ever read about microprocessors was in the school libraries copy
    5. Everyday Electronics - from the same publisher as the Practicals but aimed at beginners

6. Radio and Electronics Constructor. - Similar to the Practicals but from a different publisher

7. Electronics and Music Maker - Published by Maplin for a short time, back when you were more likely to build your own synth than buy one ready made.

8. Elektor - The English edition of a Dutch magazine. Aimed at the same level as ETI but more serious

9. Wireless World - Aimed at professional readers with a mathematical analysis of any circuits. When they did projcts they were usually very high end, such as Hi-Fi amplifiers aiming to beat anything commercially available

10. Television - Although aimed at TV repairmen it was popular enough to appear in many Newsagents. I guess there were far more TV repairmen back then.
    Where I worked in the 1980s (an Aerospace site with thousands of employees) there was a Newsagents in the entrance of the canteen who sold most of these magazines. If they didn't have one there were four different newsagents in the shops clustered around the main entrance.

I think the number of Electronics magazines started to drop as computers and computer magazines became more popular.
    I think Hobby Electronics disappeared shortly after the publisher started publishing Computing Today

Nowadays the only ones left are Everyday Practical Electronics, Elektor, and Practical Wireless (which is now aimed at Radio Hams).
    It is rare to see any of them in Newagents.

As a final bonus look at this ETI special.

https://www.americanradiohistory.co...Electronics-Tomorrow-from-ETI-Winter-1977.pdf

I have the original somewhere.
    If you only look at two things the cartoons starting on page 16, and the Hi-Fi predictions on page 28 are worth looking at. I built the ChromaChime doorbell kit advertised on page 24. the first Microprocessor in my parents house.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Mister X likes this.
  6. Mister X

As a young boy, we'd walk a couple miles to the local hobby store which had everything, RC, Corgi's, Tyco Trains, models, etc. We'd spend an hour or so looking at everything and then head next door to the electronics store, basically a Radio Shack on steroids, it had everything you needed to build electronics. We'd check out the lights, switches and kits to build boards, but we were a little too young to do any soldering. Unfortuntately the store closed in the early 80's and I never got to build a cool project. I did have a couple friends that did build interesting stuff, one had a book of spy equipment, I think he actually put ads in the back of national magazines selling it. The other used to crank out guitar distortion boxes, I still have the one he gave me and with a little DeOxit and solder it still works great.

We didn't have a lot of electronic magazines but we had access to the local library and two colleges close by, we used to spend a lot of time looking at books, I think I was like most tech people, I started focusing more on computers and programming than building anything.

Longman likes this.
  7. Mister X

I found a treasure trove in the Arab News, this is from 1981 the Toshiba BomBeat 12. Sorry, the scan quality from the newspaper isn't that great.

Arab News , 1981, Saudi Arabia, English.png

8. Mister X

Philips from 1982

Arab News , 1982, Saudi Arabia, English 2.png

9. Mister X

Hitachi TRK-W1W from 1982, this was on the masthead for several issues, it looks like Hitachi had product placement there for quite awhile.

Hitachi TRK-W1W Arab News , 1982, Saudi Arabia, English.png

10. Mister X

Hitachi Boomboxes from 1982

Hitachi Arab News , 1982, Saudi Arabia, English.png

11. Mister X

More Philips Boomboxes from 1982

Philips 2Arab News , 1982, Saudi Arabia, English.png

12. Mister X

One of my personal favorite minis, the Pioneer ultra-mini SK-Q10 from 1982, these are really beautiful models with luscious colors

Pioneer Arab News , 1982, Saudi Arabia, English.png

13. Mister X

Sanyo Mini Slim Boomboxes from 1982

Sanyo Arab News , 1982, Saudi Arabia, English.png

14. Mister X

Sharp GF-777 Z/H from 1981, what a beauty!

Sharp GF-777 Z H 1981.png

15. Mister X

Sony Walkmans from 1982

Sony 1982, Saudi Arabia, English.png

16. Mister X

A very rare Technics Boombox Ad from 1982, all of the heavy hitters are here.

Technics Arab News , 1982, Saudi Arabia, English.png

17. Mister X

Toshiba Boomboxes from 1982

Toshiba 2 Arab News , 1982, Saudi Arabia, English.png

18. Mister X

Toshiba KT-S1 from 1982

Toshiba Arab News , 1982, Saudi Arabia, English.png

19. Mister X

Hitachi TRK-9900W from 1982, this was also on the masthead