WM-EX series tac-tac sound repair

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Valentin, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Jehr

Jehr New Member

Thank you! Good point about the heat. I’ll give it a try for that price. I managed to get rid of the click by surgery, cutting and spreading out the teeth on either side of the crack with an exacto and adding some superglue. It is still a little noisy but less of a defined click.

2. johny_2000

johny_2000 Member

Just curious,
    Is this the same mechanism that Valentin mentioned, or a different one?
    Mech.jpg

3. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Hi @johny_2000.
    Which Walkman is this?

4. johny_2000

johny_2000 Member

WM-EX60/EX70

Last edited: May 3, 2024
  5. Emiel

Emiel Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Clear. @Valentin : is this one part of the family?
    Indicated by number 223, it is the same clutch as the EX66, EX77, EX88, and FX707: X-3362-554-1, CLUTCH ASSY?

6. Valentin

Valentin Well-Known Member

EX60 and EX70 clearly no, see picture attached. Circled part is not the clutch, picture was marked for a different thread.
    And same applies to the rest of the series mentioned to have #223 clutch marked on diagram.

Attached Files:

johny_2000 and Emiel like this.
  7. johny_2000

johny_2000 Member

Thank you. Less to worry about. I have not yet checked the integrity of the gears of the EX60 mechanism. Still waiting for packages from three different parts suppliers. When I have all this in hand, I unsolder the circuit board and carefully check the gears, cam mechanism, levers, etc. I will also lubricate the capstans, replace the pinch rollers and the drive belt. I'm not sure if I want to do anything with this brushless motor. It seems to me that its body is well sealed on all sides. Therefore, getting to its insides for cleaning and lubrication is clearly not easy.

Last edited: May 3, 2024
  8. Valentin

In regard to the motor, the design is similar to the one presented in this thread: https://stereo2go.com/forums/threads/how-to-diassemble-and-lubricate-sony-wm-ex-fx-gx-motor.7940/,
    but with a cover like this one https://stereo2go.com/forums/thread...-type-motor-in-sony-walkmans.7943/#post-59754.

It's easier than it looks to open: heating the case with a soldering iron will soften that glue and then it can be removed with a pair of tweezers.
    Will add pictures with it on the thread with EX motors. Think it's worth lubricating it.

9. Jehr

Jehr New Member

Hi Valentin, my gear arrived, it was pretty flat but I gave it some gentle manipulation. Any glue recommendations for this? Superglue? Thank you.

10. Valentin

Liquid type super glue is what I have used. But before you glue make sure you note the right orientation of the gear.

11. Jehr

Jehr New Member

Ok, thank you. I will double check orientation. Are you talking the plastic gear totally flipped or does it need to go into the alignment holes a certain way?

12. Valentin

Am talking about the gear not being totally flipped, because it can be installed on both sides of the metal disc but only one side is correct.

13. Jehr

Jehr New Member

Got it! I will triple check. Thank you.

14. Jehr

Jehr New Member

Decent success to report with that lower cost ebay gear. Ex3 is running great!

15. On The Beach

On The Beach Active Member

I found this on Aliexpress. I haven’t bought because I don’t need one but thought it may help others.

Gear for Sony Wm-ex2000ex921gx654 Gx651ex67ex655fx688fx877 cassette walkman player
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_msw3WSs

Valentin likes this.