1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony WM-D6 / WM-D6C DC-DC Converter alternative

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Chang Song, Mar 15, 2024.

1. Chang Song

Chang Song New Member

I had this crazy idea 4 years ago when I first attempted to fix my WM-D6, but only last week I was able to get it done by jumping through multiple hoops including repairing CP602 hybrid module, and removing CP301 module (this is a bit longer story but will not discuss here). I want to thank Deb64 from this forum -- I got a lot of help from the post on CP602 repair.

Summary: Very cheap MT3068 DC-DC converter can save you $$ and also make the WM-D6/D6C even better than original

Details:
    MT-3068 dc-dc converters are easy to buy from Amazon or eBay - and they often sell in bulk. (I just searched on Amazon and it's being sold at $5 for 3 units)

The specification:
    • Input voltage: 2-24V.
    • Output Voltage: 5-28V .(Continuously adjustable)
    • Output Current: 2A.
    • Efficiency: 93%
    From my test, once you set the output voltage using the on-the-circuit potentiometer, it holds that output voltage for wide range of input voltage. So when battery drains, or when adapter source is 5V portable backup battery, the high voltage rail can run on set voltage (in my case 11v)

The test also proved original configuration of capacitors actually help reducing white noise.
    • 220 µF 10V for input rail
    • 100 µF 25V for output rail
    The circuit board is rather long to fit in the compartment within WM-D6 that was reserved for DC-DC converter. So I had to cut the input / output pods and use the component legs as post and it worked just fine.

After testing and compacting the unit with capacitors, I used electric tape to shield inside, then copper shield tape for EMF shielding, then again electric tape to prevent the copper surface won't short any other electric parts accidentally. With all that it was able to fit inside (with rooms to spare!)

Below are the pictures I took in the process of testing and building the package. And final application (5V high capacity lithium battery for phone charging used as a power source).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    Hyperscope likes this.
  2. walkmandude

walkmandude New Member

Thanks for the info! I will save this for "just in case" the DC-DC bites the dust in my D6.

Chang Song likes this.