1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show us your Micro Cassette players

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by A O, Mar 6, 2018.

1. A O

A O Active Member

An often overlooked format was the dear old MicroCassette. OK, the play length had it's limitations but they did make some superb players around it and the sound-quality could be as good as any cassette. Not that sound quality really entered the argument.

i particularly loved the way Aiwa, Sanyo and Sony attempted to market their stereo players with a lifestyle approach.

So, who's got something interesting...

Here are some of my favourites walkman-based units from the AO vault. But I know there's some great boombox format units out there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I cannot see the pictures

3. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

AO - the AIWA HS-M2 is a killer !
    as far as i know you should have a minicassete MINERVA boombox somewhere - show it !

:groupwave

nickeccles likes this.
  4. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

It looks like Marantz UNIX had a model in the line-up, the UNIX-2, at close to $430.00 USD in the early 80s. Extremely rare, maybe JDM only?

20130214_103624_994e6cb4a49def1a0c4960b066a58e44.jpg

5. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

Been away from the forum for some time mainly due to some serious health problems which severely affected my day to day life, I'm a lot better now though. Been browsing the forum lately and really wanted to start participating again but was finding it hard to make that step, but saw this post (thanks Cris) I'm a big fan of stereo microcassette devices and have a lot of very nice examples so just minutes ago dug a few out, I have more. Oh can I just hello to everyone old and new.
    So here the are:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

6. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Great topic, i'm quite fond of these to and it seems Dave has the motherload!

Good to see you back Dave, was wondering where you had got to.

nickeccles likes this.
  7. A O

A O Active Member

mrp32Dave - You wouldn't believe me if I told you but I was hoping you'd see this as I know these things are very much your bag. Sorry to hear about your illness and I genuinely hope it's all behind you now. My story this year has been pretty similar.

I had forgot all about that JVC and what a great complete set you have. A true rarity. The Sony M-80 is a truly interesting piece, it's one of the few that isn't based around an exisiting mono dictating machine/memo format. Also I wasn't aware that Olympus had made a stereo unit, these look truly great.

A great reply, exactly what I was fishing for and a big welcome back from us. Genuinley hope you stick around. I'm seriously thinking about it myself.

Mister X - You're on a real Unix buzz right now and I love it. That Marantz mini is the nicest and clearly the rarest mini ever and it's been on my wish list for as long as I can remember.

Autoreverser - Shhhhh, I'm saving the best till last

8. A O

A O Active Member

Boodookhan - Is this still the case? It appears that everyone else can so it might be your PC. Clear cache/hisotry etc?

9. A O

A O Active Member

Regarding the Aiwa HS-M2. This is one I nearly bought from a fellow member a few years back. Despite thinking the price was wrong at the time I kind of regret not buying it.

[​IMG]

Jorge and nickeccles like this.
  10. Mister X

mrp32Dave, that's a world class collection, I can't imagine how long it would take to even put that together today, I've got two or three units but they are impossible to find. I've got a late 70's Sony Mono, all metal, unbelievably build quality, I don't consider it a Walkman but it's just sooo nice.

11. A O

A O Active Member

I hope you're thinking of the BM-550. It was only a mono but it was a marvel for the period and of a quality you would expect from Sony. These are very rare. I was lucky enough to have a play with Tim Jarman's immaculate model (WalkmanCentral) and it weighed a ton despite being tiny. Just solid Sony steel.

[​IMG]

12. A O

A O Active Member

Olympus actually made some very interesting units...

[​IMG]

This one has a removable radio/speaker unit...

[​IMG]

And of course the glorious Zuiko

[​IMG]

13. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

@mrp32Dave You got the best collection of microcassette players. Thanks for sharing these pictures.
    @A O Somehow i cannot see your pictures and i think it is related to the computer at work place. I will read this topic at home to see you pictures since i know you always collect quality equipment.

14. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Glad to see you back Dave - very impressive, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

15. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Rare and classy! :)

16. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

WOW !

mrp32Dave, glad you found your time to come back - i'm stunned about your minis !!!

17. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Love the micro cassette stereo models - Remember quite a few of those shown here in shops & catalogues - For a youngster like me at the time, these were dream items that I would never own - & I still don't!! :(
    Especially remember the Olympus pearlcorders but I never saw a stereo model from them despite them being pretty costly!

Funny how we all like different things here be it big boomers, walkmans & micro cassette machines - When I did get to try a so called hi-fi micro deck component separate I wasn't mad on the speed stability wow & flutter etc, but that didn't stop me loving the format even today! good to see dave back in here too :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mister X and stereomecha99 like this.
  18. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I am speechless, what a collection!!!

One question: how do you record onto micro-cassettes? Do they have line-in or you should have something like a microcassette deck? How much music can you put on one such micro-cassette? Oops... that's two questions! :)

19. Mister X

I think that was the dilemma Jorge, you had to come up with a new "eco-system" for the smaller format and the little players were already priced at a premium.

Here's my little mono Sony M101B circa 1977, all metal. A favorite of students just trying to get through an afternoon physics class, this listed new at $229.00. The photo is from a listing.

sony1.jpg

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  20. Mister X

I think my love of the format started with seeing Clockwork Orange at our local college campus theatre in the early 80's. It's amazing now that there are a ton of threads on every audio forum wanting to know what kind of player Alex had.

438ef437788aa42b34fa78567710593f.jpg
    Cassette%20Deck%201b.jpg