1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's missing in this picture?

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Command8, Sep 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Command8

Command8 Active Member

15373850219381074398817.jpg
    You guessed it. The spring mounted gear on the other side flew off. Thankfully, I found it. I have no idea how to put it back without putting the "S" like gear under tension. It's the white gear in the picture below.
    Does anyone know how to fix it?
    IMG_20180916_190343.jpg

If not I might see if it's possible to mount the head on a px101, it's not an aiwa amorphous head but I think it might improve drastically the sound quality. If anyone is curious about the px101 mod idea check another thread.

2. Harryl89

Harryl89 New Member

Repairing this type of mechanical can be a nightmare.

You should dismount even the clutch, but be careful, mostly the small gear on the clutch is broken, also not easy to fix.

Have a look below this S-like thing, there is a very small spacer, also often broken.

To avoid that this Gear again get off the axle use some glue, also on the same Gear on the other direction.

I stopped looking for WM with this mechanism because it’s not very reliable and as mentioned, hard to fix.

If the clutch is still good you should be happy and give it a try.

I’m thinking to try a EX head in one of my DDs, will be some wintertime tinkering.....

3. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

The problem with the falling spool is very common with a lot of Toshiba "Walky" units. All Toshiba walkman with FF and REW mechanism installed on their spools have these annoying problem.
    What model is this walkman? I tried to zoom on your picture to see the cracked gear but couldn't find it

4. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I don't think the gear is cracked. It's a wm-190.
    IMG_20180920_195030.jpg

5. Command8

Command8 Active Member

I simply wonder if the Frequency response of the px101 can be improved from 30~15,000 to what is rumoured to be an almost perfect 20 - 20,000 frequency response from the ex amorphous head.

Also by clutch do you mean the black thing with the wiggly ss shaped thing that pushes on a metal hinge? That thing looks unbroken but off-center from the center of where the white gear fits. I can push the white gear in place through the gap of s gear with a bit of pressure.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  6. Harryl89

Harryl89 New Member

On this S like part is a small spacer, the white Gear is mostly ok. So remove the big wheel from the belt and the clutch and you will see what I mean.

When the Gear falls from the axle and this spacer is broken the reassembly of the Gear is difficult.

7. Harryl89

Harryl89 New Member

8. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Alright followed through with the whole document. My clutch gear was broken. But now it's fixed. I'll need to purchase new belts for this walkman, hopefully I won't have to change the capacitors, through hole soldering is within my realm of competence, but SMD? No way.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  9. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I have 3 of these machines and all had failed caps...

10. Harryl89

Harryl89 New Member

This generation of WM mostly have leaked Caps, so with all units I already repaired a recap have to be done.
    I really love Sony Walkman but this generation is not their Highlight.......

But when you managed to get them back to work they sound good.

Personally I prefer my Units of the DD Area, own DDII, DD30, DD33.

11. Command8

Command8 Active Member

When I'm free from classes, I'll go and start measuring the ex head and the px101 head with a caliper. If they have enough similarities in the dimensions and height. Then it would be possible to mount or adapt to the px101 chassis.

12. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Alright After lots of testing, i can confirm the wm-190 is more trouble then its worth. using my caliper It seems that the distance between the 2 screws for mounting the head on the aiwa and sony head are extremely close. this seems doable for sure.

For fun I also measured the screw mounting hole distance of the ex head and a WM-DD head. The distance is visible, the DD has a larger screw mounting hole distance for sure.