1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Triple-Take" It On The Run, Baby...!

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by nickelindimer, Aug 24, 2017.

1. nickelindimer

nickelindimer Active Member

Entering my teens during the Breakdancing era, a portable stereo (A.k.a.:"boom-box", "Ghetto-Blaster") was the thing to have... so for my 14th birthday, after careful consideration of my desires and needs--a turntable a must(!) for my record collection--I got the last Panasonic SGJ-500 in stock at my local Carson's, for $150.00.

Despite the general dishevelment it suffered at the hands of others, and performance issues that later arose, I've kept it to this day and found not only another, but learned of and obtained a few "higher-end" models from the same series... There's even JVC models that share the design!

I doubt I could ever be happy with having anything but a "triple-take" (Panasonic's name for them) as my portable, because the best part is taking into a used record store, and flooring all the Crosley-lugging Hipsters that catch sight of it... to whom I say "It's better to rock the 'box, than be stuck handling some 'case'.":cool:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    dlt and Mystic Traveller like this.
  2. davebush

davebush Active Member

pictures would be nice....great story too

3. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

:nodding::wink2

4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

You mean like the one in the bottom right ?

IMG_6013.JPG

My Father bought one

There were very few Boomboxes made with record decks which is a shame as I would quite like one.

The ones that I can think of are:
    • That Panasonic (which came in black or red) and seems to have a few different numbers with minor trim differences,
    • A different Panasonic with a similar deck but the speakers at the side the SGJ800
    • The two JVCs you mention DC7 and DC33
    • The Sharp VZ2000 and VZ2500 with their fancy, vertical, play both sides turntable and the Japanese equivalent
    • An Amstrad with a fold down deck
    Can anyone else think of any others ?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  5. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Sanyo made one to, I have pictures of mine I can post when home

6. Longman

Interesting.

I know Sanyo made lots of Suitcase type stereo systems but I wouldn't classify them as Boomboxes as you have to set them up like a Music Centre even to just listen to the radio.

There is also a very early Panasonic radio with a fold down turntable in the back, but that doesn't have a cassette so again isn't really a Boombox.

I'm surprised that I have never seen a Philips one as they made lots of portable record players and lots of Boomboxes.
    They are possibly from different eras though as most of the Record Players are 1970s, with styling and colours to match.

7. T-ster

Yeah this one is is proper boombox, standard 3 piece layout

8. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Cool story :)

9. nickelindimer

That's the baby! Although, seeing Curry's asking price for it... and being corrected by my mother when mentioning it lately ($100.00 > $150.00)... I feel as though Carson's ripped us off on what was a "demo" unit. I'm sure that if there was a Curry's near us--much like if there were a Kroger's or Taco John's--we would've gotten it there instead, or at least tried to get Carson's to match the price. That is, if I ever heard of Curry's at the time.:swoon

10. nickelindimer

Wait... That's the SGJ-555! A "step-up" from the base-model SGJ-500. The only key difference--that I can recall--was the addition of the Ambience function, where as the 500 had a Loudness function, which merely increased the midrange amplification... Something the made a "night-&-day" difference in the listening enjoyment.

11. nickelindimer

Hmmm--others, others...:hmmm
    Yeah:idea:--there's one!...

When my brother was shopping for a small T.V.-set--so as to move his Commodore-64 into his bedroom--we went to a small, independent shop near Midway (IIRC) that had a huge unit with dual-vertical turntables on the wall. It's hard for me to forget, as it sat above a familiar Zenith floor-console model that included the legendary--if not dubious--Space Phone function.

As for the Triple-Takes with speakers at their sides, that sounds exactly like both of the higher-end models I have:

The SG-J600L: with dual-cassette, auxiliary inputs, 3-band equalizer and fold-out/detachable speakers.

The SGJ-800: with 5-band EQ, tape-counter, plus Type-IV (Metal) tape recording and Dolby noise-reduction functions.

I think the 600L was made later, as it not only includes dual cassette-decks with automatic series-playback, but the turntable slide-out/release button design is notably different.

I wish I had access to my laptop or PC-stick right now, as I would love to share pics & vids with y'all... Especially the magazine and television ads that featured the 800.

