1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Re-Discovered WM-DC2

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by TooCooL4, Jan 31, 2017.

1. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

New the WM-DC2 £160 and the WM-DD9 £200.

Todays prices is whatever people are willing to pay. Personally i would not pay more then £100 for a DC2 and not more than £150 for a DD9, because you still have to get them serviced and working properly and that is not cheap.

2. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

I wish I could get a DC2 for that, but the DD series walkmans seem to be some what less common is Australia than everywhere else, so it's hard to get them at flea markets and swap meets (they're mostly full of cheapo players), not even sure they sold DD walkmans in Australia when the rest of the world got them.

3. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Yes, much less. Around 30-50% of it

4. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

TooCool, walkman archive, are you guys able upload DC2 and DD9 samples for comparison? I noticed in walkman archive's video of the DC2 vs a CD, the CD did have higher tones.

5. TooCooL4

Hi PJ0688 I don’t have any samples to send you. Using YouTube is not a good way to compare sounds as YouTube compresses the files.

Yes the CD will go higher than the DC2, a CD has a range of 20Hz – 20kHz and the DC2 is spec’d 20Hz – 15kHz. Also the DD9 is rated 20Hz – 20kHz so both the CD and DD9 are capable of higher response than the DC2 and even the D6C, but spec’s is not the whole story. When you listen to the DC2 / D6C they are just done more with what they have which translate to better overall sound and gravitas.

It’s hard to explain, you just need to listen to them to hear what I mean.

6. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

I don't know, I think the 15,000hz limit could be an issue if I'm using dolby, as that can cut down the frequencies further.

7. TooCooL4

I don't use Dolby, don't really like it. Even if you use Dolby, i still prefer the DC2 / D6C over the DD9.
    There is not as much information in the range 18kHz and above as people think, still you need to try it for yourself.

Ken Duc likes this.
  8. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

yes.
    obviously we are not comparing a mint boxed DC2 to completely broken, corroded DD9. But overall DD9 is more expensive than DC2

9. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Yes but once Dolby C goes on, wouldn't it give you something like 15khz, not 18. I prefer NR myself because less hiss makes the music sound more like the source to me. So I guess from that perspective the DD9 would be better for me personally, but you're right I need to listen to both, hopefully I can get both one day and sell my least favourite (no room in my collection for walkmans I don't like or have little interest in).

On ebay DC2 seems to be about the same price, unless it's broken or in need of repair, I guess that means the DD9 is better value.

10. TooCooL4

No it does not work like that, Dolby is not meant to reduce the range it just filters out most of the hiss so whatever range is in the music should still be there after Dolby is applied.

Besides make a good recording on a metal tape, once the music is going the hiss is masked by the music you will really only notice the hiss in quiet parts.

11. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Oh, I thought it reduced dynamic range, what's the tradeoff for using it, why don't people like using it?

12. TooCooL4

I don't like it as it's more electronics in the way also for me the high end is muted and not as sparkly as i like.

How Dolby NR works

13. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Ah, but I assume a head with a higher frequency would compensate. On another note how much battery life can you get out of a DC2 and how does it sound compared to a DD30 or DD33?

14. TooCooL4

I use my DC2 everyday for my commute to and from work, so the DC2 get's used for just under 3 hours a day and i usually get a working week plus 2 days. 7 x 3 = 21 hours using Panasonic Eneloop

I don't know what the DD30 sounds like as i have never had one, but it sounds a lot better than a DD33.

15. walkman archive

I'll try to upload some in the weekend when I'll have some free time...

PJ0688 likes this.
  16. walkman archive

I know what you mean, Toocool. the D6C and the DC2 (I think the D6C more) have a 'fullier' sound. It's a sound that seems filled up with more "body". And the bass sounds with more body too, yet no emphasized (like Megabass does). It's hard to explain, but you get it when you hear an excellent recording on them, using high quality headphones.

Dolby doesn't cut any frequency. What Dolby does is emphasize the highs in the recording, (thus the recorded tape sounds bright) to play it with the opposite EQ curve (so it sounds equal to the original). That is theory. What mostly happen is that, due to misalignment of Dolby recorded levels between the recorder and the player (when they are not the same), usually ends up with highs cut down.

Would this be true or not, it mostly depends on your age. Above 35 you probably won't hear anything above 15 kHz, so you shouldn't worry about those frequencies...
    Try it: https://www.echalk.co.uk/Science/biology/hearing/HowOldIsYourHearing/resource.html

(I'm happy that I still can hear until 15 kHz at my age of 45, he he:yesss: :smoke

PJ0688 likes this.
  17. TooCooL4

Yes that is what i mean, the DD9 just does not have that something special about the sound it produces.

18. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Would you say the DD9 sounds like a CD player where as the DC2 sounds more like vinyl?

19. TooCooL4

Not sure i can say that, the DD9 is just not full bodied. CD's are full bodied.

20. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Out of curiosity where do you guys normally get DC2s from? All the ebay units I've found seem to be in need of repair.