1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is modern pop music so terrible?

Discussion in 'Music: Albums, cassettes, new releases...' started by Command8, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Antoni

Antoni Active Member

Pop music has always been terrible however, it is what the masses (young consumers with disposal income) want.

If a new music radio station plays the same crap over and over, people will become condition to like it resulting on download sales, some cds and the cycle repeats itself.

All of these and more might apply to all genres of music in some form or another.

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I rambled on this topic more than i should have at audiogon, so I will keep my mouth shut for once...
    But what do you think about this Eurovision contester:
    City Lights
    Love it!
    being an old fart I would rather take another look at mahler than waste my limited time here on Earth listening to some overproduced and pimped-up crap fed onto us. Fripp (king crimson) bitched about this for decades, but some youngsters still manage to sneak under my radar: Pontiak (thank you, @autoreverser !), Imagine Gragons (but the "loudness war" overcompression of their CDs is something quite special!), Deepchord, this Nordic babe with just one song to her credit...
    i was pretty sure that second place at EuroVision would go to I can't go on: the spirit of Abba must have hit me hard!

autoreverser likes this.
  3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

For some reason I still really like bad new music. yea most of it is cringe-worthy and sounds like they could have used anybody to sing it, but some of it is catchy and kind of fun. There's still a few bands working for a bigger-better-deal doing it the old way of lot's of practice, get in the clubs and have a big local crowd. Our clubs are being bull-dozed or "gentrified" at an alarming rate and that will kill the new music scene but the bright spot on the horizon is that iheartradio might go bankrupt soon, one of the companies in the US that kind of was the Google of Music and forced it down our throats like a wadd of cotton.

I was at a flea market last summer, looking for anything cool, but it sucked, the only thing interesting was an old timer that loved music but said "do you notice that radio only plays 2 or 3 Stones Songs?" He had a pretty interesting theory about mind control and how a band like the Stones only had a handful of songs played on the radio when they had a ton of albums and hit songs.....

4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Sometimes all that is needed is a remix and a new video.

I've been enjoying this so much (along with the Wave105 DJs) that I bought it on ITunes

Chris and lupogtiboy like this.
  5. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

Pop music isn’t always bad. I was just reading about Dusty Springfield, she borrowed Pino Donaggio’s melody for You Don’t have To Say You Love Me. Personally I think it’s about ever increasing length of copyright. When I was a kid it was only 30 years, now it’s 70 and lawyers will hunt you down like a dog for stealing. Dusty was pretty proud of her pickpocketing skills. And recently I saw Quincey Jones saying Micheal Jackson robbed ideas without paying the artists involved any royalties.

Standing on the shoulders indeed

6. Mister X

I wonder about that speedy2.0, with all the infringement lawsuits starting in the 80's with Vanilla Ice and then Men at Work paying out multi-million dollar settlements. I would think enterprising young lawyers would be running mp3s through digital analysis software to see if there's any copyright infringement, similar to the patent trolls.

7. speedy2.0

speedy2.0 Active Member

They only do it if it’s cost effective. Spotify makes no money for anyone except Spotify, so they can afford lawyers much the same as airBnB has an army of lawyers. Neither company actually makes anything themselves! I guess there has to be a line drawn somewhere so people don’t just steal ideas

8. Mister X

What I'm thinking is that if someone can identify infringement, and now that music can be digitized it's much easier, they could clean up with endless lawsuits. Just listening to new music I can identify older songs that sound very similar, there's one on my internet radio right now that is a total copy except now it has a basic keyboard/drum background behind horrendous vocals.

9. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Kanye West... Should I say more?... A few memorable snippets got lifted off Bee Gees: the guy has good taste...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  10. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Since I mainly listen to oldies stations these days I heard this for the first time on the way home

I almost had to pull over and stop the car, something Chris De Burgh said he had to do the first time he heard
    Mike and the Mechanic "The Living Years" (shortly after his Father had died).

That one has certainly stood the test of time and I think Ed Sheeran's song
    (which was actually written about his Grandmother) might do as well.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Chris likes this.
  11. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Longman: same here, in my head! Being young I used to freak out much more often, listening to Smoke on the Water or Highway Star, or Another Brick inthe Wall for the first time... Over the last 10 (or is it already 20?) years its been just twice: Flaming Lips battling Evil Robots and Assemblage-23 "Damage"...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  12. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member