1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The missing link

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by samovar, May 27, 2017.

1. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Great thread sal as usual....no missing links for me, my last was the crown 970 which i had cheap, ohh there is one for me, the sony mdr R10 headphones but at the price they now commend i guess it Really is just a dream for me, cheers everyone

2. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

Good to read from you Reno! Your missing link is incredibly rare and expensive. I read that only 2,000 specimen of the Sony MDR-R10 headphones were ever marketed, each at the modest sum of $2,500! :eek: Finding one at an affordable price is the Matterhorn of vintage electronic hunters, but never say never again! More modestly, I content myself with a pair of Pioneer SS-450 I found at the fleamarket last year. Just honest solid old vintage stuff in excellent conditions... :)

3. Radio Raheem

I make do with the sony mdr cd 3000 Sal the baby brother of the R10 which i have boxed buddy, i am happy to wait for the R10 at an affordable price since i have everything boombox ralated i need, id like a conion c100 and a 777 but they are not missing links for me been there done that,, it kinda gets disapointing when you have everything you want or need lad

but thanks for you're great thread my friend, keep on trucking ehh:wink:

nickeccles, Brutus442 and samovar like this.
  4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@samovar it came out a bit too serious, sorry! What I meant was, you got some good vibes here! I wish there was a link to the olden S2G of yore for the uninitiated...
    Great forum, real refreshing and real fun alternative to my usual Audiogon/Naim/Linn "hiding places"!

Brutus442 and samovar like this.
  5. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

A missing link of mine at this point is probably JVC RC-M70.. :)

nickeccles and Brutus442 like this.
  6. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

The good news Mystic Traveller is there seems to be plenty on Ebay lately..which hopefully will help drop the price. These boxes are among the must-haves of any collection.

7. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Yep, I know, mate. :)

Brutus442 likes this.
  8. Radio Raheem

Alex you're suposed to buy the m70 first and then move onto better boxes....not last and be disapointed lol:wink2

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Mystic Traveller and Brutus442 like this.
  9. Brutus442

I've been warned about the Sony CFS 99's sound and thought to myself...who cares..I want it. It's pure sex appeal I think Reno. Maybe Alex has the same "lust" for the M70?:humping:

10. Radio Raheem

yes geoff although the m70 aint my cup of tea it's the prices of them i object to the most, years ago they went for around £50 and that would be fine imho, but far be it for me to say alex shouldn't get one if it's his grail box....as for the sony you're after my friend you're better off with an m70 lol:wink2:wavey:i mean i had the m90 on today geoff and you know how much i love em but i had something on and it sounded shit, not everything sounds great on the m90, so with this in mind i just fail to see why people will pay fortunes for the m70 my friend:wink2

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Brutus442 likes this.
  11. samovar

Geoff is right, the missing link can be irrational (the C-99 is irresistible too)! Hence: who is desperately looking for a modest, unheralded unit? A weird walkman? A fugly box, even? :)

I know it seems unlikely, but I believe that nobody can seriously rule the possibility out. For instance, once I was ready to bargain my M70 (yo Reno!) for a Sanyo M 9500... :eek: ;)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Brutus442 and Radio Raheem like this.
  12. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I guess for many of us the missing link is something that we, or someone we knew, had when we were young.
    On the old forum I told the story of my Amerex AC107 cassette recorder. I sold it in about 1981 because it was rubbish compared to the Sony I replaced it with. A few years ago I decided to see if I could find one on Ebay and after at least three years finally got one. I know Nick also bought a brand new Waltham like his first Cassette Recorder.
    Amerex AC107.JPG

I'm trying to think what my missing link would be now. A Red Philips 303 UFO record player would be nice as my late Mother had one from new in the 1970s.

https://www.retrotogo.com/2012/02/e...philips-303-ufo-portable-record-player-2.html

However, like many of the other items mentioned here prices for the Philips are sky high after it became a "Design Icon". It would be interesting to compare the price today relative to wages / house prices etc to when it was new; it would probably be several £ hundreds. I do actually have a blue one which needs fixing when I get the famous "Round Tuit" (a joke award Radio 1 used to give out for those outside the UK). Maybe a Sharp VZ instead.

13. Brutus442

14. Radio Raheem

actually you're quite right sal, i have a personal grail which i paid a small fortune for, the panasonic FD 80 but it sounds so mickey mouse i just don't use her:nonoplease

nickeccles and samovar like this.
  15. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I saw that as well and started this thread with a direct link to the Aldi site:

http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/threads/nostalgic-feel-of-the-90s.1214/

I found quite a discussion about the Aldi box and the cassette and vinyl revival here:

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/general-chat/184895-aldi-do-stereo-cassette-player.html

The very last post about Hancock on page 3 is probably the best.
    For some people "The missing link" is just something to play their old cassettes on.

Later in the day I saw this post from another member:

http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/threads/green-day-boombox.1215/

I wonder if the boxes are made in the same factory ?

Now if only they would produce something a bit more upmarket.
    I also follow the Shortwave radio reviews having bought quite a few.
    That market used to be dominated by Sony and Panasonic, but as they have pulled out
    Chinese companys like Degen have stepped in and now make some quite impressive radios.

Brutus442 likes this.
  16. A O

A O Active Member

A true missing link, I mean a missing link in the true meaning of the owrds would be the prototype Sony Pressman than bridged the gap between mono reporters recorder and the Sony TPS-L2 (1st walkman). This has to exist and I believe I'm hot on it's trail.

However, the one radio that has successfully evaded me over the years is the glorious Toshiba RT-2800.

17. samovar

@Longman I have been waiting for somebody to mention the missing link to our boyhood, so to speak. Yours is an example of the time travel experienced by the internaut with a back to the future mission :)

@Brutus442 Coincidence? Serendipity? Both? The retrobox at the link you provide is the cut-and-paste version of one produced by Auna some time ago. Both are shaped after the Sanyo MS-350K: not only a lovely Sanyo microminiboombox, but also one I am presently restoring ;)

@A O I love your Darwinian interpretation of this thread. The Sony Pressman is indeed what connects the age of the portable recorder to that of the walkman. It's a wonderful unit, with lovely round VUs that make it even more desirable (And yes, your private missing unit is indeed glorious!) :cool:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
    Brutus442 likes this.
  18. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Reading this I just remembered that I need to get the outer woofers of my Aiwa cs-880 over to the speaker shop here in Dallas TX so I can have them repaired. Yaay.

19. Radio Raheem

Do it you're self James, it's quite easy honestly, unless the shop charges a fair price my man:wink2 i mean im going blind and i can still do it, just practice on some shiat speakers first lad:thumbsup:

Brutus442 and Cassette2go like this.
  20. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

From 4 to 6.5 inch speakers they charge about 20.00 to 25.00 usd per speaker to put new surrounds. Now I would do this myself but I need dedicated space for these and I do Not have that here living with my Mother, I just have my table and the sunporch to work in. Since I only have these original speakers and I don't wish to make a mistake repairing them I don't mind letting somebody else repair this as it is their profession. Yes I know the parts are cheap like 3.00 to 5.00 for surrounds an such. I already have too many things to repair and everybody world-wide asking me questions :) I do not know what you consider a fair price to be, I just like looking at the re-Newed speaker and being able to play the singular box for the first time - now new to my ears - So I can now have a idea as to what ( some boombox ) sounds like versus other's of a similar size and power an features an such. I will then make video's of these and sell them back to the world but having the video as a archive = you understand.

Radio Raheem likes this.