1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

shellack mixtape...

Discussion in 'Cassettes & Mixtape exchange' started by autoreverser, Jun 2, 2017.

1. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

...to make it easier all tapes will be C60

2. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

WoW..... Super Nice collection....

3. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

That were the days indeed.... Adrenaline pure... Passion for the music!!!!

4. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

I have terabytes of the stuff in flak but it would take months to upload it here and i wouldn't know where to start, nice to see music being shared guys

5. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Its been a while since i got a mixtape, i cant wait!

6. autoreverser

...yours is ready - 78rpm-records only, quite country-loaded but not only ;-)

IMG_3350.JPG

7. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I have a few sealed XLII-S 90min cassettes for an exchange.
    Piaf, Yma Sumak, Caruso sound real nice to me! No need to fill whole cassette, just a few songs to get a "feel" of shellac. No dolby for me ;-)
    My LP collection is mostly classical, but I am a huge fan of Berlin School of electronic music, myguess I have them all, some even on vinyl. Vinyl for PF, Dead Can Dance, Gong, VDGG, Oldfield, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, ECM jazz (love Eberhard Weber on vinyl!)..., but standing next to 1000+ collection of yours its gonna be tough to pick something

8. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

holy god! +3000 discs! :swoon
    I do have almost the entire collection from AC/DC, most USA or even Australian original editions that I bought 2nd hand, mint.

I'd like to have one of those shellac mixtapes if you want in exchange a good mixtape of blues/pop/soul from the 80s (all vinyl too).

9. walkman archive

Nice image. I'm sure those Grado SR125 pair well with their bright sound and the shellac discs.

10. autoreverser

Hugo, you're in, too - T-Ster's tape is ready, Jorge's in work, just need some time to create decent covers.
    Do you prefer a style, or are you open for surprise (...I quite often get carried away recording ) ?

...and yes, those Grado's are great "low budget - high end - headphones"

11. walkman archive

Great!
    I'm third in queue :nodding:.
    As I haven't any shellac disc I can't tell, but I like Eric clapton, blues in general, Nat king cole, Frank sinatra, Aretha... I guess you get the idea.
    So I'm open to anything like that :bigthumbsup:

12. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Woooo out of bed late this morning and my wife says i have a package waiting :D

It's my first mixtape received in many years and i was pretty excited. I have it on as we speak:
    20170615_175719_resized.jpg 20170615_175724_resized.jpg

What a great moment firing it up. I have to say for shellack i was expecting a certain sound quality, lots of pops and crackles but it sounds fantastic, like really really amazing. It has warth and real depth with no harshness to the treble end at all. I am only on side one which has been mostly country but i am eager to hear side two as well.

Thanks Auto this made by day, no my week. :bigthumbsup:

13. autoreverser

hahaaa !

well, as you can hear: with the right reproduction those schellac's are great - and i record direct, no dehisser/denoiser, no dolby - i wonder if you can guess wich one is my personal favourite :nodding:

just plain enjoy, matey !

b.t.w., hugo, your's got finished last night, will post it on monday

14. walkman archive

Veeery nice mixtape and j-card! :applause

15. autoreverser

...yours is on the way as well :wink2

16. walkman archive

Now, when I was almost writing my last message, the postman ariived and gave me a new package that this time it came from Germany from my friend autoreverser:

IMG_8247.JPG

Thanks man! I'll put it in my Walkman to take a listen on the street, As I have to go out now.
    I'll use my DD30 with the new leather case, BTW :wink2

IMG_8235.JPG

17. autoreverser

18. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

It turns out, my present from autoreverser was here since yesterday! While I was working two shifts, The Boss got so tired doing nothing that she did not check the mail.
    It is playing thru my big-rig stereo right now, sounds amazing!!! The immediacy of a shellac is truly magical, as if I switched to Lowther speakers.

mixtape.JPG

Its time to hit Discogs for some Yma Sumak LPs: CD that I have is not even close to what I am hearing now. Awesome present! Thank You man!!!
    :yahoo

19. autoreverser

yay, matey, glad you like it ;-)

great to hear somebody else got fully into one of the best female singers EVER (4 and a half octaves is a word !) - Yma Sumac - and if i can recommend you a record please get this one:

https://www.discogs.com/de/Yma-Sumac-Legend-Of-The-Jivaro/master/60475

there's a re-issue on vinyl available, please do NOT buy the cd, as beeing digitally remastered they did cut off most of her vibe !

matey, there's much more shellacs here - i'm having a Gin- supported BeBop- session as i write this (...some great Dave Brubeck shellacs came in today...)

cheers,
    conrad

20. walkman archive

Autoreverser, I've listened to the tape and I can say I've enjoyed it SO much. I love it!
    While I was listening I almost could view the scene of a 40-50s movie with that music. It was like a little travel back in time.
    Some of the records were very clean and although others had not such clean sound, I didn't bother for the scratches or noises.
    I'll listen for second time this week more carefully at home with my Senns 540 (open headphones) and a good deck, so I think I'll hear more hidden details that I couldn't detect in the street, even with closed -isolated- headphones.

I recognized Nat king cole and frank sinatra? but most of the songs were new to me.

BTW: After some research I knew what is shellac, that with translator and wikipedia is not very clear to me (in spanish). I think it's what we call 'baquelita', which is a precursor of plastic and sucessor of the 'pizarra', a type of stone used for very old records for gramophone.