Plus: I've got a link to a supplier that carries an improved replacement for the EPS 41ST (Sapphire) stylus, which produces better highs.
    I'll be back with it all--when I can.:headphones:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  12. Longman

If you haven't realised Currys is a U.K. company and the price is in Pounds Sterling £.
    Currys is the only big retailer of that type left here. Best Buy tried to set up here and lasted about two years until
    People realised they weren't the Best Buy.

In1983 the exchange rate was about $1.5 to £1 and my Father paid about £100 so $150 sounds about right.

We will all be interested to see some photos when you are able to take them. It sounds as if you have more Panasonic Triple Plays than most people knew existed

13. nickelindimer

Would this do for you?:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-SG-J500-/253109043761?hash=item3aee798231:g:AXQAAOSwdjNZDD~z

It's a copy of the first model I got... Lacks the Ambiance function, but still sounds good--for what it is.

Here's a few pics of my first for everyone:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you look carefully, you can see the two holes for the Transport Screws... which are inserted to hold the turntable while traveling:
    [​IMG]
    Open WIDE...!:
    [​IMG]
    Not much for EQ... but it did the job:
    [​IMG]
    Needles make me [somewhat] uncomfortable... but not as much as this one--from what I've read bout it!:
    [​IMG]
    One of the things I love about it: separate, easy-access storage for the cord & 45-adapter:
    [​IMG]
    One of the things that also sold me on it was the adjustable voltage:
    [​IMG]
    ...and that it uses Type "D" batteries:
    [​IMG]
    And yes! ...it'll play 12" formats as well!:
    [​IMG]
    Not allot of power to it... but from what you've seen thus-far, it ROCKS PLENTY!:
    [​IMG]

Oh!I also have a link to that stylus I mentioned... plus more for other model turntables:

https://www.lpgear.com/product/PAS041ST.html

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    dlt likes this.
  14. nickelindimer

Funny I should read this now... And yes--I noticed that when I took a second look at it. Sorry about that, old-boy!:hi

I too have seen several electronics & appliance outlets come & go over the years... Silo, Highland and Circuit City are among the names that once held locations around my neighborhood.

Hey! Check my latest post... They may not be pics snapped by my hand, or of my unit, but they do show the high-points of the 500 quite-well. I'll be back soon with more of the others. :old:

15. nickelindimer

Checkout this one from Akai... Don't see ones with selectable phono-input & ground-connection for magnetic-cartridge turntables too-often:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Longman

I have the slightly larger Akai PJ35.

The Panasonic SGJ 500 and variants seem to be by far the most common of the Panasonics.
    I was aware of the SGJ 800 but didn't even know the SGJ 600 existed. That seems to be a very rare box,
    with an interesting case format.

17. nickelindimer

True, it is quite a sight to behold... but when I see the JVC DC's, with their linear-tracking tonearm, I'm in envy.:yousuck:

Hey, speaking of things to see: Does any here have a GF-777 of GF-999? I first spotted one in the video for "AEIOU" by Ebn Ozn, and was floored by the quad-speaker arrangement. The closest I ever came to seeing one here was a cheezy, "tin rickshaw" job sold at a low-end imported goods storefront.

18. Longman

19. T-ster

They are pretty bad ass, heres mine:
    20161002_164315.jpg

20. nickelindimer

Yeah, that is a sweet Triple-7... It's tale reminds me of the shape my original Triple-Take is in: Good for parts--but not much else. Which is a good thing, since it's replacement has a minor issue or two (tab on slider rheostat for tone-control broken-off) so when the time [and money] comes, I'll turn to a local shop that just serviced my Yamaha K-960. (Some things are just beyond my ability....)

Boy, there sure are a lot that live across the pond here... I feel almost like I'm driving in Formula-1 here, or playing in the Masters Cup. Ah-well... It's no worry to me! Just as long as we can keep good relations going, and share with one-another to help each-other and keep our love for this hobby alive.

Say... I just had a thought: Since vinyl is so popular these days, that companies are coming out of the woodwork with cheesy tabletop & portable players, why not start a letter-writting campaign to companies that made the like of the Triple-Take in the day... Get them to either reproduce the old wares--or at least sell their designs to someone like Crosley, so they can reproduce them? It'll make the cheap, "retro-style" tabletop all-in-ones they currently market appear antiquated, and give the cassette market a boost.