1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Walkman WM-DC2 shuts down after 10s of playback.

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Jumi Pöppönen, Sep 29, 2026 at 10:00 AM.

Tags:
  1. Jumi Pöppönen

    Jumi Pöppönen New Member

    Messages:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    3
    Location:
    Finland
    Hello!

    I recently acquired a DC2 for a decent price. It had an original problem of continuous playback when batteries were installed. I did some measuring and the IC CX20084 was the obvious culprit and after changing it from my working DD3 the continuous playback problem was solved but I was faced with another problem; the playback / ff / rew now works but only for around 10 seconds and then it shuts down. The mechanical auto stop doesn't go off, only the motor stops and power led goes dim.

    The issue is probably not mechanical as the motor draws around 96mA of current when playing without a cassette? Everything is cleaned thoroughly and lubricated, I have a new center gear and capstan ring installed. I've measured the FG coil and it's 730 Ω

    I've tried removing the R616 resistor, after that the playback continues normally. That kinda solves the problem but I would like to get to the bottom of the issue as the motor voltage is around 2.8V~ which is way too high.

    I'm at a loss at what should I check next.

    I've been measuring the voltages from the CX20084
    Pin 7 is 2.8~3V when I hit play, then it goes to 0 when it shuts down.
    When playing:
    Pin 10: 0.8V
    Pin 11 1.1V
    Pin 12 is 0.85V

    I've also tried de-soldering the PLL bridge but to no avail.

    Any help would be highly appreciated.
     

Share This Page