Power adaptor for Technics XP5

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by Kulgrinda, Jul 24, 2022.

1. Rudy Rodriguez

Rudy Rodriguez Member

Whoa! I received the unique hand-made cable recently from c.fey (eBay handle) in Germany. It was £50 + shipping, and was very much worth it. This is to connect my SL-XP5 to an integrated amp SU-CD50.

Unfortunately, my XP5 does not work. The unit does not spin nor charge. The battery is stuck and can not be removed- even the latch switch is very hard to move. The unit does power on with its LCD screen showing all the icons. I could hear a click when it first powers on. Yeah, never buy an “untested” unit on eBay. I’m guessing the battery bloated and may have leaked to the components. Oh well. Time to open this up.

Attached Files:

Silver965 likes this.
  2. Rudy Rodriguez

Rudy Rodriguez Member

“Forced” to use my slim Sony NE-720 in its place. Still nice but not the same

Attached Files:

3. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

That's a bummer, I got a Walkman with a case once, didn't notice any corrosion in the brief photos, got the unit and the backside was a mess. It was a super-rare unit so I had to keep it....

Rudy Rodriguez likes this.
  4. Kulgrinda

Kulgrinda New Member

That is a pitty unit is not working. To find a tested and working item is very difficult and price will probably be inadequate. Maybe you can check with the guy in Germany, he seems to know those players, maybe he can have a look at it. Mine is still at the repairman waiting to be looked at..

PS SU-CD50 is proper collector's item, I like it. Definitelly not as versatile as some micro hifi system, but really rare. I might be looking into some older micro hifi system from Technics (HD510, HD350 or similar) as they look just great and probably sound half decent. At the moment I have Sony CMT-EX1 and really like it. Materials are premium (aluminium, glass), design is never seen, it even has motion activated eject button. Got it coulpe of years ago for 20 EUR+shipping

5. Rudy Rodriguez

Rudy Rodriguez Member

i had to look this up, and what an amazing unit it is. The loading mechanism is just as impressive as its ejection. And optical out too for recording on a MD. $400-$500 here in the USA on eBay so £20 was quite a steal. Of course you can’t mention such a device without posting a pic!

6. Kulgrinda

Kulgrinda New Member

Sure, here it is with half loaded Iron Maiden cd :) Speakers are actually from another Sony micro system HCD-SD1 - 2 satellite speakers plus subwoofer. This system was really beautifully show-cased in Sony catalogs when I was a teenager, I always wanted to own a set. Sound is disappointing, but they look beautiful and very extraordinary :) Original EX1 speakers sound much better.
    20221228_202105.jpg

Rudy Rodriguez and Mister X like this.
  7. Rudy Rodriguez

Rudy Rodriguez Member

Sick! Very nice indeed.

8. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

So the blue glowing cones are actually part of the speakers.
    Sony HCD-SD1.jpg
    I have seen that CD Receiver (sat on top of the sub-woofer) many times on eBay but the speakers are something else

9. Kulgrinda

Kulgrinda New Member

Cones actually have 2 functions - they glow when unit is on (not only blue, there are 3 RGB controls at the back of each speaker so you could change color to match your interior or mood :) Cones are matt glass) and work as a diffuser for drivers that are mounted on top of the speaker. That is the main drawback of these speakers - sound is very boxy (speakers are actually plastic) and spread out, not concentrated. Without subwoofer it is really bad, with it correctly setup sound is acceptable from further distance.

PS subwoofer base is marble. Probably unnecessary, but still nice touch :)
    61f17822-cfbf-4559-87f1-0e1e57a7bec4.jpg

Emiel likes this.