The Infamous Marantz Mini Stereo Boombox CH-53/CP-53

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Great find Ralton! You have the model with the rack and the cassette deck case, it looks like you have everything but the power cord and the headphones for the portable, there should be a pretty big wall wart that came with it, did you get that or the wiring? The unit takes an odd voltage, it might be hard to get the right power-supply. What does Mexico use for wall voltage?

2. Van_Isle

Van_Isle New Member

Just ran across one of these. All Marantz branded. PC-30 cassette. USC-5 amp. UST-5 tuner, EQ UEQ-5, speakers ULS-5. Antenna. Bunch of cables. No power supply. I'll rig up a variable DC supply for testing.
    20210217_154423.jpg

Attached Files:

Mystic Traveller, Mister X and Jorge like this.
  3. Mister X

Nice, just be careful and go by the voltage listed on the back. You have the ultra-rare EQ with a Marantz stick on tag, and everything else; the antenna is branded UNIX, I don't think we were expecting them to stick a label on it, the surface isn't flat. Cool stuff, not fantastic but to a collector it's very interesting.

4. Van_Isle

Van_Isle New Member

I hadn't noticed the branding on the antenna, but did note model numbers differed.

5. Van_Isle

Van_Isle New Member

Well ... I rigged up my variable DC power supply and plugged into one speaker ... loop to 2nd speaker ... then loop to the amp. Not so hot. Amp fires up (actually I guess it's more of a pre-amp with power amp in each speaker. Tuner only works on AM. Speakers do not power up. Used headphones for testing. Haven't listened to the cassette yet ... but it does roll tape, FF and REV fine. Amazingly, there is actually a power supply for sale relatively close to me (Vancouver). But I think I'm looking at selling 'parts / repair' so not worth it to get the PS.

6. Mister X

Bummer, yea the little buttons are kind of delicate and may be toast. Most big recievers have push button switches that can do thousands of cycles but I don't think the little ones were built for that, you have to make everything small so it fits in the case.

7. Mister X

I found this ad from Strait Times Newspaper (Singapore) 1983. For some reason there's no branding on the units, some of these were also sold as UNIX.

Strait Times 1983.png

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  8. AE_Stereo

AE_Stereo Member

Very Interesting Unit.
    A photo side by side with any popular boombox would be worth to realize the total size of the unit.

In today's terminology, it would be called an Active Speaker!

Mystic Traveller and Mister X like this.
  9. Mister X

I just found a press release from 1983, It's Real Hi-Fi From a Mini Cassette, Singapore Monitor 1983, I think the cassette player is labeled wrong as a "CP-53"

It's real hi-fi from a mini cassette Singapore Monitor 1983.png

10. Mister X

From a Chinese Blog, taken from Hong Kong New Audio Monthy 1983-1984, this is very similar to the earlier ad I posted, this shows the full unit with all of the components. Anybody familar with the magazine?

marantz pen compo.jpg

11. Mandriva

Mandriva New Member

From Japan Catalog Unix (Marantz) CRS-3.5 Bustang 1981 Unix 1981.jpg

Attached Files:

Mister X likes this.
  12. Mandriva

Mandriva New Member

From Japan Catalog Unix (Marantz) PenPal 1981 (PC220 PC30 PC36 models)
    Unix PenPal 1981.jpg

autoreverser and Mister X like this.
  13. Mister X

Wow, thanks Mandriva! And just like that we found an even rarer model, the PC220, It looks like it one-ups the PC200 by using the boom mic to sing along with your tapes.

14. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

…and all off‘em are Clonemen inside :wink2

15. Mister X

Found in the newest Wegavision Magazine Dump on archive.org, I can't read it but there's a UNIX!

Audio 1983 Heft 2 1.png Audio 1983 Heft 2 2.png
    Audio 1983 Heft 2 3.png

Emiel likes this.
  16. Baracus

Baracus New Member

I just inherited my fathers system, main system seems to be working fine, have tested AM, FM, AUX, and Tape inputs but not Phono yet, assuming it will be fine too
    Can't find the case for the walkman but it might turn up still, I know he had it

He bought it new

Jumped the gun and posted before givinb it a wipe down, dusty smudges on top will come off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
  17. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

gosh, i love it, mate - and this is a proper Cloneman on top :thumbsup2:

Baracus likes this.
  18. Baracus

Baracus New Member

Only issue I am having is that when the signal gets low (ie low volume or gaps between songs) the speakers will power down after a few seconds (lights go off) and then
    come back on once signal kicks in again, and one goes off a little earlier than the other. Noisy when it does it of course

I don't remember it ever doing this but haven't looked at it for years. I assume the should just stay on when power is on, no matter whether there is signal or not?

Anyone know anything about this, normal or not?

Also after looking at the previous posts, I used to have that headset with the mic on it, may turn up also. If I find that and the walkman case I will have e everything that was purchased with it when new.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    Mister X likes this.
  19. Mister X

Nice! Is the power issue with the tape deck? I don't think it matters since it's an FM transmission. I've never noticed mine powering down, I'll look into it. The boom mic is super-rare but very cool, try to find it!

20. Baracus

Baracus New Member

I haven't actually checked the tape deck, might today, it has the weird 3v power source which I don't think came with it so I will put some batteries in.
    Or I may have a variable power source here.

The issue is happening on both Aux (computer plugged in) and FM so likely universal to any input source to the amp
    And definitely low signal triggering it. So if you try and turn the volume too low, the speakers will lose power, or as I mentioned even if you have volume set low enough that it is working, if there is a lull in the song the speakers might drop out, then come back on with a little pop when it kicks back in.

If you are anywhere above approx 2.5 or so on volume it seems to be fine, but speakers still power down between songs, quite annoying

I'll double check I have it hooked up correct with the power and maybe give all the input connectors a little clean, see if that helps.

Other than that it is working fine, all buttons working properly. EQ faders were quite stiff but seem to be loosening up with a bit of use

Mister X likes this.